PDA

View Full Version : California's Butte Creek Spring Run salmon survey

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-07-2021, 10:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAlgBhiohfQ

Mark Kranhold
06-08-2021, 09:13 AM
That’s a healthy watershed! I’m surprised the pot growers up above haven’t effected it so bad.

wineslob
06-08-2021, 09:55 AM
Not sure how it is now after the Camp Fire.

Fishtopher
06-08-2021, 01:18 PM

Not Butte Creek but another CV tributary that is having a record run of springers this year. Ran into several other pools like this one over the weekend.

Mark Kranhold
06-08-2021, 03:39 PM
That’s rad, such a great photo! Deer creek?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-08-2021, 03:51 PM

Not Butte Creek but another CV tributary that is having a record run of springers this year. Ran into several other pools like this one over the weekend.

That makes me feel so good......................

John H
06-08-2021, 07:54 PM
That is amazing with all the bad salmon news and bad water news out there. Especially for the spring chinook which seems almost extinct in California. I am not sure if they cranked up hatchery production or if there were really good ocean conditions or what. I am going springer fishing in a couple of weeks in Washington. In my experience they are a very difficult fish to catch. Great photo. Thanks.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-08-2021, 10:08 PM
They have Springers on the Rogue and Klamath rivers and they are hard to catch on anything but good bait.

According to Matt Johnson of the CDF&W, Butte Creek is the best tributary of the Sacramento river for Spring King salmon. It comes in right above the mouth of the Feather river.

Fishtopher
06-09-2021, 11:58 AM
That’s rad, such a great photo! Deer creek?

Not Deer Creek. The spring run on this creek is typically <250 fish. Last surveys had around 1100 already. Lots of restoration going on in this creek so hopefully this becomes the new norm.

Butte Creek gets springer runs in the 10-20k range regularly and is by far the healthiest spring run population in the state.

Mark Kranhold
06-09-2021, 02:19 PM
Not Deer Creek. The spring run on this creek is typically <250 fish. Last surveys had around 1100 already. Lots of restoration going on in this creek so hopefully this becomes the new norm.

Butte Creek gets springer runs in the 10-20k range regularly and is by far the healthiest spring run population in the state.

Wow that’s Awesome, thanks for the stats! I hope the thrive, we need more fish and healthier watersheds!

noyo55
06-18-2021, 12:28 PM
17112 Spring King Salmon can be caught on the fly. They are more difficult to catch than fall Kings but they do grab. There do fight differently making long runs and are tougher pound for pound. Avg. is lower teens. The river will remain nameless as its a delicate fishery and cant stand much pressure.

Bob Smith
06-22-2021, 10:15 AM
I know that river estuary well and personally prefer the spring fishery over the fall one (even though springers are much harder to entice). The fall fishery has gotten a bit too busy for me...