PDA

View Full Version : NOAA warns of potential for a massive Salmon die off in California this summer

tcorfey
05-13-2021, 05:37 PM
Link to the article in the SF Chronicle...
https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/environment/amp/Fears-of-a-massive-salmon-die-off-this-summer-in-16172802.php

or cut/paste
https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/environment/amp/Fears-of-a-massive-salmon-die-off-this-summer-in-16172802.php

Rossflyguy
05-13-2021, 05:42 PM
This would be really sad BUT a wake up call for everyone to pay attention to the poor water management.

Fishtopher
05-13-2021, 06:31 PM
The entire year class of winter-run Chinook that spawn in the river will likely perish this summer. There just isn't enough cold water available due to the drought. Interestingly, this is the driest two year period ever recorded rivaling the droughts of the late 70s. We are in unprecedented territory when it comes to droughts and water management. I'm no advocate of raising Shasta Dam, but this would be something that would greatly help winter-run Chinook in dry years like this.

I'm wondering if Reclamation will revisit trapping and hauling winter-run above Shasta Dam to let them spawn in the tributaries. There was a pilot study done several years ago that was looking promising.

Darian
05-14-2021, 04:57 PM
Trapping fish and planting them above Dams sounds good but all reservoirs in NorCal appear to be at very low levels. Also, water temps may be or are already too warm as Fishtopher points out. So, would any planting have to occur upstream?? Even upstream waters would be low/warm.... BuRec may be saying, "Damned if you do and Damned if you don't."

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-14-2021, 07:09 PM
California has the 5th largest economy in the World so it is no wonder that it has attracted the crookedest, greediest politicians.

One of the largest scandals in California's history is the control of the water by the crooked and greedy SOBs.

If you think California is ever getting better you need to get better intel.

I have watched our fishing steadily going down for the past 50 years.

In 1970s thousands of salmon and steelhead came into the lower American river.

We could catch stripers from the banks with anything.

You could almost walk across the boats at the mouth and at state college.

I hear the caddis hatches are wide open on the river with nothing there to eat them?

Between rising crime and rising taxes you will all be leaving here eventually.

Watch house prices....they are going up in the nicer parts of CA.

When they turn down for the final time you will have waited too long to sell and get out.

There is a mass exodus from California and just wait till things get much worse.

I heard that they are letter over 70,000 convicted felons out of prisons here?

No body wants to be a police officer anymore because they are being demonized.

They are pushing a false narrative to the entire World that Americans are systematically racist? WTH?

The southern border is wide open............I guess some thinks this is just wonderful.

We are selling our home and leaving for good...................

PV_Premier
05-16-2021, 10:06 PM

Florida is not without its problems...FWIW...and the fishing there isn't what it was 50 years ago either...

Digger
05-19-2021, 07:31 PM
OK Bill. I'm glad you said it.
I could add, but don't really need to.
It's just sad.

Mark Kranhold
05-19-2021, 08:11 PM
California has the 5th largest economy in the World so it is no wonder that it has attracted the crookedest, greediest politicians.

One of the largest scandals in California's history is the control of the water by the crooked and greedy SOBs.

If you think California is ever getting better you need to get better intel.

I have watched our fishing steadily going down for the past 50 years.

In 1970s thousands of salmon and steelhead came into the lower American river.

We could catch stripers from the banks with anything.

You could almost walk across the boats at the mouth and at state college.

I hear the caddis hatches are wide open on the river with nothing there to eat them?

Between rising crime and rising taxes you will all be leaving here eventually.

Watch house prices....they are going up in the nicer parts of CA.

When they turn down for the final time you will have waited too long to sell and get out.

There is a mass exodus from California and just wait till things get much worse.

I heard that they are letter over 70,000 convicted felons out of prisons here?

No body wants to be a police officer anymore because they are being demonized.

They are pushing a false narrative to the entire World that Americans are systematically racist? WTH?

The southern border is wide open............I guess some thinks this is just wonderful.

You said it well, love it Bill! Amen!!

Rossflyguy
05-20-2021, 06:09 AM
Florida is not without its problems...FWIW...and the fishing there isn't what it was 50 years ago either...

We’re not talking about Florida. We’re talking about California and the salmon population.

PV_Premier
05-20-2021, 06:09 PM
We’re not talking about Florida. We’re talking about California and the salmon population.

Could’ve fooled me... I didn’t realize that there were illegal salmon crossing the southern border and 70,000 convicted felon salmon being dumped haplessly into our rivers :rolleyes:

I need to call my representative!