PDA

View Full Version : Jon Baiocchi, we lost a good one.

TaylerW
04-22-2021, 07:09 PM
Jon passed unexpectedly. Really in shock. Would like to put together a memorial for him on the Yuba once
we have time to process this. He passed while doing what he loved, sharing fly fishing with eager students.

Thoughts to his family.

Jeff C.
04-22-2021, 07:48 PM
So sorry to hear! RIP Jonny B!

Quinnphoto
04-22-2021, 08:02 PM
OMG!!!! This is devastating news. The NorCal fly fishing community just lost a great teacher and good guy. RIP Jon.

Smitty Fish
04-22-2021, 08:07 PM
So sorry to hear this. He was an outstanding teacher and guide for fly fishing.
R.I.P. Jon.

JohnR
04-22-2021, 08:12 PM
My wife and I are crushed... we fished with him just two weeks ago, with plans to see him again soon. I only fished with him once but we had a ton in common, we are the same age, and he seemed like a brother.

Jay Murakoshi
04-22-2021, 08:48 PM
Whoa.... Shocked.. Sorry to hear this about Jon.
RIP Jon.

Mark Kranhold
04-22-2021, 09:16 PM
NO way!!! This is shocking and terrible! Going to miss his knowledge and insight on his beloved streams he cherished so much. RIP Johnny B

Natekursow
04-22-2021, 10:33 PM
Thats horrible! I was just in contact with him last week, I am so sorry.

NK

mattv-mcfly
04-22-2021, 11:58 PM
I just saw that he posted a report about the MFFR. This is so sad. Jon and I shared information about some of our favorite rivers in the past. I really looked up to him he was one of a kind.

Ralph
04-23-2021, 07:05 AM
RIP Jonny! You humor, sincerity, and energy will be missed by anyone who's life you ever touched.

steveg137
04-23-2021, 10:55 AM
I can't believe this. Never met him but read all of his content. So young. RIP Jon

PV_Premier
04-23-2021, 11:29 AM
Wow. This is a real shock.

Bob Loblaw
04-23-2021, 01:25 PM
I only fished with Jon one time about 10 years ago but every time I ran into him on the Yuba since he remembered my name, was always free with tips, where the fish were holding, what they were eating, what time the hatch would come off...and often how my size 18 BWOs weren't really a size 18, more like a 16. Last time I saw him he complimented me on my clumsily tied Unit Skwalas.

One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet on a river. A big loss.

Live every day like its your last.

steveg137
04-23-2021, 01:30 PM
Sad events like this remind one of mortality.
With a young kid I will be working for while yet even though I'm 52 and can't fish as much as I'd like.
Jon had such a big impact on lots people including people like me he hadn't met.
Such a shame

k.hanley
04-23-2021, 05:44 PM
I can't even think straight right now. Such a loss. RIP brother.

lee s.
04-23-2021, 07:15 PM
Such a shock! So many people knew Jon as a friend.

coltss
04-23-2021, 07:56 PM
Unbelievable, such a great guy full of fishing information and was always ready to share whether you were a client or not. I seem to run into him all the time at Lake Davis and we would chat and he would provide the most update info about the conditions, flies and areas to fish and always had a smile. I believe he really wanted everyone to succeed. I will definitely miss seeing him at Davis and that will be my first thought as I approach the lake.

yubaman
04-24-2021, 10:37 AM
I only met Jon once. I made a donation to his Go Fund Me page when his truck and boat were stolen a couple of years back. I always appreciated him taking the time to write an informative report on the Yuba. It was about the last decent Yuba report out there on the web. And a decent Truckee report as well. He sent me a personal email thanking me for the donation.

Last year, while fishing the Yuba, he was going by fishing in a kayak, and he stopped to chat it up. He asked me my name, and damned if he didn't remember my name from the Go Fund Me donation. He said again how thankful he was for that, and like other have said, imported every bit of recent info he had on the river, and what flies were working where I was fishing.

So very sorry to hear about this, he seemed like such a great guy and steward for our passion.

Bob

JayDubP
04-24-2021, 02:09 PM
I first met Jon at a Lance Gray float workshop on the Lower Yuba. Gave me advice on how to quickly and safely store rods for going through whitewater.

I later used him to guide me twice and met him several times over the last 10 years--- he always knew my name and loved to talk fly fishing.

Fly fishers are predominantly good people and Jon surely was one of the good people.

Jim

Carl Blackledge
04-24-2021, 05:57 PM
How did he die?

JohnR
04-24-2021, 06:07 PM
Massive heart attack while guiding clients on MF Feather. He was 54 and in great shape. Amazing impact he had on so many people.

flyfish21
04-24-2021, 07:56 PM
Jon and I exchanged email about 5 times a year for several years. He was so knowledgeable and willing to help anybody with just about everything related to fly fishing. His loss will affect all of us as we need people like Jon in our life who has a unique way of sharing the gift of fly fishing. I think he should just his father in the FFF HALL OF FAME. I hope his fellow guides will submit a request for his induction. I will do whatever to help that cause. Amen.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-24-2021, 07:57 PM
Here is a nice video from Jon's website:

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Baiocchis-Troutfitters-promotional-video-30-MB.mp4?_=1

Most of us old timers knew Jon's dad well, Bob Baiocchi, who was a powerful fighter for the fisheries environment.

I have been looking daily for Jon's obituary.

hwchubb
04-25-2021, 08:11 AM
Jon was another one of those online “friends I’ve never met” for me. I knew his dad well from time I spent on the NCCFFF board (thanks for making me an official old timer, Bill) and Jon seemed like a great ambassador for our sport. What struck me about his fishing reports was his observations about everything going on both in and around the river, and his obvious love of the water and the environment we love to spend time in. Too young - I’m sorry I never met him in person.

Jcolin
04-25-2021, 06:37 PM
Very sorry to hear this. Never met Jon, but before I floated the Yuba for the first time I reached out to him asking if there was anything to watch out for after the big winters we had and he sent me a bunch of tips and included a hand drawn map of the float, was very generous of him. My condolences to his friends and family.

John Quigley
04-25-2021, 10:48 PM
Totally shocked to hear this! RIP Jon.
You will be missed by many.

OceanSunfish
04-26-2021, 09:23 AM
Terrible and sad news. Not only did many lose a great friend, the fishing community lost a great advocate for many waterways/fisheries. We exchanged emails regarding the health and future of Davis Lake the past few years. I learned a great deal about how I can help the lake. My condolences to his friends and family.

Ned Morris
04-26-2021, 12:52 PM
God rest his soul. Prayers to Jon and may he be hitting the rivers in heaven with the best!

BobVP
04-26-2021, 01:05 PM
I am sorry to read this about Jon.
We never met face to face but we had some on line trading a few years back and he was an upstanding fellow.
Like many of you I always appreciated what Jon had to say in his posts.
My condolences to his family and friends.

BS
04-27-2021, 08:17 PM
I didn't know Jon other than his posts here and looking at his blogs...........................

He always appeared as a "stand up guy" and seemed to be admired by all of us.

The passing of Jon is a great loss for our Fly Fishing community.

I guess we can take solace knowing that Jon has re-joined his Father, Jay Fair, and Frank Pisciotta.

I'm sure they're all putting the hurt to lots of big fish now.

My condolences to all of Jon's family and friends.

We'll miss you Jon.

Respectfully,

Bob Storey

PV_Premier
04-28-2021, 09:36 AM
Any updates on memorial services/obituary?

SteelyJon
04-28-2021, 11:26 PM
Jon and I ran into each other a lot this winter on the Yuba. I talked to him about 30 minutes after he had landed his "unicorn" steelhead. We were going to fish together on the Middle Fork. Such a cool guy. A major loss to our community. So much wisdom and knowledge gone in an instant. Hope to join you at the memorial.
Life and our sport are precious. Never taking my days on the river for granted. Much love Jon. You will be missed.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-29-2021, 08:00 AM
Jon's big Steelhead......

https://www.theunion.com/lifestyles/outdoors-lifestyles/denis-peirce-steelhead-of-a-lifetime-on-the-yuba/

Still no obituary.

Ralph
04-29-2021, 12:39 PM
Still no obituary.

We live a couple miles from where Jon died. Watched search and rescue going over the hill with a litter . It was a pretty big response, but our local paper still hasn't done an article, much less an obit. When my step dad died, the paper wanted $250. to run an obit (we didn't buy). Wonder if that is now par for the course.

yubaman
04-29-2021, 02:50 PM
Pretty much. Complimentary obituaries went the way of $1.50 per gallon gas. Down in the bay, local papers charge as much as $500. Unfortunately I had to find out not too long ago.

amoeba
05-01-2021, 10:11 AM
We live a couple miles from where Jon died. Watched search and rescue going over the hill with a litter . It was a pretty big response, but our local paper still hasn't done an article, much less an obit. When my step dad died, the paper wanted $250. to run an obit (we didn't buy). Wonder if that is now par for the course.

If this wasn't news and an opportunity (now missed) to inform and educate, I wonder what else was going on in your local news up there.

Ralph
05-01-2021, 06:07 PM
If this wasn't news and an opportunity (now missed) to inform and educate, I wonder what else was going on in your local news up there.
A lot. Depends if anyone show up to work that day. It is a small local news sheet. Days can go by before it publishes anything outside of Covid updates and notes from a board of supervisor's meeting. It's free on-line and there is no longer a print edition. One of the perks of living in the weeds, is that you don't get fed a daily ration of "news" about shootings, politics, drug busts, etc. I don't miss it one bit!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-02-2021, 04:21 PM
I just received Jon's Obituary from his sister, Christina:

"Where to begin?

Fly fisherman, naturalist, guide, educator, author, speaker, skateboarder, professional snowboarder,
BMX and motocross racer, Jon Francis Baiocchi passed suddenly on Thursday morning, April 22, 2021
while guiding on his beloved Middle Fork of the Feather River, near Cromberg. He was 55.

Jon's remarkable and unconventional life began on November 15, 1965 in San Jose, California, two
years prior to his parents, Bob and Lois Baiocchi, relocating their young family of six to rural Paradise
to live closer to nature and native fisheries. Under the instruction of his father and elder brother, Jon
had a rod in his hands by age 6 and was guiding professionally by 30 as “Baiocchi's Troutfitters”.

The Jack London of the family, Jon's was a life well-lived. He recognized this and was grateful for it.

Jon is survived by his brother Joel, sisters Christina and Teresa, niece Luci Grace, nephew Justin, and
an anthology of reports, videos, writings, and musings on fly-fishing and all things flora and fauna.
A memorial is being planned and will be announced as soon as possible.

Correspondence can be addressed to the Baiocchi Family at: P.O. Box 917, Mendocino, CA 95460

Contributions can be directed in Jon's name to: Trout Unlimited for watershed restoration purposes."

“I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze
than it should be stifled by dryrot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow,
than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.”
~ J. London

Mike Malekos
05-03-2021, 12:42 PM
I was stunned to learn of this tragic news. Jon was an incredibly skilled fly fisher, as well as a much in demand guide and speaker who will be remembered by his tremendous spirit, and the joy he brought to so many. May his memory be eternal.