PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac Overnight Float

Jcolin
03-23-2021, 11:20 AM
Would like to do an overnight on the lower Sac in my drift boat with a few buddies end of April, depending on flows. Am thinking launch Friday around noon or so, take out Sunday afternoon so two nights camping. Any suggestions for put in and take out in that time frame with plenty of time to stop and fish?

Thanks for any help.

bonish
03-23-2021, 12:17 PM
Would like to do an overnight on the lower sac in my drift boat with a few buddies end of april, depending on flows. Am thinking launch friday around noon or so, take out sunday afternoon so two nights camping. Any suggestions for put in and take out in that time frame with plenty of time to stop and fish? Thanks for any help

Balls Ferry to Sycamore Park in Red Bluff. Vehicles should be somewhat more secure at Sycamore, plus lots of BLM land in between. Or keep going down to Los Molinos.

Tony Buzolich
03-23-2021, 12:21 PM
I think I'd decide where I want to take out at. Jelly's Ferry or Balls Ferry unless you want to take really long ride. As for camping there are two large islands downstream from the Anderson launch ramp several miles. They are only accessed by boat but safer than camping along the shore.

Most of the water is fairly deep with no major rapids to deal with in that area.

Plan your take-out spot first, and have fun.
Tony

TahoeJoe
03-23-2021, 01:31 PM
I was going to do something like that awhile back and it never got past the planning stage. I'd like to hear how it goes.

When planning, I discovered that The Fly Shop in Redding can arrange a shuttle for you and they will keep your vehicle in a secure location while you float. To me that's worth every penny of the shuttle price.

Fishtopher
03-23-2021, 03:03 PM
What do you want to fish for? Shad and Stripers will be in the river around then. Could easily do a Red Bluff to Chico run in that time frame. Would likely find trout in Red Bluff and start picking up Shad and Stripers as you move downstream. A motor is advantageous but not completely necessary. Lots of gravel bars to camp out on.

Steve S
03-23-2021, 07:40 PM
Is there any overnight camping on the River from Keswick to Anderson?

Jcolin
03-23-2021, 10:28 PM
Thank you all for the responses! Was planning on targeting trout and nymphing from the boat, but also bringing my 5 wt spey for swinging runs, the few times I've fished the lower Sac on the way back from other rivers always looked like a good river to swing a fly in, at least where you can wade. Is the trout fishing good all the way down to Red Bluff? I do have a 6 hp Mercury motor that came with my drift boat when I bought it last year with only a few engine hours on it, but havent used it yet. Will be taking it out to a lake soon to figure it out before I attempt it in a river. I’ll make sure to post a trip report after we go.

Jcolin
03-23-2021, 10:30 PM
I was going to do something like that awhile back and it never got past the planning stage. I'd like to hear how it goes.

When planning, I discovered that The Fly Shop in Redding can arrange a shuttle for you and they will keep your vehicle in a secure location while you float. To me that's worth every penny of the shuttle price.

Thank you, will definitely get in touch with The Fly Shop.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-24-2021, 04:57 AM
About 20 years ago Jeff Putnam and 3 friends in two drift boats did a float-n-camp on the lower Feather river in the Spring.

I believe all 4 were top fly fishers and they said the fishing was not very good.

They attributed it to the millions of small new born fish in the river giving the gamefish plenty to eat.

I think they were hoping for Stripers and Smallmouth bass.

NCL
03-24-2021, 09:00 AM
You can get trout down to at least to Los Molinos, so any float from Redding down you will be in good nymphing water. You mentioned late April and at that time if I remember correctly the flows will be back up to the 10 to 12K CFS. Camping will be more problematic below Payne's Creek as almost all the land is private, as was mentioned there is BLM property above Bend Bridge but there is also private property in the same area, there used to be restrooms at Massacre Flats, have not been up there in a few years so not sure if they are still there or not. With the increased flows there is less swing water but traveling by boat you should still find plenty. I live in the Bend near Red Bluff so familiar with the area around Bend Bridge. I have done every float from Posse Grounds to almost Los Molinos which is about 7 different floats depending on how you break them up. Be careful going through China Rapids and Iron Canyon.
On a side note on a float between Bend Bridge and Red Bluff we hooked 6 different species of fish.

Jcolin
03-24-2021, 01:37 PM
Great thanks NCL. Am thinking Posse grounds boat ramp to Balls Ferry, launching Friday afternoon and taking out Sunday afternoon. If the flows are higher maybe further to Jellys Ferry. Saw that was a primitive launch though, and would prefer a paved ramp after busting up my trailer on the lower Yuba river. I did see some good islands to camp on Friday and Sat night, figured that was a safe bet as far as weirdos go but am wondering if they are private property or not now. Also hoping they wont be covered by water in higher flows. The first one for Friday night is a very large island a bit below Bonnyview, not too far from the put in.

Thanks all for helping me plan this!

bonish
03-24-2021, 03:05 PM
Great thanks NCL. Am thinking posse boat ramp to balls ferry, launching friday afternoon and taking out sunday afternoon. If the flows are higher maybe further to jellys ferry. Saw that was a primitive launch though, and would prefer a paved ramp after busting up my trailer on the lower yuba. I did see some good islands to camp on friday and sat night, figured that was a safe bet as far as wierdos go but am wondering if they are private property or not now. Also hoping they wont be covered by water in higher flows. The first one for friday night is a very large island a bit below bonnyview, not too far from the put in. Thanks all for helping me plan this!

I think the maps on this site will help you identify ownership: https://www.sacramentoriver.org

luckyt
03-24-2021, 04:33 PM
In your planning you need to remember that the river is closed to all fishing from Posse Grounds to Cypress Street Bridge from April 1 to August 1. You might want to check with The Fly Shop for the most up to date info. I am fishing up there April 5 and we needed to adjust our fishing trip...

Fishtopher
03-24-2021, 07:59 PM
In your planning you need to remember that the river is closed to all fishing from Posse Grounds to Cypress Street Bridge from April 1 to August 1. You might want to check with The Fly Shop for the most up to date info. I am fishing up there April 5 and we needed to adjust our fishing trip...

The closure is actually from Keswick Dam downstream to the Hwy 44 West overcrossing which is the bridge below Sundial.

NCL
03-25-2021, 07:23 AM
That is a good point about the closure and you might want to check with DFG if you can even float from Posse. I remember I did a shuttle a few years ago for a veteran group fishing tournament and I think they had to get permission to launch at Posse. The float from Posse to the island you mentioned will take awhile as the float from Posse to Bonnyview ramp is at least a half day.

The ramp at Jelly's is used constantly by guides so I would say even though it is not paved you should not have a problem. With that said there is construction of the bridge going so not sure about overnight parking.

luckyt
03-25-2021, 04:09 PM
Fishtopher..thanks for clarifying my post on the river closure...i am an out of towner and need to be checked...Tom

Jcolin
04-26-2021, 12:09 PM
Thank you all for all the help in planning my float, we had a great time. Floated from bonnyview to jellys ferry with a couple buddies from high school, camped out on islands friday and saturday nights. Wind was really tough saturday afternoon and waves were pretty concerning in the drift boat but other than that an easy float. Definitely the biggest water by far ive ever rowed, need to learn more about rowing for fishing as i always just get out and swing runs floating by myself. My buddies did manage to hook some rainbows their first time fly fishing which was great.Lots of caddis, pmds and golden stones, saw quite a few salmon flies, also some spring chinook rolling in the faster water. So grateful for the help Ive received on this forum over the last few years