PDA

View Full Version : Preferred sunglass lens color?

BobMac
02-19-2021, 06:36 PM
For our local NorCal waters, is there a preferred color of sunglass lenses? I see blue and green often. On the other hand, is there a color that does NOT work well locally or elsewhere?

Thanks

Brian Clemens
02-19-2021, 10:20 PM
Costa 580G copper lens silver mirror

JayDubP
02-20-2021, 10:51 AM
For our local NorCal waters, is there a preferred color of sunglass lenses? I see blue and green often. On the other hand, is there a color that does NOT work well locally or elsewhere?

Thanks

My eye doctor is a fly fisherman and what he prescribed for me: for seeing a dry fly (or indicator) and seeing into shallow water- polarized lenses are mandatory with amber/copper/brown color is best since they reduce blue light. I have 2 pairs of Rx sunglasses: medium amber for daytime and light amber for low light (overcast days or early am/late pm)-- but that is me.

Orvis did an article several years ago on this-- https://www.orvis.com/s/sunglasses-for-fishing/14628

Jim

Carl Blackledge
02-20-2021, 05:42 PM

Thanks

Use the glasses you see the best with...most peoples eyes are different?
Carl

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-20-2021, 08:29 PM
We used yellow/amber in low light.

Light brown in high light.

Green/Gray for driving your boat or car?

BobMac
02-26-2021, 05:36 PM
Thanks all for the input; I appreciate your viewpoints.

I've decided to go with a good quality pair of sunglasses, since it appears we'll be getting a refund from Uncle Sam.:rolleyes:

Purchased the Smith Guide's Choice Polarchromatic glass in Igniter lens color (pretty much an amber color). The fit was the best for my face, and the comfort on the bridge is also good.

Will give them an on the water test on Tuesday.

Bob