PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid 1/23

Pvillarr
01-24-2021, 12:25 PM
My father and I decided to hit the Mid and head over the pass through unplowed snow in Truckee and Sparks on Pyramid Way. It was quite the adventure. The day offered light snow/rain, cloud cover, and good wind.

The theme for the day was to “expect the unexpected.” I decided to try out the patterns that Quinnphoto had success with in his last post. Unfortunately for me, I did not have any luck (keep in mind that we had totally different weather conditions as a comparison). So it was back to the fly box for me...I decided to try out what worked from my previous trip with no luck as well. Then I decided to try out what worked from my trip 2x ago with no luck again. So I decided to try something entirely different and we finally got into some fish.

We ended up catching 8 fish, 1 double digit, and a few LDRs. The double digit was somewhere between 12-14lbs as the scale was being weird in the cold. The hot ticket were dark midges that produced. It was kind of a tough day but it eventually worked out.

So I am convinced that productive patterns can literally change daily at Pyramid Lake. I hope one day I figure out some consistency.

On that note, maybe conditions will be a little more consistent at the Mid after these storms. Tight lines everyone!16562

Quinnphoto
01-24-2021, 01:09 PM
My father and I decided to hit the Mid and head over the pass through unplowed snow in Truckee and Sparks on Pyramid Way. It was quite the adventure. The day offered light snow/rain, cloud cover, and good wind.

The theme for the day was to “expect the unexpected.” I decided to try out the patterns that Quinnphoto had success with in his last post. Unfortunately for me, I did not have any luck (keep in mind that we had totally different weather conditions as a comparison). So it was back to the fly box for me...I decided to try out what worked from my previous trip with no luck as well. Then I decided to try out what worked from my trip 2x ago with no luck again. So I decided to try something entirely different and we finally got into some fish.

We ended up catching 8 fish, 1 double digit, and a few LDRs. The double digit was somewhere between 12-14lbs as the scale was being weird in the cold. The hot ticket were dark midges that produced. It was kind of a tough day but it eventually worked out.

So I am convinced that productive patterns can literally change daily at Pyramid Lake. I hope one day I figure out some consistency.

On that note, maybe conditions will be a little more consistent at the Mid after these storms. Tight lines everyone!16562

Thanks for the report Peter. I think your day worked out pretty well. If at first you don’t succeed try try again. It’s so cool your dad goes to fish with you. I think midges at your beach is the ticket.

BS
01-24-2021, 06:46 PM
The day offered light snow/rain, cloud cover, and good wind.

The theme for the day was to “expect the unexpected.”

So I decided to try something entirely different and we finally got into some fish.

The hot ticket were dark midges that produced. It was kind of a tough day but it eventually worked out.

So I am convinced that productive patterns can literally change daily at Pyramid Lake.

Good job finding out what those danged cutthroat wanted. :cool::cool::cool:

Maybe the old adage "Dark sky, Dark fly" rang true for you yesterday.

And good job to your father for holding up the "pig of the day". :cool::cool:
Was that his fish ????

Gawd............................I need to get back out there soon......................:(:(:(

Dang Unpredictable Cutthroats..................................

Envious Bob

guido
01-24-2021, 07:13 PM

Wow! That fish could eat what we catch around here. Quite stunning!

I've caught Stripers in that class on a fly but it never ceases to amaze when I see trout that big...

Pvillarr
01-24-2021, 11:00 PM
Good job finding out what those danged cutthroat wanted. :cool::cool::cool:

Maybe the old adage "Dark sky, Dark fly" rang true for you yesterday.

And good job to your father for holding up the "pig of the day". :cool::cool:
Was that his fish ????

Gawd............................I need to get back out there soon......................:(:(:(

Dang Unpredictable Cutthroats..................................

Envious Bob

He sure did Bob. He has caught the biggest fish on the last 2 trips! I’ve been playing the role of the psuedo guide lol

Pvillarr
01-24-2021, 11:01 PM
Wow! That fish could eat what we catch around here. Quite stunning!

I've caught Stripers in that class on a fly but it never ceases to amaze when I see trout that big...

It’s a blast catching a big one out there...in fact, it is addicting!

Katz
01-25-2021, 09:16 AM
Beautiful fish. Love the spots!

Pvillarr
01-25-2021, 10:05 AM
Beautiful fish. Love the spots!

Thanks. I am glad we got that one!