PDA

View Full Version : Odd Day at Putah Creek

Rossflyguy
01-08-2021, 05:55 PM
The wife and I decided to hike the creek today and pick up trash. Haven’t fished it for a couple years. Stopped at access 3. Figure no one would be there. My bird dog ran up on two chickens next to the water and found a third dead. Looks like scavengers got it. Walked up towards access 2. I was looking for spawners and noticed apples, bananas, and cookies floating down stream. Not just a couple, looked like a box from Costco was dumped into the water. I looked up and saw 4 people there. One started pouring water over her head. I thought they were dumping their trash in the water. When I got closer I could smell strong alcohol and my dog got real “birdie” again. It gave me the creeps so I moved the family up the trail. When they left, they left in quite a hurry, I checked out the spot they were at. I walked up to even more cookies that didn’t make it down stream and three HEADLESS CHICKENS. I’m guessing the two my dog tried to grab plus the dead one might have been escaped ritual birds. Definitely creeped me out when they were there before I knew it was some type of ritual. Follow your gut feeling people.

steveg137
01-08-2021, 08:00 PM
Seriously there are some weird and f up people around!

Years ago I came across a couple "at-it" on a blanket at putah, not far off the trail. They seemed quite engrossed. Mind you there were no headless chickens.

JohnR
01-08-2021, 10:24 PM
Did they appear to be Latin American? 15 years ago a house across the street (in Redwood City) was raided by ATF/DEA/FBI and in summary, the occupants turned out to be high level El Salvadoran drug dealers, with many hundreds of thousands of dollars buried in the backyard, in the same pit with dozens of sacrificed goats and chickens. Sacrificing animals is a big part of some of the drug gang's MO. I would report to the county Sheriff asap. They are likely very bad people.

Rossflyguy
01-08-2021, 10:28 PM
Did they appear to be Latin American? 15 years ago a house across the street (in Redwood City) was raided by ATF/DEA/FBI and in summary, the occupants turned out to be high level El Salvadoran drug dealers, with many hundreds of thousands of dollars buried in the backyard, in the same pit with dozens of sacrificed goats and chickens. Sacrificing animals is a big part of some of the drug gang's MO. I would report to the county Sheriff asap. They are likely very bad people.

Yea they were Hispanic. I notified DFG since it’s obviously animal cruelty and dumping things into the river. I don’t think it’ll be taken serious since it’s just chickens, fruits, and cookies. I figure if they’re sacrificing life it’s probably not friendly spirits they’re worshiping.

Rossflyguy
01-08-2021, 10:29 PM
Seriously there are some weird and f up people around!

Years ago I came across a couple "at-it" on a blanket at putah, not far off the trail. They seemed quite engrossed. Mind you there were no headless chickens.

I’d rather run into that than what I saw today.

dynaflow
01-09-2021, 02:29 AM
Do you know what a variation of "putah" is btw? :eek:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-09-2021, 05:03 AM
With all the 'weed/pot/dope' growers, illegals and homeless I think California might be getting a bit more dangerous?

Here on Central Florida's East Coast a man was strolling on the beach and found a package had washed up on the shore.

It was 71# of heroin worth about one million dollars. Authorities says it is a common event, especially after a storm.

Darian
01-09-2021, 01:33 PM
dynaflow, are you referring to the Spanish translation of the word or some colloquialism??

dynaflow
01-09-2021, 04:03 PM
The Spanish translation Darian.Perhaps someone can enlighten us as to the origin of the name "Putah Creek"?
Cheers

bonish
01-09-2021, 06:50 PM
The Spanish translation Darian.Perhaps someone can enlighten us as to the origin of the name "Putah Creek"?
Cheers

Native American origin:

http://www.solanoarticles.com/history/index.php/weblog/more/delving_into_winters_story_with_vacaville/#:~:text=Putah%20Creek's%20name%20comes%20from,the %20waters%20of%20Lake%20Berryessa.

Darian
01-09-2021, 10:58 PM
Interesting history. Many places in the valley have historical beginnings. Thanks for sharing.

yubaman
01-10-2021, 09:28 AM
Also further promoted in Creedence Clearwater’s song Green River, which Fogarty wrote about Putah Creek. They would go up there and spend days to get away from the hustle and bustle of El Cerrito!

Ralph
01-10-2021, 06:33 PM
Also further promoted in Creedence Clearwater’s song Green River, which Fogarty wrote about Putah Creek. They would go up there and spend days to get away from the hustle and bustle of El Cerrito!

I believe Fogarty's last trip to Putah was when he was 10 years old. At least that's what he wrote in his biography "Fortunate Son".

yubaman
01-10-2021, 07:17 PM
After that, I think it moved to twisting up a few fatties and pulling out the guitar!

tcorfey
01-10-2021, 07:19 PM
I believe Fogarty's last trip to Putah was when he was 10 years old. At least that's what he wrote in his biography "Fortunate Son".

Yeah and he never got stuck in Lodi either..."Fogerty later said he had never actually visited Lodi before writing this song, and simply picked it for the song because it had "the coolest sounding name.".

Darian
01-10-2021, 08:12 PM
LOL!! Great stories. I once heard a radio interview with Fogarty. The interviewer asked him how he justified writing/singing "...., It Ain't Me, I Ain't No Fortunate One...."?? His answer was that he had become a conservative now that he was a fortunate one.... ;)

PV_Premier
01-13-2021, 10:04 AM
Cool, between the increased riff-raff lately at the Yuba and Feather, the typical BS at the American, and now this, our local options for peace and quiet are really seeming to dwindle.

Mr T
01-14-2021, 02:07 PM
Used to be to get away from the city you went as far as you dared. Now even that seems risky.

Zepher
01-17-2021, 08:59 AM
It was maybe 20 yrs ago, while approaching the water at parking lot #3, I see this guy blazing a trail with his new machete. He must have been as uncomfortable with me as I was with him. He left, but it was no longer a relaxing outing.

Ralph
01-17-2021, 06:42 PM
Yeah and he never got stuck in Lodi either..."Fogerty later said he had never actually visited Lodi before writing this song, and simply picked it for the song because it had "the coolest sounding name.".

In my early teens we used to build kayaks in the back of Abe Schuster's fiberglass place in Berkeley. CCR practiced in a corrugated warehouse next to the yard. When they got famous they moved to fancier digs, I guess. They were LOUD. Probably all have hearing aids now.

yubaman
01-17-2021, 08:17 PM
Ralph,

I think what you are describing might be the original Fantasy Records studio and jam space on 5th Street in Berkeley, right off of Gilman St.? That is where CCR recorded their albums!

Ralph
01-18-2021, 07:07 AM
Ralph,

I think what you are describing might be the original Fantasy Records studio and jam space on 5th Street in Berkeley, right off of Gilman St.? That is where CCR recorded their albums!

Wow! That would make sense. Lots of people would come and go out of the building. I thought it was just some inexpensive warehouse they had access to. It was pretty fun laying glass, building boats, and in the process breathing near fatal levels of acetone . . . and listening to really good live music.

Jcolin
01-18-2021, 11:34 AM
Ralph,

A drummer friend of mine I play music with was one of the engineers at Fantasy, All way before my time, but he definitley has some stories about that place!