PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 10' 4wt and 7wt Rods (Recon, flex, etc.)

WilliamLeung
12-30-2020, 07:49 AM
Looking to purchase a 10' 4wt rod for tightlining and and throwing the occasional dry fly. Primarily looking in the mid-price (~$500) range but may have some wiggle room. Let me know what you have! Thanks.

Also in the market for a 10' 7wt rod for single hand steelheading and am budgeting a little less money for this.

PV_Premier
12-31-2020, 07:53 PM
My 2c...I would spend more on the 7 and less on the 4. You can get a Fenwick Aetos 4 for $125 that would be just fine for your purposes or an Echo shadow for double that. Then get a decent 7 like a Recon, Radian, Flex, X, etc.

I have an echo shadow ii and love it. I paid $200 barely used iirc

WilliamLeung
12-31-2020, 10:43 PM
Interesting! Thanks for the opinion.

I had heard the exact opposite thing from one of the guys in the shop. His rationale is that you may want to spend more on a rod with sensitivity and lightness that may be appreciated more when doing technical trout fishing. On the other hand steelheading relies more on getting your fly, indicator, whatever out there; finesse may not be as important.

Maybe the best solution is to get nice rods in both sizes :)

PV_Premier
01-01-2021, 01:32 PM

I had heard the exact opposite thing from one of the guys in the shop. His rationale is that you may want to spend more on a rod with sensitivity and lightness that may be appreciated more when doing technical trout fishing. On the other hand steelheading relies more on getting your fly, indicator, whatever out there; finesse may not be as important.

That is a fair perspective, for sure. I think if you have $700+ to spend on two rods you should be able to find very good options for both.

I will admit that my Echo Shadow II is definitely not the lightest rod, but it's also 10'6" and fishes more like a 5wt than a 4wt. I bought it used at a great price so I cannot complain and the extra oomph is useful on the McCloud and Truckee when the big one comes calling. If I had it to do again, I would probably actively search out a #3 instead but would still probably choose a mid-priced option.

My girlfriend has a 10' #4 Aetos and that rod is lighter and more nimble, but not as sensitive nor as trustworthy on 6x tippet as the Echo.

rnort
01-02-2021, 07:29 AM
I have an Echo 2 10'6", 4 wt with an extra tip for $200 OBO.

David

costalsteel
01-03-2021, 06:08 PM
Looking to purchase a 10' 4wt rod for tightlining and and throwing the occasional dry fly. Primarily looking in the mid-price (~$500) range but may have some wiggle room. Let me know what you have! Thanks.

Also in the market for a 10' 7wt rod for single hand steelheading and am budgeting a little less money for this.

Have a number of rod that you are looking for made on J. Kennedy Fisher Blanks .I have been building on these blanks for over for over 3 decades The 10 ft series Some best ever made in History .

Randy Johnson Tahoe Rod Works
Retroglass Fly Rods

Woodman
01-07-2021, 10:15 AM

I had heard the exact opposite thing from one of the guys in the shop. His rationale is that you may want to spend more on a rod with sensitivity and lightness that may be appreciated more when doing technical trout fishing.

If you want sensitivity and lightness for tight line nymphing, I'd go with a 3 weight. It will fish superior to the 4 and will handle some big fish.