PDA

View Full Version : Stillwater indicator set-up with Switch rod

Klaashutter
12-29-2020, 11:19 AM
I just acquired a Hardy Demon 6/7 wt Switch of that I intend to use on Pyramid Lake next month. I have a Rio Outbound Short Type 6 (375 grains) that overhead casts well on this rod.

I would appreciate some advice on what line to use with a 6/7 wt Switch rod when fishing Chironomids or balanced leeches under an indicator (with two handed overhead casting or spey casting)?

Thanks

BS
12-29-2020, 06:44 PM
I just acquired a Hardy Demon 6/7 wt Switch of that I intend to use on Pyramid Lake next month. I have a Rio Outbound Short Type 6 (375 grains) that overhead casts well on this rod.

I would appreciate some advice on what line to use with a 6/7 wt Switch rod when fishing Chironomids or balanced leeches under an indicator (with two handed overhead casting or spey casting)?

Thanks

Klaas,

I think we chatted a little bit about this last year. :confused::confused:

Anyhow, I'm sure lots of water has passed under that bridge as 2020 has been the "Pits". :mad::mad:

I went back and found some info I had posted almost a year ago about the rigs I use.

Here you go:

"My Gear..........

I've got three rods that use at the lake.

For stripping sinking lines, I use a single hand 10' 8wt. rod I built many years ago (All-Star Blank) which was very close to a Dan Craft fast action blank of that era.

My sinking fly line is a Rio Outbound Short WF8I/S6 and I use a stripping basket with it.
Believe it or not, I'm able to cast my sinking line further with a double haul, using this single hand rod, than I can with a two-hander.

For my first floating rig I have a 7wt. Redington Dually (older version) 7113-4 Switch Rod.
My floating line is a Wulff Ambush @ 550 grains.
Yep, my rod may be a bit overlined, but it matches MY casting stroke, can punch into a moderate head wind, and rips two tungsten bead head flies with a large indicator a long way.............. if needed.

My second floating rig is a Cabelas Vector 6wt. 1106-4 Switch Rod.
I use a Scientific Anglers Adapt Switch Line @ 440 grains (now discontinued).
This rig feels nice and light in hand, but lacks the "authority" to cast into a moderate head wind like my 7wt. does..............of course.

I do not overhead cast either of my floating rigs. I use a single spey/roll cast.

So, in essence, my floating lines are a "scandoid" type and they do serve me well at Pyramid.
I don't use any tips, I use a 2-4 foot 40lb amnesia leader butt and ~13 feet of 12lb flurocarbon as my leader.
That 13 foot length is about the maximum length that "I can cast" and still get good turn-over.
And be forewarned that the Wulff Ambush line has a DEFINITE memory/coiling problem in the head portion if you're considering that line".

Another helpful tip...........................go to your nearest tackle store and buy a pack of tiny swivels.........I use the #40lb ones.
Put the tiny swivel inline about 2 feet above the top fly on your leader.
This is HUGE in stopping line/leader twist. :cool::cool:

Others will have their opinions/recommendations of what the "best" rig is.

This is just what works well for me..........ymmv. :cool::cool::cool:

Didn't want to leave you hanging out there with no responses.................................

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-30-2020, 07:10 AM
Thanks Bob.......I am sure this will help.

Klaashutter
12-30-2020, 07:46 AM
Thanks Bob

BS
12-30-2020, 11:20 AM
You're welcome guys !!!!!!

Remember though, "This is just what works well for me..........ymmv". :cool::cool::cool:

Bob

Klaashutter
12-30-2020, 04:01 PM
You have pointed me in the right general direction. I will figure the rest of it out through a bit of trial and error. Thanks