12-14-2020, 10:33 AM
You will never eat farmed salmon again!

Rossflyguy
12-15-2020, 12:13 AM
You will never eat farmed salmon again!

As fishermen we shouldn’t have to

Mark Kranhold
12-18-2020, 09:34 AM
It sure would have been nice if they would have put a fish passage in during the build of the Folsom spillway project. They could have always put one in later down on Nimbus, hey maybe even the salmon cannon! Just think about salmon and steelhead up in all forks of the American. Colder water year round, great spawning habitat and rearing habitat. And yes this should be all off limits to fishing for the winter months.

Steve S
12-18-2020, 03:22 PM
While better than nothing, fish ladders are a false hope.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/blocked_migration_fish_ladders_on_us_dams_are_not_ effective

Mark Kranhold
12-18-2020, 05:29 PM
Wasn’t much talk about salmon and steelhead? I’ve heard this before, but salmon and steelhead run up ladders to hatcheries. What’s the difference of a hatchery ladder and a dam passage?

Here’s a pick on today’s bike ride of salmon at a standstill but willing to go!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-18-2020, 07:29 PM
A passage over a dam is supposed to let the fish get above the dam to spawn naturally.

The problems with that are:

1) Getting back over the dams on the way out to the ocean.

2) Dams stop the natural flow of rock and gravel to create the right mix for spawning.

3) The area where our American river salmon spawned is covered by Folsom Lake now.

JasonB
12-18-2020, 07:42 PM
It sure would have been nice if they would have put a fish passage in during the build of the Folsom spillway project. They could have always put one in later down on Nimbus, hey maybe even the salmon cannon! Just think about salmon and steelhead up in all forks of the American. Colder water year round, great spawning habitat and rearing habitat. And yes this should be all off limits to fishing for the winter months.

For many of the reasons mentioned, along with too many others, I hold almost no hope of ever seeing Salmon and Steelhead up in the Upper American drainages. But I have dreamt about that many many times! There’s a few runs on all three of the major forks that just scream “STEELHEAD” to me. I’ve swung a few classic wets through a few of those runs “just because”, in loving memory of the fish that would be, and should be present. I guess it’s kind of like setting a plate at the table for a missing loved one not able to be there.

Mark Kranhold
12-19-2020, 01:25 AM
Helped film a commercial up in Lotus and talked to the old timer that owned the property. We had a great conversation about fishing and he had some amazing stories about catching salmon on the stretch of river that ran through his property.