PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing and cigars?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-10-2020, 08:50 AM
I really never smoked cigarettes, although it was very popular in my younger days as a Baby Boomer.

Somehow about 40 years ago we started bringing little cheap cigars on our fly fishing trips.

We bought "Swisher Sweets" which were under $1.00 for maybe 5 or 6 in a package.

They had a wooden tip and were very sweet......

What reminded me of this was the other day an older lady was smoking outside and I smelled that sweet smell.

I asked her what she was smoking and she said, "Swisher Sweets".

About 20 years ago there was a big thing around the fly shops with expensive cigars and single malt Scotch.

Fly shops were selling cigars and accessories......

I think I need to look for some of the "Swisher Sweets" for the next outing...............?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/9_EujzTQj4AV1H3wOrr_5POCu09m-7TtNsA3-wp02QhITABkXtzYIlunnNA-VNbQOe3HrSHwXF8rqHKO5S3aIeMWIzr9bvtwcnpJL3Q7HbQBPn QQckmj

Randy Lee
12-10-2020, 09:13 AM
Hey Bill,
I enjoy puffing on a cigar from time to time while swinging for steelies on the Feather. Haven't got on the river this year and really miss it. Albeit, if I do hook anything decent they become more of a burden than a pleasure. I guess I'm not a very good multi-tasker. I did partake in the scotch a few times at Andy And Daves Flyshop with few distractions. Good times.
Thanks for the memory jar.
Randy

Mr T
12-10-2020, 10:05 AM
I do like to have a cigar while fishing- a good rocky patel hits the spot for me. After, a nice bourbon is a great time as well.

avidangler
12-10-2020, 02:52 PM
The cigar thing started right around the time "A River Runs Through It" came out. I like a good cigar, but you will never catch me dead wearing an ascot and smoking a sherlock holmes pipe! I fly fish with lowly single handed rods, and listen to heavy metal. Dispelling those snobby fly fisher stereotypes one heavy guitar riff and scream at a time!

Mr T
12-10-2020, 02:53 PM
The cigar thing started right around the time a river runs through it came out. I like a good cigar,but you will never catch me dead wearing an ascot and smoking a sherlock holmes pipe! I fly fish with lowly single handed rods,and listen to heavy metal. Dispelling those snobby fly fisher sterotypes one heavy guitar riff and scream at a time!

I’m a fan of Pink Floyd myself!

Larry S
12-10-2020, 05:49 PM
Bill and others,
There are fishing and sitting cigars. While fishing, choose a mild/mellow smoke.
Sitting can withstand a stronger, more emphatic choice.
And as Mr T suggests, listening as PF's "Money" intimates,
expect to pay a bit more for an intimate, well constructed cigar.

Best to all
Larry S
Sun Diego

avidangler
12-10-2020, 06:24 PM
I’m a fan of Pink Floyd myself!Me too!! I am gonna listen to Meddle later now that you mentioned it!

Zepher
12-10-2020, 07:07 PM
I love a ceegar too. Although I've found them quite destructive to tippet material if I'm not attentive. It becomes great knot tying practice for me. I must also admit to dropping a few ceegars into the drink.

Tony Buzolich
12-10-2020, 07:57 PM
If you haven't already found out, our illustrious governor past a law last September making Swisher Sweets illegal in California. Now put that in your pipe and smoke it :)
Tony

willies99
12-10-2020, 08:01 PM
Bill, no more Swisher Sweats. Yuck.

Al Capone Sweets - Unfiltered - Cognac Dipped. The best on or near the water mini cigar. Free case.

Dan

Terry Thomas
12-11-2020, 08:30 AM
Our old friend, John Sullivan, used to like to smoke a cigar while fishing. One morning he made the longest cast of his life, unfortunately, his cigar had burned through his shooting line! Shooting head long gone.

avidangler
12-11-2020, 10:41 AM
I love a good cuban cigar from time to time,but those things make me dizzy as hell and I'd probably drown while wading!

JayDubP
12-11-2020, 06:35 PM
Geez Bill- you hit on strong memories.

Swisher Sweets cigars, Rum Crooks cigars and Cherry Blend pipe tobacco----last semester of my Senior year in HS.... still love the smell but remember the burnt tongue more. Easy decision to quit when my GF said she would not kiss me after I had been smoking.

Couple of weeks ago I went into a cigar store just to smell the cigars and the pipe tobacco. Don't smoke them anymore, but still love the smell.

I still have a small straight stem pipe in my fly fishing gear along with what's left of a 30 year old package of Captain Black pipe tobacco. Have to admit I have re-hydrated the tobacco several times in the past 30 years and smoked a pipe full while on the Klamath. Cheap, flavored pipe tobacco does not seem to deteriorate much.

Jim

Jay Murakoshi
12-11-2020, 10:04 PM
Back when I started fly fishing, I had a big collection of briar wood and peterson pipes. I would buy a special blend of tabacco from my friends shop in Carmel. One thing I wouldn't forget to buy was skinny style cigar, you know the type that Clint Eastwood would smoke in all his western movies. Three puffs and I'd turn green. Too much inhaling

tcorfey
12-12-2020, 12:26 AM
I love the smell of cigars and fresh cut grass, It reminds me of the old county fairs.

hwchubb
12-12-2020, 06:50 PM
All I can think of was an article in The Onion a few years ago about a new competitor to Cigar Aficionado Magazine. The editor of the new magazine “Pretentious A**hole” said he felt that it was a large enough demographic to support two publications...

But seriously - Tony, weed is now fine and dandy but Swisher Sweets are criminal? Really?

tcorfey
12-12-2020, 09:13 PM
hwchubb,

If you did not realize it nicotine is now the bad guy on the scene, THC and harder drugs is not a threat anymore.

Flavored tobacco like Swisher Sweets are considered a gateway drug to the nicotine habit, hence it is banned. Meanwhile, Oregon voters recently approved legalizing cocaine, heroin, psychedelic mushrooms and methamphetamines for personal use. While else where in the country more states legalized Marijuana and other states raised taxes on tobacco products.

We live in interesting times.

mems
12-13-2020, 02:24 PM
I like a good cigar after trout fishing, with a shot or a cold one. On the flats it is fine after a nice day to relax. Never on a boat, too many fumes and it will make others seasick. Cubans are the best. Since Covid I haven't had a cigar. If I get vaccinated I might have to bust one out of the Humidor.

mogaru
12-13-2020, 03:44 PM
Cigars are fun after a day of fishing or during a break, not while fishing. A cigar is something to enjoy while sitting down relaxing, puffing away a nice maduro and complemented with a good drink, being cognac, scotch, or a nice llimoncelo. Ah the pleasures of life !!!!!!!

Jay Murakoshi
12-13-2020, 04:53 PM
How about a King Edward. Do you old guys remember those. I still have some King Edwards and Roi Tan cigar boxes.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-13-2020, 05:21 PM
I think my dad smoked King Edwards pipe tobacco?

Zepher
12-13-2020, 06:28 PM
I liked the Borkum Riff pipe tobacco, but when cash was scarce, a 5 pack of White Owl

Mark Kranhold
12-13-2020, 08:19 PM
If you haven't already found out, our illustrious governor past a law last September making Swisher Sweets illegal in California. Now put that in your pipe and smoke it :)
Tony

A friend of mine I use to work with smoked swishers until he found a chicken feather in one as it left a foul odor in his mouth and surrounding air. I really enjoyed my dads pipe tobacco smell on a cold winter night by the fireplace, Captain Black was his choice! Brings back a lot of memories when I smell a tobacco pipe nowadays.

mems
12-13-2020, 09:15 PM
We used to crank call the local drugstore and ask if they had Prince Edward in a can. When they responded yes we would bust laughing, "let em out!"

Jay Murakoshi
12-14-2020, 05:04 AM
Captain Black was a good blend. I quit smoking when I was around 26.

Randy Lee
12-14-2020, 08:52 AM
My dad smoked a pipe. It was mixture # 79. Dad had his pipe where ever he went. Actually burned a hole in his pocket a few times. Well there we were, Grand Dad, Dad, and myself ready to fish a low elevation foot hill pond for pan fish. Nothing better than a good fish fry back in the day. Sadly the pond had a weed line that went out a good 25 feet. Doggonit Dad was determined to bring home the bacon! Not a soul on the pond other than us, so Dad strips down totally naked and wades out to the edge of the weeds. Before long he's catching em hand over fist, throwing the nicer ones back on the where we would round them and clean them. There he was, in his element, fly fishing with great success and smoking his pipe. In the middle of gutting a Bluegill my Grand Dad turns to me and states " My gosh, your Dad is wearing nothing but his pipe!" My 5 year old self thought that was hilarious. I giggled about it all day long. I can still recognize the fragrance of that blend if someone is smoking it in the area and the fishing memories come back like they were yesterday,

Mr T
12-14-2020, 08:55 AM
My dad smoked a pipe. It was mixture # 79. Dad had his pipe where ever he went. Actually burned a hole in his pocket a few times. Well there we were, Grand Dad, Dad, and myself ready to fish a low elevation foot hill pond for pan fish. Nothing better than a good fish fry back in the day. Sadly the pond had a weed line that went out a good 25 feet. Doggonit Dad was determined to bring home the bacon! Not a soul on the pond other than us, so Dad strips down totally naked and wades out to the edge of the weeds. Before long he's catching em hand over fist, throwing the nicer ones back on the where we would round them and clean them. There he was, in his element, fly fishing with great success

That is

Awesome

JayDubP
12-14-2020, 09:58 AM
I think my dad smoked King Edwards pipe tobacco?

The original King Edward tobacco and cigars were made by Swisher International- the same company that made Swisher Sweets...

My dad smoked Prince Albert from time to time, even rolled his own. Prince Albert was an actual prince who took the name of King Edward when he became king.

Jim

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-15-2020, 07:10 AM
It is amazing how the smell of something can trigger your memory......

This has become a wonderful threat.......thanks to all.

stefanoflo
12-19-2020, 12:57 AM
I always have a pack of Toscano cigars with me while fishing
its a good 20 minute smoke and a good 4-1/2inch X 34 pleasure to enjoy while waiting on the fish to bite.