PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater inshore flies

jeffcpr
11-28-2020, 09:46 PM
So as I mentioned in another post I am looking to start fly fishing for saltwater bass. What setup would be a good a purpose setup as well as what are some go to flies. Thanks in advance.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-29-2020, 08:53 AM
Hi Jeff,

Where do you plan on fishing?

jeffcpr
11-29-2020, 11:33 AM
Hi Jeff,

Where do you plan on fishing?

For me it will be Newport and Huntington Harbors in Orange County

Larry S
11-29-2020, 04:31 PM
Jeff,

You might want to consider the
https://www.fliflicker.com/ site
Pretty sure you have to join up to
post and read.
Most of the folks are based in the SoCal
area.
I surf fish in the San Diego area and most often
use a Clouser pattern with a San Juan worm trailer.
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

jeffcpr
11-29-2020, 06:46 PM
Larry S thanks I will check them out as well.

David Lee
11-30-2020, 10:31 AM
For me it will be Newport and Huntington Harbors in Orange County

I haven't fished those specific spots , but I've fished Bays and Estuaries in Baja a lot .... so the same flies should work fine .

#2 Chart/White Clouser on a EC-413 Jig hook .

#1 Gold Buccaneer , same hook .

#4 Gotcha , original color , or Pink/Orange .

#2 F.C. Sand Shrimp .

#1/0 September Night Flatwing , if you find the Spotties in less than 8 feet of water .

Always bring a surface fly - Crease fly , Gurgler , etc. .

An 8 wt. will be overkill on Spotted Bay Bass , but it IS the Ocean , and you will hook things that will wreck you on a 6 wt. . I'd go with a fast 6 wt. , and a sturdy 8 . Integrated sink tip lines , Rio DC-15 foot is a good one , or any other w/ a 24-30 foot head . A floater is useful if you find Fish shallow .

Let us know how it goes !!

D.~

OceanSunfish
11-30-2020, 12:19 PM
So as I mentioned in another post I am looking to start fly fishing for saltwater bass. What setup would be a good a purpose setup as well as what are some go to flies. Thanks in advance.

Keep you eyes open for a used TFO TiCrX 6 weight. You may solicit for a used one on the classifieds. Great saltwater flyrod that is durable for the application. You may find one for under $100. Casts the sink tips and shooting heads noted below very well with 240-250 grains the sweet spot. If you hook something big, the blank will be up to the task.

jeffcpr
11-30-2020, 10:20 PM
I haven't fished those specific spots , but I've fished Bays and Estuaries in Baja a lot .... so the same flies should work fine .

#2 Chart/White Clouser on a EC-413 Jig hook .

#1 Gold Buccaneer , same hook .

#4 Gotcha , original color , or Pink/Orange .

#2 F.C. Sand Shrimp .

#1/0 September Night Flatwing , if you find the Spotties in less than 8 feet of water .

Always bring a surface fly - Crease fly , Gurgler , etc. .

An 8 wt. will be overkill on Spotted Bay Bass , but it IS the Ocean , and you will hook things that will wreck you on a 6 wt. . I'd go with a fast 6 wt. , and a sturdy 8 . Integrated sink tip lines , Rio DC-15 foot is a good one , or any other w/ a 24-30 foot head . A floater is useful if you find Fish shallow .

Let us know how it goes !!

D.~

David Lee that is very helpful thanks I did just by an 8 weight I would take my 6 weight but I was thinking the same you never know with these Saltwater fish they can be mean. I will let you know how it goes thanks.

jeffcpr
11-30-2020, 10:21 PM
Keep you eyes open for a used TFO TiCrX 6 weight. You may solicit for a used one on the classifieds. Great saltwater flyrod that is durable for the application. You may find one for under $100. Casts the sink tips and shooting heads noted below very well with 240-250 grains the sweet spot. If you hook something big, the blank will be up to the task.

Thanks OceanSunfish I will keep my eyes open for these types of rods.

OceanSunfish
12-01-2020, 09:14 AM
Thanks OceanSunfish I will keep my eyes open for these types of rods.

Another plus is that the TFO TiCrx 6 weight is extremely durable. So, if you bring it along as a 2nd rod, it can withstand the "dinging" associated with boat or tube or beach fishing. I've seen them offered for sale at $75, used. Bargain. Most importantly, the rod matches up very well with the available RIO OBS lines and straight up 30' of T8.

David Lee
12-01-2020, 02:14 PM
Jeff -

Oceansunfish is right about the TFO TiCr-X 6 wt. . It's my main 6 wt. , and is a fantastic fighting and casting tool .

Have a look at the video (please excuse the swearing ....) , this is a Sage SP+ 6 wt. and a 12 Lb. tippet , #2 Chart/White Clouser . You just NEVER know what will be within range , unseen .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikzw6fzv6tM

D.~

dynaflow
12-01-2020, 08:20 PM
Nice work! Tell me you successfully released that fish?

jeffcpr
12-01-2020, 08:29 PM
Thanks everyone all great info I am taking it all in. I will be sure to watch the video.

David Lee
12-01-2020, 08:40 PM
I successfully ate that one . Weight was 23 kilos 5 hours after capture , fed us and half the local population .

D.~

OceanSunfish
12-02-2020, 10:22 AM
I successfully ate that one . Weight was 23 kilos 5 hours after capture , fed us and half the local population .

D.~

Nice. Was it a White Sea Bass?

David Lee
12-02-2020, 12:41 PM
Nice. Was it a White Sea Bass?

Yes , my first one . More Fish that I would have preferred for a 6 wt. .... but still do-able .

Of course , it never ran farther than about 50 yards , and allowed me to beat the crap out of it with a short line . If it had run 300+ yards out towards the Pacific .... things might have turned out differently . Always try to use enough gun -

D.~

Ed Wahl
12-02-2020, 07:44 PM
Wow! Nice fish. And some superb rod handling to do it. This is a big fish landing tutorial.

OceanSunfish
12-04-2020, 09:36 PM
Yes , my first one . More Fish that I would have preferred for a 6 wt. .... but still do-able .

Of course , it never ran farther than about 50 yards , and allowed me to beat the crap out of it with a short line . If it had run 300+ yards out towards the Pacific .... things might have turned out differently . Always try to use enough gun -

D.~

Whenever I see a White Seabass it makes me think it's a giant CA Kingfish. They do have a bulldog fighting mentality too! Bravo! And, I hear they are tasty too. Does the fish cook similar to Halibut?

David Lee
12-05-2020, 10:11 PM
Ocean -

Cooks about the same speed , but more moist . Pretty tasty !

Ed -

Thanks for the complement ! The fun thing about salt Fishes ? They are terrors ! Steelhead are great fighters , but most salt Fish are worse , and I guess they HAVE to be . What with something even larger , and more terrible trying to eat you ....

D.~