PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably priced lightweight battery

avidangler
11-13-2020, 06:36 PM
Hey all. I'm tired of lugging around heavy deep cycle batteries for my pontoon. I recently bought a Minn Kota Endura Max 45 lb thrust motor for my pontoon,a Discovery 9. I'd like a battery thats a little lighter that wont break the bank,that will power my motor and give me decent hours of trolling in a morning. Any suggestions? Been eyeballing the agm batteries. I have yet to see a lithium ion that won't cost more than my pontoon and motor! Thanks in advance- Robert

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-13-2020, 10:42 PM
Look at Batteries Plus Bulbs website........

I just bought an AGM battery for my RV that has a 30 month warranty.

Go to YouTube and type in "best deal on AGM batteries"?

JAWallace
11-13-2020, 11:00 PM
You should be looking at close to 100 amp hours. That will hold you for a long day, maybe two half days. I'd budget $150 or so, and yes get AGM. The AGMs weigh about the same as your lead acid battery so if that worked on your toon the AGM should too. I would go to Batteries Plus, Bass Pro on a sale, or Amazon for a no name which has been fine for me in the past.

Lew Riffle
11-15-2020, 10:02 AM
Mighty Max AGM AH SLA 35amphr. It will give about 5hrs if you don't use the higher speeds. About 65 bucks. very handy.

Bkane
11-15-2020, 11:49 AM
In the long run lifepo batteries are cheaper, run longer and half the weight. Do the math. Battle Born batteries in Reno has 10 year warranty. You can get as many as 5000 cycles.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-15-2020, 08:10 PM
In the long run lifepo batteries are cheaper, run longer and half the weight. Do the math. Battle Born batteries in Reno has 10 year warranty. You can get as many as 5000 cycles.

I watch a lot of videos and studied all this too because I use so many batteries, particularly in a motorhome.

In the long run Lithiums seem to be the best deal for several reasons.

You can only draw a lead/acid battery down 50% before they start to self destruct.

Lithiums can be drawn down almost 100% giving you more AHs.

But at $1,000 a whack it is psychologically difficult........

avidangler
11-15-2020, 08:44 PM
I took the plunge and got a 54AH Dakota,with a free charger,free shipping. I hope I get it sooner rather than later so I can give a review on it. Should be perfect for my pontoon and trolling motor. It ran a bit over 500 bucks,but with an 11 year warranty and how often I fish it should pay for itself.Weighs 17 pounds!! Thanks for the suggestions. -Robert

JAWallace
11-15-2020, 09:30 PM
It's my understanding that a lithium battery can produce 20% - 50% more amp hours than a lead acid battery. If that is true, the economics might be more attractive.

Couple of days ago I was on the Delta from 10am to 4pm, and using the 55# bow mount trolling motor almost the entire time, along with the sonar. I was running full speed towards the end of the tide as it was ripping and much less speed and I would drop back. This isn't unusual on the D. The charger tell me it's at 60% now. That's down there.

I wonder if it's true that I could get say a 75ah lithium battery and maintain equivalency with my 100ah AGM battery? I would never have less than 100ah lead acid for my use. Float tube/pontoon might be a little less.

avidangler
11-15-2020, 11:32 PM
The way I understand it is even as the lithium battery gets discharged it maintains steady flow of power so you don't get that drop in power . When a Lead or AMG gets drawn down it doesn't maintain enough juice to power the motor. That was a major selling point for me,and hence longer days on the water. But the smaller footprint and lighter weight was my number 1 reason for the switch.

avidangler
11-15-2020, 11:34 PM
I chose the 54 AH because it's a pontoon and I read reviews and specs and it will power my motor no sweat. Time will tell about how many hours in a day. I rarely go over 1/2 capacity on the motor. The 100AH was damn near twice as much as the 54 and no way will I shell out that kind of dough.

Bkane
11-17-2020, 09:33 AM
The one caution you should be aware of is not to charge the battery in really cold weather. You can safely discharge lithium down to 20 percent, agm and lead acid only 50. Been running lithium iron phosphate for 3 years and my back is much better off for it. I use this battery 2 to 3 days a week all year.

avidangler
11-17-2020, 10:48 AM
LOL I live in Monterey. We never have really cold weather here!!

avidangler
11-17-2020, 10:49 AM
The one caution you should be aware of is not to charge the battery in really cold weather. You can safely discharge lithium down to 20 percent, agm and lead acid only 50. Been running lithium iron phosphate for 3 years and my back is much better off for it. I use this battery 2 to 3 days a week all year.
That's great to hear!

avidangler
11-19-2020, 08:44 AM
My battery got here in 5 days! This thing is so light. I'll post some DIY pics when I get it all set up. Pretty cool!

avidangler
12-13-2020, 05:52 PM
So an update. I'm a 250 pound guy. My boat is a 9 foot Outcast pontoon. 45 lb thrust edura max Minn Kota. I ran my 54 AH Dakota lithium Ion today for 4 hours straight, 2 of them were at 50% power,and the rest was at full bore. When I checked the battery meter on the Minn Kota it read full bars. So my buddy and I put his volt meter on the battery to check,and it read 12.9 volts. I was blown away. The performance on my pontoon is ten fold with the reduced weight,and it blew pretty good today. I'm impressed to say the least.

Robert

tcorfey
12-13-2020, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the update sounds like you got a good solution. Excellent!

avidangler
12-13-2020, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the update sounds like you got a good solution. Excellent!Yes so far I am happy but my wallet isnt!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-17-2020, 08:47 AM
Dakota batteries:

https://dakotalithium.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Dakota-Lithium-Batteries-Print-Catalog-2021.pdf

Battle Born batteries:

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product-category/lifepo4-batteries/

I think these are both good companies......

avidangler
12-17-2020, 07:45 PM
So far I'm really impressed with my Dakota 54 AH.

Bkane
12-18-2020, 12:43 AM
In the long run it will be waaay cheaper than agm or lead acid and save your back.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-18-2020, 07:05 AM
So far I'm really impressed with my Dakota 54 AH.

I will be buying one or more of those 54AH Lithium batteries soon at 17#..........

At 75 I am having a hard time packing the lead acid group 24, 12 volt batteries around @ 45#.

Lead acid Group 24, 12v batteries are around $100, 45# and 75AH but can only be drawn down 50% = 37AH

Dakota Lithium 54AH 12v batteries are around $500, 17# and 54AH and can be drawn down 80% = 43AH

Many lead acid deep cycle group 24 12v batteries only have a one year warranty.

Dakota Lithium batteries have an 11 year warranty......advertised to last 4 time longer than lead acid.

The hard part is spending $500 or $900 for a battery..........?

avidangler
12-18-2020, 04:33 PM
I never seem to have a hard time spending money lol

NVswitch
12-18-2020, 10:41 PM
I am really looking at a lithium battery for my Tracker Grizzly front trolling motor. I want a 100aH battery to replace the AGM I use that is extremely heavy. Trying to justify the cost of one of those bad boys. I read an article on Bassmaster recommending the manufactures that Bill has listed and they also listed Lithiumbatterystore.com as another source. Has anyone out there have any feedback on Lithiumbatterystore’s batteries?
Looking for feedback too.
Thanks
Mike

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-02-2021, 07:29 AM
At 76 I have no choice but to buy a new Dakota 17# 54AH Lithium 12v battery because I just can not carry those lead acid batteries anymore.

$500 and 11 year warranty is a good thing for me.

After I get one I will report......

*I have 3 cars, 3 boats and a Motorhome = 13 batteries?

I will buy one at first to put in my 14' Jon boat in use in the fresh water canal behind my home in Florida.

Carrying a 17# Lithium battery out to the boat, once and while, is nothing compared to a 50# lead acid group 24 deep cycle.

I will still use Group 24 AGMs for my outboard skiffs because I leave them in there all the time. ~$200

Mr T
04-02-2021, 09:12 AM
old saying goes like this- (paraphrasing)

you want

strong
light
cheap?

sure- pick two.

avidangler
04-02-2021, 12:04 PM
As a follow up I have used my battery and trolling motor (Dakota 54AH) a handful of times. I love it's light weight. Paired with my Outcast Discovery 9 and 45 lb minn kota,it pushes my 250 pound frame easily,and at half power I can move around for a full day without worry. The feature I love most about it is I can recharge that batter in 3 and a half hours. You get no drop in voltage during operation. It looks cool in the nanuk case I put it in. I don't regret my purchase.

avidangler
04-02-2021, 12:07 PM
https://i.imgur.com/E1t5xYi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wlunmlb.jpg

Mr T
04-02-2021, 12:29 PM
Looks like a very tidy setup- now that a motor has been added did you have to register it w the dmv as a powered vessel?

avidangler
04-09-2021, 08:39 AM
Looks like a very tidy setup- now that a motor has been added did you have to register it w the dmv as a powered vessel?

I have not. I might? After this post they may come after me!!

John Sv
04-09-2021, 01:26 PM
Slight thread drift:
Can I run on my tiller-steered 14' aluminum skiff the following off of one battery:
Electric start on motor
fish finder trolling motor for say 2 hours?

StevenB
04-09-2021, 01:47 PM
JohnSv:
You did not say what HP your motor is which can make a difference in amps needed to start.
Ya, one good battery would do the job but you "should not" use your starting battery for the trolling motor unless you have a manual start option on your motor, Shit happens, as they say, and you do not want to end up in a position where you can not start the motor because you used up the battery with the trolling motor in some unforeseen circumstance.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-09-2021, 08:36 PM
I guess it would be good if your alternator on your outboard motor charged both your starting battery and your trolling batteries?

John Sv
04-10-2021, 06:36 AM
Thanks
My outboard does have a pull start. Will look into the alternator. I assume it did but on reading a bit, it was right around the time they started to have alternators

Traceyblade
05-30-2021, 06:13 AM
Amg batteries are the best for a pontoon, from my point of view. They are definitely worth the price. The biggest perk is they hold their charge. You can charge it in the fall, come spring it's still 100% charged. I know mine has lasted quite a bit longer than my old lead batteries. AGM batteries are more expensive than flooded lead-acid batteries, and they do not last quite as long. But for that extra price, you get the luxury of not having to maintain the batteries or deal with as much gas that is released during the charging phase. At https://batterytools.net/ (https://batterytools.net/) you can find more information about battery types, their charging time, and much more valuable information on this matter.

ARichcrook
05-30-2021, 07:44 AM
Avidangler

I’m probably going to get the Dakota 100ah battery soon. Did they send the 10 amp charger with yours?
Second question, is your trolling motor the endurance max with the built in PWM? They claim it helps conserve battery up to 5x. (Doubtful).

Rich

avidangler
06-02-2021, 09:00 PM
Avidangler

I’m probably going to get the Dakota 100ah battery soon. Did they send the 10 amp charger with yours?
Second question, is your trolling motor the endurance max with the built in PWM? They claim it helps conserve battery up to 5x. (Doubtful).

Rich Yes the charger came with it and works great. My motor is the 45 endura max. I believe it does help conserve energy but I have no real way to quantify that.

markz
06-13-2021, 02:53 PM
Hi,
I had a Dakota 50aH battery back-ordered since April but canceled that order and bought a 100aH Rebel lithium battery. The cost was $539 plus shipping. I bought a lithium battery charger on Amazon for $110. The Rebel battery can be connected to your phone so you can see how much charge is left on the battery. I don’t think Dakota battery has that feature.

The rebel came with 60% charge and 58aH and tried it today on the lake. I ran the battery down to 25% and 23ah left on my 30lb minkota electric motor . I’m charging the battery now. I was pleased with the battery although it was the first trip on the battery.

ARichcrook
12-01-2021, 03:10 PM
Ok so this thread hasn’t been alive for a few months now. Some questions for you lithium battery owners. I purchased one to run my fish finder and Minnkota 30 trolling motor. Battery works great and is half the weight of my former one. But, I have burned out the controller in my motor twice now. First time two weeks ago it went kaput at the far end of the reservoir and I had to row back. Yesterday I lost only reverse speeds so at least I could motor back.
Questions I have are; 1. Has anyone else had this problem.
2. Is there a way to use this battery without causing this problem.

Motor is Endura C2 30lb thrust
Battery is SOK lithium iron phosphate 12.8 v 100ah

Thanks for any help.

Rich

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-01-2021, 06:22 PM
Interesting report.......

markz
12-06-2021, 07:51 AM
Hi,
I’ve used my rebel 100ah battery on my 30lb thrust minn Kota about 6-7 times without an issue.

MarkZ

coltss
12-06-2021, 07:16 PM
Hi,
I had a Dakota 50aH battery back-ordered since April but canceled that order and bought a 100aH Rebel lithium battery. The cost was $539 plus shipping. I bought a lithium battery charger on Amazon for $110. The Rebel battery can be connected to your phone so you can see how much charge is left on the battery. I don’t think Dakota battery has that feature.

The rebel came with 60% charge and 58aH and tried it today on the lake. I ran the battery down to 25% and 23ah left on my 30lb minkota electric motor . I’m charging the battery now. I was pleased with the battery although it was the first trip on the battery.

Just curious on the weight of this 100 ah Rebel Lithium battery, thanks?

markz
12-07-2021, 08:13 AM
Website says 24lbs. It’s a big difference compared to the lead acid battery I used from Costco