PDA

View Full Version : Small Wild Steelhead on the American

MHeuch
11-08-2020, 05:49 PM
Fished Sat, first pass through the run was with a Muddler.

Second pass I tried a new Commando Groove (intermediate) head and a rabbit strip brass eye 3" sculpin. I wasn't sure how it would work on a 12'8" rod, but was easy to cast and turned over the fly.

No fish where I thought one would be, but I decided to swing down the run until I hung up. 2 swings latter the line came full stop, the rod bent over and the fish leaped straight up.

Mark H.

Paul B.
11-08-2020, 06:08 PM
Thank you Mark, Headed out there Wednesday if everything Lines up.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-08-2020, 09:11 PM
Fished Sat, first pass through the run was with a Muddler.

Second pass I tried a new Commando Groove (intermediate) head and a rabbit strip brass eye 3" sculpin. I wasn't sure how it would work on a 12'8" rod, but was easy to cast and turned over the fly.

No fish where I thought one would be, but I decided to swing down the run until I hung up. 2 swings latter the line came full stop, the rod bent over and the fish leaped straight up.

Mark H.

OMG......so beautiful Mark........I think many here are missing this opportunity right in town?

casper916
12-30-2020, 01:03 PM
Beautiful fish. I went out 3 or 4 times last week with no luck.

Hoping this rain will push some more fish into the lower river.

Also the upper section of the river is opening up, this should produce some good fish but also produce many many many other anglers..

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-30-2020, 01:14 PM
Jan/Feb can be top months for the big adult Steelhead.

March/April can be good for small adults and some spring Half-pounders with no flooding.

Below the first dam on many valley rivers is a good spot for spring steelhead and resident Rainbows.

casper916
12-30-2020, 02:29 PM
Jan/Feb can be a top month for the big adult Steelhead.

March/April can be good for small adults and some spring Half-pounders with no flooding.

Below the first dam on many valley rivers is a good spot for spring steelhead and resident Rainbows.

Below the dams will be a hot spot for fun fish no doubt...but navigating the crowds there...not so fun.

How unlikely is it that the lower American can produce the same numbers of quality fish as the "popular" sections up near the hatchery?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-30-2020, 03:16 PM
In the past during low water a bunch of winter steelhead spawned down near the Log Hole.

MHeuch
12-30-2020, 05:33 PM
Because there seems to be so few places for a wild fish to spawn on the Am. (especially where they won't be harassed), I was very surprised to run into one.

Hatchery fish, as I understand, tend to make a quick run for the hatchery. Given there are so few these days, it is really matter of being out there on the right day, and luck (plus a 1000 cast). I suppose these rains are our best chance, for the stars to align.

Mark H.

cmcdhuibh
12-31-2020, 12:42 PM
Kind of cool what they have done to the new ladder at the hatchery.

Troutsource
12-31-2020, 01:59 PM
Last year I fished mid-river every weekend from August-June, and didn't get skunked once. This year I've only fished twice (last weekend, and several weeks ago), and got skunked both times. The first time I at least LDR'd one, but nary a hit last weekend (maybe because a front had passed throught the day before). I started seeing some BWO's coming off around noon but had to leave. Besides that, all I saw were some micro micro midges, maybe size 34 or 36. November/December have often been the slowest months for me. But I thought last year I had cracked the code. I'm hoping it picks up soon. Last year was actually great for me. Around March, I think, there was an unexpected surge of 20" fish. Then when the shad came through I couldn't keep them off of the hook while fishing a Frenchie for the steelies/halfpounders. One great thing about fly-fishing is that it's an ever-evolving mystery that begs to be solved but never is.

MHeuch
12-31-2020, 04:09 PM
>> every weekend from August-June, and didn't get skunked once

Pretty darn amazing!

I wish there was a ladder over the dams for the wild fish, and someway for the smolts to make it back down.

Troutsource
12-31-2020, 04:48 PM
Some were only 3" ...

casper916
01-01-2021, 09:50 AM
Did anyone get out today on the upper AR?

hwchubb
01-02-2021, 10:06 AM
Fished Effie and downstream, saw one 12” smolt / half pounder caught by a guy drifting eggs. Otherwise, saw no evidence of fish, didn’t talk to anyone who did either. I’m sure there are some adult fish in the system, just don’t think there are many.

On a related note, does anyone know where to find Nimbus Hatchery return data? I’m failing in my search on the Google...

DPLee
01-02-2021, 11:08 AM
On a related note, does anyone know where to find Nimbus Hatchery return data? I’m failing in my search on the Google...

Nimbus Fish Hatchery fall Chinook salmon trap numbers can be found on the CDFW’s website under Anadromous Fisheries section, type “CDFW GrandTab” into any search engine and a PDF for “California Central Valley Chinook Population Database Report” should come up. Steelhead trap data is more difficult to find, historical numbers are listed at the end of Nimbus Fish Hatchery annual reports although reports have not been posted to the CDFW document library for recent years. Attached is a graph of steelhead trap numbers through the 2018-2019 season from our new book California Winter Steelhead, Life History and Fly Fishing, hopefully to be released this month.

Dennis
www.dennisplee.com

salmonneed help
01-02-2021, 12:12 PM
I fished below sunrise on the opener. Watched a drift boat come down and hook and lose a nice adult fish in the run. The fish made 1 jump and was off. It was a beautiful chromed out fish probably 28 or 30". The guide yelled "set, set, set, set, set.." (client managed to set), guide then yells "strip, strip, strip, strip".. (client failed to strip at critical strip #3) at least I got to see a fish and affirm my choice of location was dialed. Other drift boats came down said they had some success as well above.

casper916
01-02-2021, 06:34 PM
Fished the upper AR today.

I hooked into one before the sun came out drifting a UV bead under an indicator, it was still so dark out I could barely see the bite on the bobber... Popped off after a couple minute fight. Sucks but it gave me some confidence in using these glow in the dark beads.

Saw an angler across the river land one..also saw a few big Steelies swimming by less than a foot from the bank as well some beat up salmon of course, I think they are still doin their thing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-02-2021, 07:35 PM
During a drought period lots of big winter fish all spawned down below Sacramento State College in River Park.

Many get burned out in January only to have things actually pick up in February.

Troutsource
01-02-2021, 09:35 PM
Caught a nice 13" wild one today drifting a green Psycho Prince mid-river. He jumped high three times. How awesome to have that in our backyard. Saw one zombie salmon. Saw the wake from another big fish taking off, but it wasn't a rocket so could have been a washed out salmon.

I fished from 2-4:30 and was hoping to see more insect activity than I did -- only 1-2 BWO's and PMD's, plus the usual midge activity. I started with a dry-dropper caddis-midge, then Adams-midge, but zero luck, so I switched over to nymphs. I think I liked last year's flows a lot better. Just a little too low for my liking this year. I think 1800-2000 is nice.

Looking forward to seeing/catching some of those adults myself. I didn't even consider swinging for them. But now that I know they're there...

Mark Kranhold
01-02-2021, 11:16 PM
My thoughts it’s going to be a late season for the steelhead , still lots of salmon mullin around out there! Late season all the way around. Also dealing with the hatchery kill that happened 3-4 years ago. Low returns?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-03-2021, 05:56 AM
Now through May? there should be some kind of Steelhead in the lower American river.

The only thing to nix it would be flooding rains.

Some large Eel river adults, small wild spring run adults and Half-pounders are all possibilities.

Why not go down there and take a chance....good for your soul.

There are lots of other low elevation Valley rivers to try too.

casper916
01-04-2021, 07:32 AM

So I went back...Caught this 29” 9.5 lb hatchery buck on spinning gear using a bead and bobber around 7:00am on Sunday. First steelhead ever. Also lost another one(much smaller and looked bright red) while trying to net it. It wasn’t ready to be netted and I was too eager.

Jcolin
01-04-2021, 06:48 PM
Right on man nice buck! Congrats on the first steelhead.

fivefingers
01-04-2021, 09:11 PM
I went to the American this afternoon by William B. Pond. Saw two other guys including myself. A guide floated through and another dude on a canoe. Everyone said it was slow and had no takes - bummer. I'm sure we all thought the rain was a surefire ticket to tight lines.

They're in the river, I'm sure. Probably, like most recent years, in lesser numbers.

timmosazz
01-05-2021, 09:27 AM
I fished Howe, Watt, River bend on Saturday for nothing but beautiful views. Nice fish casper916.

fivefingers
01-06-2021, 04:06 PM
Went again today. Fished from 8am to 2pm. Saw a half pounder swim right by me. What a blow to my confidence.... No bites or takes. Bummer. That's steelheading for ya.

fivefingers
01-13-2021, 06:04 PM
And again today- skunked again! Met two dudes who were swinging and indicator fishing to no success.

Bill (if you see this)- I met a dude named Greg who said he fished with you, Andy and some fly fishing club president once upon a time. He had an old black lab that was a good boy. Greg was nice, too- Fishing conventional with roe, though! But he said he'd had a few hookups so I can't hate on the guy for doing what works.

The fishing sure seems more famine than feast this year...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-13-2021, 08:34 PM
Thanks FiveFingers,

I love that river but it seems to go in cycles.

Hope it gets better in February?