PDA

View Full Version : Davis Lake

Quinnphoto
10-29-2020, 11:51 AM
Fished the lake yesterday. Launched at Camp 5 under the sounds of shotguns ringing all around the cove. The geese hunters ringed the lake out numbering the fishermen. Finally got across the lake near Lightning Tree. Only two ramps are open for boat launching, Honker Cove and Camp Five.

I tried throwing an intermediate line with a Jay Fair wiggle tail in rust. I missed a few strikes but did manage to bring in couple nice 17 inch plus fish. When the wind picked up a little I went midging with a blood midge in water around 12 feet deep around some sloping drop offs. My friend and I brought 10 to hand and lost two to break offs on two large fish and missed another 10 due to slow reactions or inattention :)

Spoke to two guys in kayaks who scoured the lake. They went from Lightning Tree to Cow Creek and they landed 8 between the two of them dragging JayÂ’s wiggle tail on sinking lines.

Lake Davis in the fall is a good bet. Love the scenery and the fishing pressure is very light.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-29-2020, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the good report.......

Some years back we had a friend, Tom Sharples, who went to Davis lake in October and really hammered them on buggers.

By the time we reacted and got there it was mid-November and it had cooled down a lot. Fishing was just spotty.

Smitty Fish
10-29-2020, 01:16 PM
How did the fish look, Healthy? I haven’t been there in a couple of years. Might have to give it a try. The American has been slow for steelhead and the Klamath hopefully will be better next month. Thanks for the report Quinn.

Quinnphoto
10-29-2020, 06:07 PM
I think we might have another two weeks of hood fishing Bill as the temperatures seem to be slowly cooling but not yet cold.

Quinnphoto
10-29-2020, 07:04 PM
The fish were very healthy. They fought crazy hard like wild fish. Some did exhibit one or three copepods on their bodies.

Smitty Fish
10-29-2020, 07:12 PM
They are some scrappy bows. I think as it gets colder we will see less copepods. Thanks again for the information. Fish on!

Kaiyasdad
10-29-2020, 10:09 PM
Sounds like u guys did pretty good. need to figure that lake out. Frenchman should be good right now but still haven't gone. Been getting ready to fish pyramid next week.

Quinnphoto
10-30-2020, 03:43 PM
I was waiting on your Frenchmen report:( Ok now you owe us a Pyramid report instead. Good luck out there. You going to float tube?

Kaiyasdad
10-30-2020, 03:46 PM
Yup. Unless it’s windy. We tube there most of the time even though we have the ladder/chairs. Gonna be getting cold,
but so far wind doesn’t look like it will be a problem. Gonna fish next Sat thru Mon/Tues.

Mark Kranhold
10-31-2020, 12:10 AM
Fished the lake yesterday. Launched at Camp 5 under the sounds of shotguns ringing all around the cove. The geese hunters ringed the lake out numbering the fishermen. Finally got across the lake near Lightning Tree. Only two ramps are open for boat launching, Honker Cove and Camp Five.

I tried throwing an intermediate line with a Jay Fair wiggle tail in rust. I missed a few strikes but did manage to bring in couple nice 17 inch plus fish. When the wind picked up a little I went midging with a blood midge in water around 12 feet deep around some sloping drop offs. My friend and I brought 10 to hand and lost two to break offs on two large fish and missed another 10 due to slow reactions or inattention :)

Spoke to two guys in kayaks who scoured the lake. They went from Lightning Tree to Cow Creek and they landed 8 between the two of them dragging JayÂ’s wiggle tail on sinking lines.

Lake Davis in the fall is a good bet. Love the scenery and the fishing pressure is very light.

Nice report Quinn, thank you! Jeff you thinking about hitting Davis?

Smitty Fish
10-31-2020, 08:05 AM
Yes I am Mark. Been doing any fishing?

Jake B
10-31-2020, 04:32 PM
Ok , you guys inspired me to hit it tomorrow haha! I’ll be taking my new pac 1000 pontoon along. Any tips on a starting place and flies by chance? Otherwise I’m going to wing it. I know long for a day trip but wife’s out of town and need to get out. Thanks, Jake.

Quinnphoto
10-31-2020, 05:20 PM
Hi Jake

You can find fish in Cow Creek, Freeman and Lightning Tree areas which could produce some fish. Most recently I fished Lightning Tree. You can launch from shore as the ramp is high and dry. Remember it’s a full moon today so no guarantees on the catching. Try Jay Fair’s wiggle tails in burnt orange tied to a type 3 or intermediate line. The fish are caught around six feet deep nymphing but with blood midges they are being caught around twelve feet deep under an indicator.

TPO
11-01-2020, 09:24 AM
I fished Davis 4-5 days in October and plan to hit the lake again later this week. I caught fish each time although no great numbers. Best day I hooked maybe 8-9 fish but didn't land a lot of them. I didn't try midges and mostly fished buggers (Rickards seal bugger in dark olive with burnt orange tail and hackle worked best for me, also tried rust and olive) and Sheep Creek type flies (including a sunken ant). Guys in my fly club have had luck fishing Jay Fair Trolling flies in rust. I fished mostly Jenkins, Camp 5, and Fairview areas. Fishing seemed to be best in the afternoon, particularly 3-5 PM, often in shallow water, maybe 2-5' off Jenkins. Guys were catching fish trolling buggers in the creek channel off Fairview where the water is 10-15'. Last time out this past week the water temp was 47 degrees early, warming to 50 by late afternoon. I'm hoping the relatively nice, warm weather will help the action this week. I've been thinking about trying Frenchman for a day too but have heard no reports; I might give it a try if Davis is slow this week. Thank for posting your reports on the lake and good luck out there.

Tom

Jake B
11-01-2020, 09:09 PM
Holy crap!!!Those fish are strong! I like many others don’t like full moons like Quinn said , but today was t so bad. Landed 6 and hooked just as many. Really short quick grabs. And small windows of opportunity it seemed
I was only one at lightening tree until around noon. I started at 10 and didn’t hook up until 11ish. 2 others in pontoons joined me and said they fished Jenkins all morning for nothing. At 2 we started getting grabs then 10 or so minutes later they hit like gangbusters w double hookups and cast strip and get another one on. This went on for maybe half hour. Had so much fun and a beautiful day. Working 6 days for last few months I didn’t care if lake was dry I was going regardless. Thanks for all the info, be back next weekend...
Jake

HSano
11-01-2020, 10:25 PM
Can you tell me if the goose hunters are still out near the lake? Without going into detail, my fishing partner has some medical problems that would be aggravated by shotguns going off unexpectedly unless they were quite a distance away.

Quinnphoto
11-01-2020, 10:31 PM
They seem to leave the lake after 10. They also seem to be on the west side so if you fish Lightning Tree the blasts aren’t quite as thundering.