PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: Bill Kiene's Hardy Princess Fly Reel and Extra Spool

Bob G
10-06-2020, 09:16 AM
SOLD

Bill Kiene’s Old Hardy Princess Fly Reel with Extra Spool, 2 Screw Line Guard, Excellent Fishing Condition and Spool is Tight/NoWobble, with Leather Reel Pouch, and shows Extreme Cosmetic Wear Caused from Good Old Fishing by Billy (please see pictures). The Stainless Steel Spool Counterbalances are fashioned after Hal Janssen’s Creative and Effective Approach. Me selling this Reel and ExtraSpool results from a trade with Bill many years ago, and I let Bill know that I would be selling these items.

Price for Reel with Extra Spool: $195 + shipping.

Thank you for looking. Best Regards, Bob

Mark Kranhold
10-06-2020, 09:31 AM
What a great deal with some serious mojo!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-06-2020, 03:43 PM
Veteran fly fisher Walt Bennett had 2 Hardy Princess frames and a total of 7 spools he used for his 6 weight system.

40 years ago? I thought that was cool so I got a new Hardy Princess reel with one extra spool.

Back then an average trout rod was an 8' or 8'6" 2 piece tubular fiberglass #6 line fly rod.

The first weekend with that reel I took it to the Pit river where I fell on a rock and put that big scratch on the back.

***When you work in a fly shop you are constantly upgrading your tackle to the latest and greatest.

At one time I had almost every Sage (Hardy) 500 series reel.

I never really collected tackle because friends always wanted them more than I did.

20 years ago I got an unused old Hardy 3 7/8" Perfect in a box ($37.50) from an old timer who was not using it.

I gave it to one of the young guys who worked for us because he went crazy when he saw it.

I once had a new in the box Fin Nor 'wedding cake' No 1 size (smallest) gold saltwater fly reel ($2,000 today?)

Years ago I trade it and a TPL 8' pram to Duane Calkins for custom cabinets in my entire two car garage.

In over 50 years in the sporting goods business I could have a million dollar collection of guns and antique tackle?

johnddavis.jr
10-06-2020, 09:53 PM
Would that work for a 4 wt trout Spey? I have been looking for a cool real and this seams like it could be it?

Bill Kiene’s Old Hardy Princess Fly Reel with Extra Spool, 2 Screw Line Guard, Excellent Fishing Condition and Spool is Tight/NoWobble, with Leather Reel Pouch, and shows Extreme Cosmetic Wear Caused from Good Old Fishing by Billy (please see pictures). The Stainless Steel Spool Counterbalances are fashioned after Hal Janssen’s Creative and Effective Approach. Me selling this Reel and ExtraSpool results from a trade with Bill many years ago, and I let Bill know that I would be selling these items.

Price for Reel with Extra Spool: $195 + shipping.

Thank you for looking. Best Regards, Bob

Mark Kranhold
10-07-2020, 12:00 AM
Would that work for a 4 wt trout Spey? I have been looking for a cool real and this seams like it could be it?

What length spey and lines are you throwing? I use one on my 11 '9" #3 and it works great. Typical you go up 2 reel sizes for a spey from a single hand size so I’d say you’re golden.

johnddavis.jr
10-07-2020, 05:26 PM
Bob I would like the reel. I sent you a pm

@mark kranhold tried to respond back but you inbox is full. I want to put it on a Steve godshall 4wt 11 ft switch. Primarily for a scandi line but I also have a skagit. Not sure a skagit will fit well though

Bob G
10-07-2020, 07:52 PM
John - The Princess Reel and Extra Spool are yours. I couldn’t find your pm. I will send you a pm with my information.

Thank you very much. Best, Bob

Bob G
10-07-2020, 08:21 PM
Mark and Bill - Thank you very much for your support with this Thread. Best Regards, Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-08-2020, 07:30 AM
John Jr...send us a photo some day.

Mark Kranhold
10-08-2020, 10:44 AM
Sounds like it’s going to be a great combo John! I have a 12’1 4wt Steve built me years ago (2009) love that stick. No problem Bob, love those lightweight series.