PDA

View Full Version : Klamath Closure Info?

matt johnson
09-08-2020, 05:49 PM
Hello steelheaders.

Wondering if anyone has current intel on what section(s) of the Klamath are open to non-tribal folks? A friend just called the Weitchpec Store and was told that the Yurok tribal lands are definitely still closed to visitors, although it is ok to drive through without stopping. Anybody have info on Karuk lands upstream?? How about camping and fishing the Orleans area?? Thanks!! Matt

mannamedstan
09-08-2020, 06:06 PM
I think they shut down Klamath National Forest for the most part until September 14. Im still trying to figure out what the deal is with the closure.

MThompson
09-08-2020, 06:58 PM
The only closures are on tribal lands. Nothing else is shut down unless there is a fire I am not aware of. River is in shitty condition for now. I'm sure there have been many times over the years that the whole season was a bust due to low water. This very well may be one of them. But what do I know...

PV_Premier
09-09-2020, 08:58 AM
I think they shut down Klamath National Forest for the most part until September 14. Im still trying to figure out what the deal is with the closure.

my understanding is that the forest is not completely shut down to recreational access, only to overnight camping. day use sites will also be closed, but i don't read this as a restriction to river access along highways. here is a story from the Sac Bee that sheds some light on the closures. other forests from El Dorado southward seem to be closed to all recreating activity.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article245550235.html

TahoeJoe
09-09-2020, 09:09 AM
River temperatures are still pretty high but look like they are starting to cool due to shorter days and, perhaps, some smoke coverage. The gauge at Orleans is showing about 68 right now and 70 mid day yesterday. The Klamath station at the mouth was about 72 degrees yesterday. Not the best water temperatures just yet.

There's a good size fire closure South of Orleans and East of Hoopa. Lot's of smoke inland reported from my kid in Arcata, sometimes even on the coast.

Most of the Karuk Tribal Ceremonies are done except that the Ishi Pishi area is closed 9/13-9/22. You are not allowed to launch boats at Green Riffle. I'm not really sure that's ever a good idea unless you're a thrill seeking rafter or kayaker anyway. I think that you can still take out there.

Yurok areas are still closed due to covid. I think that you can launch a boat and fish the estuary at Klamath.

Welcome to steelhead season 2020. :(

Maybe the Rogue is a bit better??

TahoeJoe
09-09-2020, 09:17 AM
PV is correct. Klamath Forest Campgrounds are now closed until Sept 14th.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/klamath/home

JayDubP
09-09-2020, 09:18 AM
TahoeJoe is right-- other rivers are better alternatives at present.

From the Klamath National Forest website:

A Notice To All USDA Forest Service Visitors

September 7, 2020 at 5 p.m. – Due to extreme wildfire conditions in the state of California the Forest Service Regional Forester has issued Regional Order 20-08 closing all campgrounds, day use areas, and other developed recreation sites through September 14, 2020 This closure includes all Klamath National Forest campgrounds, day use areas, and developed recreation sites.

The Regional Forester has also issued a Regional Order 20-06 prohibiting all fires, campfires, use of stoves, and smoking on National Forest Lands thru September 14, 2020, including the Klamath National Forest.

link to their website:" https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/klamath/home

Jim

boomer4
09-09-2020, 11:23 AM
So, is one able to put in at Klamath Glen's Terwer boat ramp and jet up the river and fish to say, Blue Creek, or is that considered tribal lands? Any info would be appreciated.

Darian
09-09-2020, 01:45 PM
google search "maps of tribal lands along Klamath River" and you get several maps of the info you want.... :cool:

John Sv
09-09-2020, 02:29 PM
I just got a bulletin that all national forests in CA are closed. Will be evaulated daily.

PV_Premier
09-09-2020, 02:31 PM
Hwy 96 is also now closed for a major fire near Happy Camp. Rumor has it that 150 buildings in town have burned.

It is a good time to give the Klamath a break I think between the warm water, CV19, and now this.

Andy
09-09-2020, 02:38 PM
So, is one able to put in at Klamath Glen's Terwer boat ramp and jet up the river and fish to say, Blue Creek, or is that considered tribal lands? Any info would be appreciated.

If you get there remember no fishing 500' up or down from mouth of Blue Creek.

Andy

Terry Thomas
09-09-2020, 04:57 PM
From the Red Salmon/Orleans Complex group: the town of Happy Camp is safe, however, many homes and structures out of town have been lost.

Terry Thomas
09-10-2020, 06:41 AM
From the Red Salmon/Orleans Complex group: the town of Happy Camp is safe, however, many homes and structures out of town have been lost.

Slater Fire is heading towards Cave Junction and has jumped hwy 199 near Gasquet.

matt johnson
09-10-2020, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the replies and info everyone.

I am definitely shelving any plans to hit the Klamath until all these fires settle down. Fingers crossed that Norcal will get a decent fall rain cycle like we used to for a change! Matt

JayDubP
09-10-2020, 11:38 AM
As of Sept 9 at 5pm ALL 18 US forests in CA are closed. Stay safe.

link to USDA website & announcement:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r5/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD801394

Jim

hwchubb
09-14-2020, 10:01 PM
NU on the Holy Water, Rogue near Shady Cove and the Klamath - major fires on 3 great September / October steelhead rivers. Can we just call 2020 now and jump to 2021?

Brian Clemens
09-15-2020, 06:01 PM
The klamath is definitely not closed. Just got back from guiding the Lower K for 6 days doing my all inclusive trip through a lodge 15 miles up from the mouth and its fishing extremely well. Water temps were mid to upper 60s at Klamath Glen and a few degs cooler 15miles up. And only got cooler by the day with the smokey cloud cover.

They just bumped the flows on the Trinity cool the K down and that will bring up a ton of fish.

Gonna be a stellar fall season. Both the K and T are swinging well. Even found 2 kings on the swing on the T.

"DONT WAIT TILL FALL"

avidangler
09-15-2020, 10:41 PM
The turnouts are all closed off from the south fork Trinity up to Junction city and Hoopa and Yurok res are closed. Private lodges may be open but what about the rest of us???

Brian Clemens
09-16-2020, 11:47 AM
There has been plenty of wade traffic on both rivers. Only national forest campgrounds or access areas are closed. But any turnout on the rivers are open as well as all BLM access and campgrounds are open.

I literally just came from there since the 6th I saw this with my own eyes. I wouldn't lead anyone in the wrong direction. I had no problem floating the DC area, JC area, Del Loma area as well as wading in to all my favorite holes in those areas,, including up at the dam in the evenings for those epic evening hatches. Same goes for the mid upper Klamath. Dont know about the access points, but per my permit thats BLM those will be open as well as any turn out.

Get up there and go fishing. The smoke is not nearly as bad as most think, saw blue skies my last 2 days guiding the Trinity.

GLC
09-16-2020, 01:41 PM
You may want to read the following USFS Regional Orders dated September 15, 2020 extending to September 21, 2020 if you plan on entering USFS land in the Pacific Southwest Region:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd804575.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd804574.pdf

Bob Smith
09-16-2020, 02:02 PM
Those orders pretty much eliminate all of my shore fishing access points from Highway 263/96 junction to Seiad Valley.

JasonB
09-16-2020, 02:07 PM
You may want to read the following USFS Regional Orders dated September 15, 2020 extending to September 21, 2020 if you plan on entering USFS land in the Pacific Southwest Region:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd804575.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd804574.pdf

As much as this sucks, I’m not even the slightest bit surprised. Way too many people are incredibly stupid and careless about fires, period. This year we’ve seen so much more irresponsible camping and fires, despite only getting out a very small amount compared to “normal” years. Add to that extreme fire hazard conditions, and tapped out resources to combat any new fires that are started... it was just a matter of time.

As others have posted I’m voting 2020 as worst year ever as well. I’ve had a few very special moments from this year, but man it’s been full of a lot of negativity too ��. Let’s hope we get some rains ASAP!

Brian Clemens
09-16-2020, 02:09 PM
I just looked back at my mid Section Klamath permit allowing me to guide from Dillons Creek to Aikens Creek as well as on Trinity from Hawkins Bar to Big Rock are actually in Six Rivers National Forest. My mistake on that. I actually thought it was BLM land.

The trinity from the North Fork up is however BLM land and is not closed.

Fishtopher
09-16-2020, 02:45 PM
Everything is blocked off on the Trinity below Pigeon Point. The BLM campgrounds and access points have not closed (yet) but there is some talk of doing so. Be aware that the road to the Evan's Bar launch is FS land so it is questionable if you can launch a boat there. Evan's Bar Road is a county road until the pavement ends at which point it becomes FS.

Jeff F
09-16-2020, 03:10 PM
Hwy 96 is within the NF. So pulling off the road at a turnout to fish is not permitted?

Brian Clemens
09-16-2020, 03:39 PM
Just talked with BLM and Evans bar is questionable however bagdad up is open and available and there isn't any thing in the works to close anytime soon. Also chatted with someone with usfs and yes starting Sept 15th to the 21st from pigeon point down the river is closed. You can drive through but cant stop and fish. Its a daily thing and can change at anytime. With the current changing weather both getting cooler, 40 degs at 7am on the 15th and daily increase of humidity she can't see the usfs being closed past Oct 1st.

GLC
09-16-2020, 03:40 PM
The way I read and interrupt this order, is if the USFS land and access to the river is within the Forest listed in the Regional Order, then no, pulling off the road to access the river to fish is not permitted.

avidangler
09-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Exactly . For the bank angler this creates a lot of limitations. Not all of us fish from boats.

Brian Clemens
09-17-2020, 08:18 AM
There's actually a great deal of water that is accessible by just walk and wading on the Trinity river. For years thats the only way I fished it. Does it help to have a boat yes, but it is not needed. It may no be as accessibleas say the Yuba Feather or American rivers, but there is a ton of water you can wade fish from the bank. BLM land is open, so from Bagdad up its all yours, find a turnout and go have some fun.

Rossflyguy
09-17-2020, 08:58 AM
Speaking of the trinity, anyone know of a shuttle that would pick up around steel ridge?

avidangler
09-17-2020, 10:45 AM
BLM land is open, so from Bagdad up its all yours, find a turnout and go have some fun.LOL . That should be no problem,with all the fishermen confined to that stretch. I think you're just trying to drum up some guide business,can't say I blame you. And I have been bank fishing the T for decades,I know where the access points are. I'm just frustrated with 2020.

BumpBailey
09-17-2020, 01:56 PM
Speaking of the trinity, anyone know of a shuttle that would pick up around steel ridge?

It's been a while since I have used them but they were great. Try Bob n Carol's Gold Coast Shuttle Service 530 623-1905.

Brian Clemens
09-17-2020, 05:29 PM
What Bump said

Brian Clemens
09-17-2020, 05:30 PM
LOL . That should be no problem,with all the fishermen confined to that stretch. I think you're just trying to drum up some guide business,can't say I blame you. And I have been bank fishing the T for decades,I know where the access points are. I'm just frustrated with 2020.

Don't need to drum up any business, I am fully booked up till mid Dec. Just trying to help out.

avidangler
09-17-2020, 07:29 PM
I hear ya. The Trinity is a zoo under normal circumstances,I fear it will be intolerable until the access returns to normal. I may be pessimistic,I just can see it being a problem,and I like to avoid crowds.

Brian Clemens
09-18-2020, 02:51 PM
Good news this just in and hot off the press

VALLEJO, Calif. – The USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region announces increased access to some National Forests in California beginning at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, September 19, 2020.

The prohibition of the use of any ignition source on all National Forest System lands (campfires, gas stoves, etc.) throughout California remains in place.

Nine National Forests in California remain closed: Angeles NF, Cleveland NF, Los Padres NF, Inyo NF, Klamath NF, San Bernardino NF, Sequoia NF, Sierra NF, and Six Rivers NF. This decision will continue to be reviewed daily with evolving fire and weather conditions.

Nine other National Forests may open to varying degrees. Visitors should contact the following National Forests for more information on their status: Eldorado NF, Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit, Lassen NF, Mendocino NF, Modoc NF, Plumas NF, Shasta-Trinity NF, Stanislaus NF, and the Tahoe NF. These forests will implement their own forest orders that will either limit dispersed use or provide for area closures around fires.

Conditions can change quickly. Therefore, we emphasize that all citizens heed local announcements for changes in conditions and potential evacuations.

"We understand how important access to the National Forests is to our visitors," said Randy Moore, Regional Forester for the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region. "Continued closures are essential based on extreme fire conditions, critical limitations of firefighting resources, and to provide for firefighter and public safety.”

Again, visitors are encouraged to contact their local National Forest for more information. We have developed a web map to help visitors find out which sites are open. Visit our online map at https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/webmaps/RecreationSiteStatus/. For additional questions, please contact your local National Forest.

avidangler
09-18-2020, 07:23 PM
That's great news!

Andy
09-29-2020, 03:14 PM
Great news would be Klamath National and 6 Rivers cause being shut out of Orleans is killing me I want to swing a fly so bad. I heard there may be a further opening on 10/1. Hopefully the Klamath will clean up soon it is looking nasty right now kindof a guacamole color due to Blue Green algae explosion:16104

Confluence with Shasta taken today, it was clear last week. Undamn the Klamath.

avidangler
09-29-2020, 05:09 PM
I second that,Un dam the damned Klamath!!

John Sv
10-10-2020, 08:18 AM
Hi,
So thinking of heading up next weekend and am looking for info pls...
I went on the webz and see conflicting info - are there campgrounds open between Happy Camp and the I5?
Did the area get torched? I’d kinda feel like an ass going for a fish if in the way...
Thanks

Bob Smith
10-11-2020, 10:14 AM
Most USFS facilities should be open - campgrounds included. No fires or smoking right now and you can double check that on the KNF website. The Slater Fire devastated Happy Camp and the area on the West side of the Cade Mountain though Happy Camp is toast.

MThompson
10-11-2020, 07:52 PM
Many of the campgrounds up there close at the end of September anyway. I think Aiken's Creek stays open but there's no agua. Last year I saw a couple trailers set up at Ti Bar access. There's a chemical toilet there as well as Dolan's Bar. If you're willing to rough it a little you should be able to find somewhere to camp. I'm guessing vacancies are pretty scarce at the few hotels up there.
I've actually decided to scratch the Klamath for this year. Too many unknowns and I'm on a different species pretty good anyway. Hopefully next year is better. We need a good wet winter or we're up shit creek again...