PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Matarelli Whip Finisher w/ Thread Cutter & FM Initials

Designed2deceive
08-30-2020, 10:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a genuine Matarelli whip finisher with the “V” on the other end to cut thread and "FM" initials. I know I can do this myself, but I’m looking for one that Frank made himself. He also used to make some out of bamboo I believe, I think all of those had the thread cutter. If you have one you would sell, please PM or email me. Thank you!

Stay Safe,

Michael

Rich Morrison
08-31-2020, 07:36 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a genuine Matarelli whip finisher with the “V” on the other end to cut thread and "FM" initials. I know I can do this myself, but I’m looking for one that Frank made himself. He also used to make some out of bamboo I believe, I think all of those had the thread cutter. If you have one you would sell, please PM or email me. Thank you!

Stay Safe,

Michael

I believe my dad has a couple of those. What do they go for?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-31-2020, 07:47 AM
I asked around to some older commercial fly tiers and we feel that that thread cutter was something that Matarelli never offered but was done by some fly tiers.

Years ago I saw people tying at shows with that feature.

I sold Matarelli tools I bought directly from Frank and later his son in the Bay area so I don't remember them coming with that thread cutter.

Jay Murakoshi
08-31-2020, 09:16 AM
Frank incorporated a cutter only on a few whip finishers. One year at the San Mateo show, he passed some out to the fly tyers in the video theater. I was fortunate to get a couple. I still use one and the other one is somewhere store in a box, container or a drawer. I usually whip finish using my fingers, the way I was taught.

Rich Morrison
08-31-2020, 09:51 AM
Frank incorporated a cutter only on a few whip finishers. One year at the San Mateo show, he passed some out to the fly tyers in the video theater. I was fortunate to get a couple. I still use one and the other one is somewhere store in a box, container or a drawer. I usually whip finish using my fingers, the way I was taught.

That sounds right Jay - one of my dad's buddies gave him one from the San Mateo show. I also know a couple of guys who had Frank send one directly to them.

Dave E.
09-01-2020, 10:11 AM
…and then he made a few of these sets for friends. Still got mine.