PDA

View Full Version : Favorite PNW September Water

mannamedstan
08-26-2020, 09:27 AM
I’m fixing to drive through MT, ID, WA, OR on my way back to California. Thought I would drop a line to gather some intel on new water to visit.

My driftboat is back in California and while I don’t mind hiring a guide every now and then I don’t think I’ll be getting too many guide days. I hope to find easy RV camping and walk and wade runs.

Thanks!

pvsprme
08-26-2020, 03:33 PM
Rogue has lots of walk-in access, Streamtime maps are very helpful. I know a good guide if interested, very reasonable. North U is epic, know the etiquette and water can get warm in July and August, best if they get some rain to cool temperatures down a bit, Could be prime on both streams

Larry S
08-26-2020, 03:56 PM
Agree with Robert on the lower Rogue; Agnes and below.
StreamTime map is your best investment.
Might even time it right for an early salmon.
Hope you post your results.
Stay safe and keep laughing,
Larry S
Sun Diego

WLREDBAND
08-26-2020, 08:53 PM
Klickitat River in WA. Plenty of public access, tons of camping, and prime time for late summer steel. Probably also get a shot at some kings. Warning-crowded on weekends due to Portlandia crowd and easy public access. Great public trail system if you're willing to hike to avoid those crowds.
http://i.imgur.com/QIPzuNP.jpg (https://imgur.com/QIPzuNP)
http://i.imgur.com/D3lA5gt.jpg (https://imgur.com/D3lA5gt)
http://i.imgur.com/OeYbeZ3.jpg (https://imgur.com/OeYbeZ3)
http://i.imgur.com/0JQjgeM.jpg (https://imgur.com/0JQjgeM)
Yes, those kings were caught on the fly (in addition to the steel)!!!!

mannamedstan
08-27-2020, 09:44 AM
Klickitat River in WA. Plenty of public access, tons of camping, and prime time for late summer steel. Probably also get a shot at some kings. Warning-crowded on weekends due to Portlandia crowd and easy public access. Great public trail system if you're willing to hike to avoid those crowds.
http://i.imgur.com/QIPzuNP.jpg (https://imgur.com/QIPzuNP)
http://i.imgur.com/D3lA5gt.jpg (https://imgur.com/D3lA5gt)
http://i.imgur.com/OeYbeZ3.jpg (https://imgur.com/OeYbeZ3)
http://i.imgur.com/0JQjgeM.jpg (https://imgur.com/0JQjgeM)
Yes, those kings were caught on the fly (in addition to the steel)!!!!

YES PLEASE!

Thank you all for the recommendations. Definitely added these stops to our trip!

Has anyone fished Icicle Creek, the Wenatchee, or any water near Leavenworth, WA? Town has really good beer and brats, so we typically stop but normally in July - just before the Kings arrive.

Thanks again

PV_Premier
08-27-2020, 10:17 AM
Clearwater River in Idaho could be an option, also Little Salmon -- both near the tricities area of WA. I'm not sure about W&W access...also could be a bit early for those fish to make it up that far, try to do some online recon.

John Day and Grande Ronde in Oregon might be worth a visit, Deschutes of course...expect company on the latter.

Rogue and Umpqua were good suggestions...don't forget about the Klamath depending on the timing of your trip...

pvsprme
08-27-2020, 10:19 AM
I believe all the tributaries to the Columbia from the Yakima upstream list Steelhead and Salmon as ESA protected, no angling for them allowed. The Klikitat is a fragment of what it was as well as a real shit show, same for the Deschutes which is why I didn’t mention it. Those Columbia River steelhead are really threatened, I would like to see all fishing closed for them, including commercial.

mannamedstan
08-27-2020, 11:02 AM
I appreciate it. I am fortunate to be able to fish midweek, so maybe the Klik and the Deschutes would work out if I can get there on an off time.

I figure I am too early for the OP, but I would really like to check out those river systems. I haven't been out that way in 10 years +

The plan is to either come through the Smith or the Klamath on the way into California. That might be a last minute call. Also had really good fishing here on my local Lake Superior tributary (3 solid grabs in an hour and a half, I lost all three), with more rain (and fish) in the forecast, so we might push the departure back a week or so.

I will do my best to keep this thread updated on the road so if anyone is headed up, they have some intel.

avidangler
08-27-2020, 07:38 PM
I believe all the tributaries to the Columbia from the Yakima upstream list Steelhead and Salmon as ESA protected, no angling for them allowed. The Klikitat is a fragment of what it was as well as a real shit show, same for the Deschutes which is why I didn’t mention it. Those Columbia River steelhead are really threatened, I would like to see all fishing closed for them, including commercial.

So the guy shouldn't even bother? Come on now.

WLREDBAND
08-27-2020, 07:58 PM
Just for clarification, the Klick is well downstream from the Yakima (like halfway to the ocean!), is open for angling (yes, there are myriad restrictions so familiarize yourself with the regs beforehand), and has an "aggressive" salmonid hatchery program. I would post more pics of me hoisting Klick fish, but don't really want to. I will repeat possibly the most relevant advice in my post "Great public trail system if you're willing to hike to avoid those crowds".
PS: I love hiking and do it 5-7 days a week even without carrying a fly rod. Like today, where I actually spent more time hiking to reach a "secret spot" instead of fishing it!

pvsprme
08-29-2020, 06:57 PM

Not at all, just saying there are better options than Columbia tributaries.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-29-2020, 08:15 PM
September:

Lower Klamath, lower Rogue, North Umpqua, lower Deschutes, lower Grande Ronde.

BC: Maures, Bulkley, Dean rivers.

mannamedstan
09-03-2020, 06:37 PM
Thanks Bill.

My trip has been gaining stops as I come back to check this thread. I wish I had thought to pack our passports. We are hoping to leave midweek next week from northern Wisconsin. I think the Hoh opens on September 16. My youngest fishing buddy (son) just turned 6 months, and I work from the road remotely, so the driving goes really slow and steady!

JayDubP
09-04-2020, 01:21 PM
Thanks Bill.

My trip has been gaining stops as I come back to check this thread. I wish I had thought to pack our passports. We are hoping to leave midweek next week from northern Wisconsin. I think the Hoh opens on September 16. My youngest fishing buddy (son) just turned 6 months, and I work from the road remotely, so the driving goes really slow and steady!

If you are taking I-90---

In MT at Big Timber, take the "West Boulder Backcountry Drive"--- Hwy 298 through McLeod and end up back on I90 at Livingston. Fish/stay on West Boulder River or the West Fork of the West Boulder River - no guide needed. (there are 2 West Boulder Rivers in MT). In Livingston there are famous fly fishing shops and guides to take you on any of the several nearby rivers.

Where Idahoans would go: probably the most scenic part of the state.

At Missoula MT, go south a few miles to Lolo, MT and take Hwy 12. (lots of articles online for "Hwy 12 Idaho" and "Kelly Creek")

Hwy 12 is spectacular drive with spectacular fishing. Lochsa River runs alongside on Idaho side of Lolo Pass.

Detour to fish NF Clearwater and Kelly Creek for world class cutties . Kelly Creek is one of the oldest C & R waters in US. No need for a guide.

You can either continue back to Hwy 12 and on the way to Lewiston ID, try the Selway River for trout or Steelhead plus the main Clearwater River-- known for huge Steelhead (all fish over 28" must be released)-- you'd be wise to get a guide. OR from Kelley Creek, you can drive north over Hoodoo Pass to get back on I-90 at Superior MT. From Lewiston, you can choose your route through Oregon.

If you do not want to take Hwy 12 but want to keep on I-90---- west of Missoula & Superior, Saint Regis River runs alongside from St Regis to almost top of Lookout Pass. It is a fun little river with bike path-- part of the plan to have a bike/hiking path from Missoula to Coeur d'Alene.

BTW: non-fishing family outing to consider is "Hiawatha Bike Trail"- easy ride downhill on abandoned railroad line, through several tunnels and be bused back up. At Lookout Pass Ski Area, you can rent bikes & even trailer for children. Access is immediately off I-90.

Jim

mannamedstan
09-05-2020, 06:08 AM
If you are taking I-90---

In MT at Big Timber, take the "West Boulder Backcountry Drive"--- Hwy 298 through McLeod and end up back on I90 at Livingston. Fish/stay on West Boulder River or the West Fork of the West Boulder River - no guide needed. (there are 2 West Boulder Rivers in MT). In Livingston there are famous fly fishing shops and guides to take you on any of the several nearby rivers.

Where Idahoans would go: probably the most scenic part of the state.

At Missoula MT, go south a few miles to Lolo, MT and take Hwy 12. (lots of articles online for "Hwy 12 Idaho" and "Kelly Creek")

Hwy 12 is spectacular drive with spectacular fishing. Lochsa River runs alongside on Idaho side of Lolo Pass.

Detour to fish NF Clearwater and Kelly Creek for world class cutties . Kelly Creek is one of the oldest C & R waters in US. No need for a guide.

You can either continue back to Hwy 12 and on the way to Lewiston ID, try the Selway River for trout or Steelhead plus the main Clearwater River-- known for huge Steelhead (all fish over 28" must be released)-- you'd be wise to get a guide. OR from Kelley Creek, you can drive north over Hoodoo Pass to get back on I-90 at Superior MT. From Lewiston, you can choose your route through Oregon.

If you do not want to take Hwy 12 but want to keep on I-90---- west of Missoula & Superior, Saint Regis River runs alongside from St Regis to almost top of Lookout Pass. It is a fun little river with bike path-- part of the plan to have a bike/hiking path from Missoula to Coeur d'Alene.

BTW: non-fishing family outing to consider is "Hiawatha Bike Trail"- easy ride downhill on abandoned railroad line, through several tunnels and be bused back up. At Lookout Pass Ski Area, you can rent bikes & even trailer for children. Access is immediately off I-90.

Jim

Thank you Jim! Very much appreciated. We were looking for a spot near Livingston yesterday, I think you gave us a good plan there. We hadn’t really planned to spend as much time in Idaho but I think you sold us. Thanks again.

Terry Thomas
09-05-2020, 08:13 AM
The White River blew out yesterday and the Deschutes is gone to the mouth. Could be a while before it fishes. Call before you go.

Smitty Fish
09-05-2020, 09:06 AM
The White River blew out yesterday and the Deschutes is gone to the mouth. Could be a while before it fishes. Call before you go.. Going to the Deschutes 17-21 of this month guided trip. Hopefully it clears up some.��
Thanks for the heads up Terry.

JayDubP
09-05-2020, 11:02 AM
Thank you Jim! Very much appreciated. We were looking for a spot near Livingston yesterday, I think you gave us a good plan there. We hadn’t really planned to spend as much time in Idaho but I think you sold us. Thanks again.

ALSO- in WA. Wenatchee River near Leavenworth should be in prime Steelhead season, but it is closely regulated, so check if it is open and how it is fishing. I have never used a guide there, but have fished off the bank and did just ok (been several years).

Couple hours north of Wenatchee is the Methow Valley-- one of WA's best kept secrets. Methow River can be the best Steelheading on the east side of the Cascades. Smaller than the Wenatchee, easy to wade with lots of public access. But on both Wenatchee and Methow, I'd get a guide for at least one day. Plus, lots for the family to do in the Methow.

From the Methow, you can take Hwy 20 "North Cascades Scenic Highway" and fish the Sauk and Skagit rivers on the way for steelhead and salmon (may be between runs). Best from a boat with a guide.

Then cross onto Whidbey Island over the Deception Pass Bridge. West side of Whidbey Island should be coho season where you can fish off the beaches. Whidbey also has lots for the family to do. Ferry runs from west side of Whidbey to Port Townsend (reservation strongly advised)-- so it is on your way to the Olympic Pennisula.

Look forward to your trip report.

Jim

mannamedstan
09-05-2020, 02:02 PM
ALSO- in WA. Wenatchee River near Leavenworth should be in prime Steelhead season, but it is closely regulated, so check if it is open and how it is fishing. I have never used a guide there, but have fished off the bank and did just ok (been several years).

Couple hours north of Wenatchee is the Methow Valley-- one of WA's best kept secrets. Methow River can be the best Steelheading on the east side of the Cascades. Smaller than the Wenatchee, easy to wade with lots of public access. But on both Wenatchee and Methow, I'd get a guide for at least one day. Plus, lots for the family to do in the Methow.

From the Methow, you can take Hwy 20 "North Cascades Scenic Highway" and fish the Sauk and Skagit rivers on the way for steelhead and salmon (may be between runs). Best from a boat with a guide.

Then cross onto Whidbey Island over the Deception Pass Bridge. West side of Whidbey Island should be coho season where you can fish off the beaches. Whidbey also has lots for the family to do. Ferry runs from west side of Whidbey to Port Townsend (reservation strongly advised)-- so it is on your way to the Olympic Pennisula.

Look forward to your trip report.

Jim

Thank you, thats really good to hear about Leavenworth. We were planning to stay up Icicle creek midweek. I will have to look into camping around the Methow. I will do my best to keep the thread updated once we start driving next week.
Thanks again Jim, really good info for us.

Rossflyguy
09-05-2020, 07:48 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Check the regs and if it’s legal go for it. I’ve fished the Hoh and it’s a beautiful place.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-06-2020, 07:59 AM
In Jim Freeman's little Steelhead guide books for Nor Cal, he says to keep driving until you find people and boats.

It works on rivers like the Klamath and Trinity rivers......

One Fall I started driving down stream from Interstate 5 on the Klamath river....drove down stream until I saw vehicles, boat trailers

and drift boats in the water around the Green Riffle.

mannamedstan
09-07-2020, 05:40 AM
That’s how I have fished at a lot of our stops along the way in years past, or go to the same spot as years prior. We have some go to accesses on the Roaring Fork, Blue, and Yampa in Colorado from getting the car beta on the weekend and then coming back midweek when no one is parked there anymore. Works well.

I think we have put our stops together for the first part of the trip: Bismarck, ND (Walmart), McLeod, MT (dry), Butte, MT (KOA), Hamilton, MT (friend’s ranch), Leavenworth, WA (KOA, fishing is closed downstream of icicle creek). We will assess whether we run over to the OP or down to the Klickitat from Leavenworth. We have a family stop near Eugene, and then the Klamath.

Really looking forward to the drive, we might leave as early as Wednesday, and skip the Lake Superior steelheaders bbq with Ed Ward on the Brule. He might give us some info though, so it might be worth it to stick around. It got cold up here now (42 at the river Friday morning) and early teal season started on the 1st- sporty little shoot. Browns, Coho, Kings and Steelhead all in the system now too. Got tight on a nice king swinging on Friday but came loose on after getting within 20’ of the fish.

Thanks for the info everyone

mannamedstan
09-12-2020, 06:19 AM
We just pulled the plug on the campground reservations we had in WA, OR and at Tree of Heaven. I’m pretty bummed, but I don’t think it’s the right time to be on the road in these areas. Also probably not good for the baby’s lungs to be in the smokey air. Fished the Yellowstone near Livingston the other day, ended up with a double digit day of all mini rainbows (10-12”) on the elk hair. We had to get an oil change yesterday morning and then we hit the Gallatin near Four Corners. A few whitefish and a nice brown (~18”) on a rubber legs.

Thanks again for all the good info on places to go, but I’ll have to save it for another trip.