PDA

View Full Version : Heenan....just a couple of weeks away !!!

BS
08-21-2020, 08:50 PM
Just throwing some excrement into the rotating multi-blade air movement device...........:o:o

I wonder if Heenan will be open (in a couple of weeks) this year, or not, due to Covid ?????:mad::mad:

It looks like I won't get a chance to fish it this year............wife's days off are Wednesday & Thursday AND the grandson starts "remote-schooling" next week.
Unfortunately, this year I won't be able to jump in the car after I walk him to the bus stop and go fish. :mad::mad:

It's been a rather "BRUTAL" spring/summer.

IF Heenan opens this year, and you're lucky enough to fish it, how's about a report or two for us less fortunate dreamers ???? :(:(

Hoping to go SOMEWHERE for a day trip next week to escape the smoke and heat...........................:(:(

Bob

Quinnphoto
08-22-2020, 08:26 AM
It will be interesting to see if it will open. If it does it might be a crowded bowl of Cheerios as people flock to get away from COVID and all the fires. On the other hand it might be worth it:)

Woodman
08-24-2020, 08:06 PM
It will be interesting to see if it will open. If it does it might be a crowded bowl of Cheerios as people flock to get away from COVID and all the fires. On the other hand it might be worth it:)

I stopped by Heenan (just to look) last year when I was coming back over Monitor Pass. Haven't been there in MANY years. It is mind boggling how many people are out there, and the reports I've seen generally don't sound that great. Unfortunately, another California fishery that is a shadow of its former self.

Smitty Fish
08-24-2020, 09:23 PM
I stopped by Heenan (just to look) last year when I was coming back over Monitor Pass. Haven't been there in MANY years. It is mind boggling how many people are out there, and the reports I've seen generally don't sound that great. Unfortunately, another California fishery that is a shadow of its former self.

A lot of these lakes in our area don’t fish like they did 10-15 years ago.
Seems like they been on decline ever since the last drought and economy fallen.
The fish plants are not what they use to be. Martis seems to be hanging on. Barely......

Quinnphoto
08-27-2020, 09:19 AM
So interesting to look over the archives of Heenan on this board. I looked over the last thirteen years of posts and many of the same themes play out every year. I think I have been going for over twenty years myself and many of you many more than that. Every year I seem to think I have figured out the secrets this lake has to offer for catching fish. Every year I get humbled :) I still keep coming back and will again this year. I know I’m going to have tight lines and screaming reels this year!!!

BS
08-27-2020, 09:57 PM
So interesting to look over the archives of Heenan on this board. I looked over the last thirteen years of posts and many of the same themes play out every year. I think I have been going for over twenty years myself and many of you many more than that. Every year I seem to think I have figured out the secrets this lake has to offer for catching fish. Every year I get humbled :) I still keep coming back and will again this year. I know I’m going to have tight lines and screaming reels this year!!!

GET 'EM BILL !!!!!!!

And I don't want to hear anything about "rat sized" fish either. ;);)

Bob

Quinnphoto
08-28-2020, 08:28 AM
Bob these are rats compared to the Pyramid LCT��

BS
08-28-2020, 09:27 AM
Bob these are rats compared to the Pyramid LCT��

Well, for the most part ya, but I have the utmost confidence in you that you'll find some "larger than rats" and show us all how it's done !!! :cool::cool:

Wonder if Carmen will be there fishing his jigs ??? :confused::confused:

Bob

Quinnphoto
08-31-2020, 12:00 PM
Hey Bob I would love to see Carmen up there but he’s a Truckee River guy when not fishing Pyramid.

I did check with the regional field office in Rancho Cordova and was told Heenan will open an hour before sunrise and close an hour after sunset starting this Friday. Good luck to all those who plan on going.

BS
08-31-2020, 12:59 PM
I did check with the regional field office in Rancho Cordova and was told Heenan will open an hour before sunrise and close an hour after sunset starting this Friday. Good luck to all those who plan on going.

This is great news !!!!!

Good luck to you Bill !!!!

Massive numbers of lip piercings are in the cards for you........I can feel it !!! :cool::cool:

Bob

BS
09-01-2020, 08:21 PM
For all that may be planning a trip to Heenan this weekend:

There's a new fire (Slink Fire) just to the south east of Heenan.
Looking at a map, it looks to be within 5 miles of the lake near Coleville and Walker. :(:( Hope you're safe and O.K. Dick (in Coleville)

And the local weather forecast for Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday is for record/near record triple digit temperatures.:eek::eek:

Best to check the latest fire conditions before heading up.
If Heenan doesn't close due to the Slink Fire, bring lot's of personal consumption water and be prepared for HEAVY smoke. :mad::mad:

If it's not the Covid, it's the damned fires. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just passing on some information to all of you.

Good luck guys and gals......................................

Bob

Quinnphoto
09-03-2020, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the info Bob. I’m teetering on the trip now- heavy smoke, fire, full moon, 97 degrees at 7000 feet altitude and a horde of fisherman on a small lake. The optics are not good. The wild card is the opening day only comes around once a year. Having been a wedding photographer for the last 15 years I have always had a wedding this weekend. Soooooo- a challenge to be had. Come say hello if you see a guy in a float tube with a straw hat and three extra poles hanging on the side looking confused :)

BS
09-03-2020, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the info Bob. I’m teetering on the trip now- heavy smoke, fire, full moon, 97 degrees at 7000 feet altitude and a horde of fisherman on a small lake. The optics are not good. The wild card is the opening day only comes around once a year. Having been a wedding photographer for the last 15 years I have always had a wedding this weekend. Soooooo- a challenge to be had. Come say hello if you see a guy in a float tube with a straw hat and three extra poles hanging on the side looking confused :)

Bill, make a call or two before heading up for sure.
I've seen a couple of "Slink Fire" web pages that claim that the south side of Hwy 89 (Monitor Pass) is closed.

Heenen is definitely on the south side of Hwy 89.

Please................... make another phone call or two before heading up.

Not trying to start any rumors or dissuade you..........................just relaying some of what I read this morning.

Have a good time if it's open and you can make it up there. :cool::cool:

Bob

Quinnphoto
09-03-2020, 07:42 PM
Thanks Bob for the update. I did drive by this evening and found the roads to be open. A lot of campers parked near the lake getting ready for an early start tomorrow.

Scott V
09-11-2020, 10:26 AM
According to this site, Heenan is closed.

https://wildlife.ca.gov/Lands/Places-to-Visit/Heenan-Lake-WA

flyfish21
09-11-2020, 07:56 PM
FYI: Per DFG-PIO Hennan is closed indefinitely due to the Slink fire and other fire restrictions. If that is not enough, Davis and Frenchman's are also closed to fishing and camping. Additionally, Desolation Wilderness and all National Parks in CA are closed. Mostly due to the fire danger and some covid. Air quality on the north coast is 200 to 500 aqi. Eel river area is on fire. Siskiyou county (Lake Shastina) 200 to 300 aqi. Lake Tahoe is 187 aqi at this time. No idea when things will change unless we get a wet storm...I hope things change soon. Pyramid Lake news is not good, I agree with Bob...what are they thinking???

Darian
09-11-2020, 10:58 PM
I imagine the proposed fee change is designed to limit the number of fishers (all types) at the lake until some solution to the pandemic is found (vaccine, etc.). Seems that people of color are infected with COV19 strikes more often and the negative impacts are great. The prospect of requiring hospitalization from anywhere on the Rez would be costly and require lengthy transportation, especially in winter (driving on iced roads, etc.). So, maybe the loss of revenue from individual fishing permits is acceptable to the tribe....