PDA

View Full Version : Consequence of Ocean Rise??....

Darian
08-17-2020, 11:08 PM
Was reading some news and found the following info about Christmas Island, taken from Facebook (source - The Guardian):

"Kiribati Will Lift Islands to Avoid Rising Sea

It’s just trying to keep its head above water. While a previous administration of the archipelago nation bought land in Fiji as a potential refuge if climate change makes Kiribati uninhabitable, current President Taneti Maamau’s new plan is to elevate the islands by dredging nearby waters for fill. Maamau, who’s seen as allied with China and was just reelected in June, says he won’t accept large loans or allow China to build a base on its strategically key Christmas Island, though China has funded similar infrastructure projects before to gain military access to other small countries."

The prospect of dredging the flats around Christmas Island is bad enough but having the Chinese government establish a military presence there, as well, is mind boggling....

dynaflow
08-18-2020, 02:07 AM
The Chinese influence in the Pacific is truly cause for concern as they build their expansionist stepping stones, and their strategy is simple in it's execution. Build vital infrastructure like airports, harbors and roads, grant loans that third world countries can't repay, then take control of the asset in lieu.

To Australia's north, New Guinea is a perfect example...but re Kiribati, there are many islands in the Republic and C.I. is the prize as it's the biggest island, and rumors have circulated for some time that the Government wanted to move the capital from Tarawa to there. Logistically this would require a mammoth effort, and then there's the matter of a reliable water supply etc.Tarawa, as everyone knows, is an overcrowded and polluted s#####le. I think that the dredging you refer to applies to islands other than C.I. at this stage.

It's also common knowledge as Darian mentions, the new President is beholden to the Chinese. Here's an example. The Kiribati government asked their long-standing friend, Taiwan, for a new big plane. Taiwan replied they couldn't do it....enter China who said "no problem".....Allegiances quickly shifted. End of story.....well for now anyway. Be afraid...be very afraid.

dynaflow
08-18-2020, 04:03 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_and_Road_Initiative

Darian
08-18-2020, 09:26 AM
WOW!! Scary stuff indeed. Thanks for your insight. I suppose the same problems/threats are applicable to the Cook Islands??

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-19-2020, 07:28 AM
Much of the World believes that Communist China released COVID-19 on the entire World.

184 countries are all now in fear of China and many will be pulling back, if even slowly.

Communist China will now be slowly ratcheting down over the next decade.

China's huge emerging Middle Class wants what America has, a Democracy, so their Communism might collapse.

Carl Blackledge
08-23-2020, 07:15 AM
Bill,

Another good reason to vote for Trump - He won't take any shit from China.

Carl Blackledge

JasonB
08-23-2020, 08:54 AM
Bill,

Another good reason to vote for Thump-He won't take any shit from China.

Carl Blackledge

That’s a very interesting way to look at it. Sure didn’t do diddly squat to deal with the virus when we had a chance, still hasn’t done much for that matter. He talks tough, but no real action.

Rossflyguy
08-23-2020, 10:22 AM
That’s a very interesting way to look at it. Sure didn’t do diddly squat to deal with the virus when we had a chance, still hasn’t done much for that matter. He talks tough, but no real action.

Really? Would you have closed the country down early with less then 50 cases in Feb? Or just over 200 cases in March? No one backed shutting the country down with only 200+ cases in March. And if he did you’d probably blame him for the economy crashing because the virus wasn’t what everyone thought. Let’s all be real, the death rate of this virus is .04%. Far from the 1-3% the liberal media was shouting. I don’t agree with his environmental handling but if most of his polices were done by Obama you’d be praising him. FYI, the president doesn’t control states and how they’re ran. The states run themselves. If you want to blame someone for what’s going on look at your local government. Gavin Newsom is doing a horrible job running this state. Not to mention the rest of the Democrat ran areas.

Rossflyguy
08-23-2020, 10:24 AM
Bill,

Another good reason to vote for Thump-He won't take any shit from China.

Carl Blackledge

Exactly!!! Enough is enough.

Darian
08-23-2020, 11:06 AM
OK, enough political commentary. My original thought in posting was to highlight the potential loss of Bonefish and GT's through dredging of flats to raise elevation and the potential loss of Christmas Island as a fishing destination. I'm a non-affiliated voter and don't give a damn about political comments here.

Rossflyguy
08-23-2020, 11:30 AM
OK, enough political commentary. My original thought in posting was to highlight the potential loss of Bonefish and GT's through dredging of flats to raise elevation and the potential loss of Christmas Island as a fishing destination. I'm a non-affiliated voter and don't give a damn about political comments here.

I’m a non affiliated voter too but politics play a role in your topic. Unfortunately politics plays a big role in fishing these days. Just the reality.

Larry S
08-23-2020, 04:14 PM
Darian,
Good topic and thread.
The LA Times recently ran an article about the rising sea levels and
the ground water. I've included a link. Rising sea levels are also a concern
for folks in the Marshall Islands with regards to a buried nuclear waste
matter. Kinda strange how those that want to dismiss this issue yet forget
that Trump has asked for permission to build sea walls at his
Irish golf courses, claiming rising sea levels.
Best to you and all Kiene members,
Larry S
Sun Diego
https://phys.org/news/2020-08-california-cities-theyre-safe-sea.html

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-24-2020, 07:27 AM
I think God is to blame for the Climate changing, which effects the sea level.

The World's climate has been and will always will be changing/cycling.

With lots of Wars and a One World Order we will never get countries like China and India to go along with the Climate fix.

Why should the Untied States of America go bankrupt trying to alter the World's climate when other countries could care less.

There is little man can do that is economically feasible to alter the Climate, at least that is what they were teaching in the 1960s?

I would rather we went back to fighting pollution, which something that is feasible and practical.

Darian
08-24-2020, 10:34 PM
Larry S,.... Thanks for the link. Interesting read. I wonder if Christmas Island has any buried nuclear waste?? The Island was used as a test site for nuclear tests by the U.S. and later, the British.

During my last trip to the Island, there was a lot of development in the form of construction of some docks and the electrification of the settled areas. No dredging, yet. Roads were surfaced better than in past years, also. Maybe the money came from FDI by China??....

Jcolin
08-25-2020, 07:14 AM
Have Any of you guys fished christmas island for GTs before? Sounds incredible. Is it wading flats from shore like bonefish or from a boat? 12 weight rods? Would love to experience that someday if i win the lottery, or maybe sea run browns in south america. Sad to think i may not have the opportunity to with rising oceans/climate change. Where else are they found other than christmas?

Darian
08-25-2020, 09:26 AM
Jcolin,..... GT's are found throughout the tropical Pacific and Indian Oceans as are other types of Trevally. GT's. are the largest and probably the most aggressive. They can be caught on anything that is cast to them. 12 weight fly rods are recommended but a large reel with capacity for a lot of heavy pound test backing plus fly-line is necessary if you want to land one. GT's can be found on the flats or in deeper water. They always seem to be on the move (hunting). At Christmas Island, I've only seen them when I've been on the flats, Bonefishing and they pass by. One, around 90 pounds in weight, was following an Eagle Ray on the edge of a flat leading to deeper water. By the time I was able to switch to the 12 wt rod/fly and cast, it was gone. Very exciting.

There're many videos on YouTube showing GT's in action. Look up any lodge at Christmas Isle on the internet and they'll usually have a list of equipment they recommend for fishing there.

Tony Buzolich
08-25-2020, 07:14 PM
GT's ! Wow! That sure got my attention. I've become totally addicted to GTs and can't wait to get back in some warm saltwater where they habitate. This has nothing to do with rising ocean levels but sure makes you think about something else in this world a lot more fun than corona virus stuff.

I've taken lots of Gts on the flats at Christmas Is. but realize GTs aren't always GIANTS. They can be juveniles too. The really BIG GTs are few and far between and a quick responce is critical to getting a shot at one.

If you go back in the "Saltwater" column and type search GTs you'll find several of my stories with lots of pictures to get your juices flowing.

If we ever get the okay to travel again you can bet I'll be on the next plane heading to the south Pacific with a couple of 12 weights :)

Tony

Jcolin
08-26-2020, 09:33 AM
Thank you Darian and Tony, would love to be able to do a trip there someday.

Tony Buzolich
08-26-2020, 11:43 AM
Jcolin, (what's your first name?)

If you ever get started in saltwater stuff you've got to look at the Youtube videos about the Seychelles. This is GT heaven if ever there was such a place. It's still at the top of my bucket list. Astove, Cosmolito, Farquar, (check out the video of the GTs catching birds in the air), Providence, and I'm sure there are more but these pop up first in my mind.

Now, if I could just figure out how to pay for such a trip :) ?
Tony

dynaflow
08-26-2020, 03:48 PM
Certainly Kiritimati is a good primer for GT’s as the average Flats fish is between 10 and 25lbs.You’ll see bigger ones but getting a Fly to them is another story.Targetting them on a rising late afternoon tide in the right place pays better dividends.Bring your A game.

JasonB
08-26-2020, 05:23 PM

If you ever get started in saltwater stuff you've got to look at the Youtube videos about the Seychelles. This is GT heaven if ever there was such a place. It's still at the top of my bucket list. Astove, Cosmolito, Farquar, (check out the video of the GTs catching birds in the air), Providence, and I'm sure there are more but these pop up first in my mind.

Tony

You had me up till the last line! Ha! Looks nice, but so much $$$ for one single trip; even if I had the cash that would be tough to justify.

Jcolin
08-27-2020, 05:08 PM

Tony
Thanks Tony, Went out for stripers a few times this past week and finally started having some success with some bigger fish, having only caught small schoolies the few times ive gone out in the past, I am definitely hooked now. Can only imagine what the bigger salt fish are like. Met Patrick McKenzie the Napa River fly guide this morning, he was nice enough to guve me some big clousers way better than what ive been fishing, and some tips about stripers/tides in general.
My name is Joel Kruzic, a few of you on this forum ive met on several different rivers over the years.

Tony Buzolich
08-27-2020, 07:56 PM
Nice to meet you Joel.

The Napa river is a great place to fish and Pat McKenzie is one of the best guides for that water. I lived in Napa for quite a few years and fished the river regularly, even the sloughs going into the Leslie Salt Flats. Finding good moving water is a real key here. If the water is slow or topped out, I used to like the area above the Lincoln St. bridge all the way to Trancas St.
Tony