PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Boston Whaler 15

Mr T
07-25-2020, 12:25 PM
1982 hull, standard model. original gelcoat, interior has the minor crazing you expect from a boat this age. Perfect, no, but solid and seaworthy. Its a classic 80 series whaler. I got it off a board member here about 2 or so years back, put the 60 on since then.

1990 Mercury 60 HP with SS prop - Recently painted and replaced the badging with factory stickers. Runs strong
Minn Kota power drive 80# 24V trolling motor
2 group 24 batteries up front, 1 in back for starting.
Raymarine Dragonfly 7 ff/gps.
15 gallon under seat tank
single axle trailer with new hubs and bearings

Will sell with cover and also the Pro Mariner batter charger setup I use on it.

Located in Northern California.

Love the rig, fishes very well, and flies - tops out just under 40mph

$6,000.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-25-2020, 08:13 PM
I have seen tons of 13 footers and tons of 17 foots but the 15 footers are kind of rare.

Ted "Doc" Cedars has had a 15 footer for maybe 50 years and was on his third motor.

This is a wonderful safe boat for one or two anglers.

Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke motor?

Mr T
07-26-2020, 06:17 AM
I have seen tons of 13 footers and tons of 17 foots but the 15 footers are kind of rare.

Ted "Doc" Cedars has had a 15 footer for maybe 50 years and was on his third motor.

This is a wonderful safe boat for one or two anglers.

Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke motor?

It’s a 2 stroke- runs very strong.

JAWallace
07-26-2020, 12:01 PM
I have a Whaler 150 Sport which is the next generation hull. It is my 26th boat, and my 4th Whaler. Although I loved the 12' Olympian Skiff that Bill Kiene once owned too, it was just too slow for the Delta and Folsom Lake, and this Whaler, had her for about four years now, is PERFECT for fly fishing and easy to handle for one. I will never sell it. I'll repower if necessary.

Mr. T is a good guy to do business with and pays attention to detail. If you're in the market for a fly fishing skiff, give his a look.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-27-2020, 08:38 AM
Hi Old Buddy.....

John, what motor do you have on your newer generation 15' Whaler?

What is it's Max HP rating?

Doc Cedar has a really old 15 Whaler that came with the iconic Evinrude 70hp two stroke but after it wore out he put on a new 60hp

fuel injected 4 stroke. The new 4 strokes are quieter with better fuel economy.

JAWallace
07-27-2020, 08:50 AM
Hi Old Buddy.....

John, what motor do you have on your newer generation 15' Whaler?

What is it's Max HP rating?

Doc Cedar has a really old 15 Whaler that came with the iconic Evinrude 70hp two stroke but after it wore out he put on a new 60hp

fuel injected 4 stroke. The new 4 strokes are quieter with better fuel economy.

Rated for a 60HP 4S and have the original 60 Merc 4S which is damn near as nice and equally dependable as the 20 HP Yami on your old Olympian--even though it's a Merc. I can squeeze 37 mph out of it riding single. I cruise at about 20 mph/3,000 RPM. Couple weeks ago I spent just over 6 hours running around the North Delta for smallies and used 1.5 gallons of gas. It truly sips.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-28-2020, 10:29 AM
Is that 60hp Merc a 4 stroke?

knethy
07-30-2020, 01:43 PM
Is that 60hp Merc a 4 stroke?

Nice job on cosmetic cleanup of my old Whaler. It's a great boat. Brings back many old memories.

Ken

Mr T
07-31-2020, 08:20 AM
Nice job on cosmetic cleanup of my old Whaler. It's a great boat. Brings back many old memories.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

It was a fun project for sure. Next boat has to be metal, lots of rocks where we headed.

JAWallace
07-31-2020, 10:30 AM
Rocks, eh?

If you can find one of these, you'd be in tall cotton. This 12' Metalhead sled is certainly the coolest boat I've ever owned, just artwork, plus the builder does have that drug dealer cachet :-) BIG TIME too. Who knew, especially when he stayed at our house for a couple of days.

Never my favorite though, and a great lesson to NEVER buy a flat bottom boat to use in flat water over about 5 mph, if that. I'm surprised I can still walk today after taking that kind of a beating for a few years--then sold it to George. For a river boat though, it was a dream. https://www.billkiene.com/forums/showthread.php?26446-12-Metalhead-Jet-Sled&highlight=sled

Mr T
07-31-2020, 08:43 PM
Rocks, eh?

If you can find one of these, you'd be in tall cotton. This 12' Metalhead sled is certainly the coolest boat I've ever owned, just artwork, plus the builder does have that drug dealer cachet :-) BIG TIME too. Who knew, especially when he stayed at our house for a couple of days.

Never my favorite though, and a great lesson to NEVER buy a flat bottom boat to use in flat water over about 5 mph, if that. I'm surprised I can still walk today after taking that kind of a beating for a few years--then sold it to George. For a river boat though, it was a dream. https://www.billkiene.com/forums/showthread.php?26446-12-Metalhead-Jet-Sled&highlight=sled

That is very cool looking, a bit small for my fat arse- likely gonna be a rig in the 16-18 ft range with a jet. The g3 hulls seems like a good fit for that from what I read.

JAWallace
07-31-2020, 09:41 PM
That is very cool looking, a bit small for my fat arse- likely gonna be a rig in the 16-18 ft range with a jet. The g3 hulls seems like a good fit for that from what I read.

I recently saw and went over a brand new 18' Lowe Roughneck tiller steer, very impressed. G3 is OK too, but this one to me was a standout. Small jet, stable, tons of room, not a ton of money. I think they are 3° boats so it's going to be a rough ride on any kind of chop.