PDA

View Full Version : Manzanita Lake

ricards
06-30-2020, 09:53 AM
If any of you tubers and 'tooners are planning a trip to Lake Manzanita in the near future, be careful with your feet dangling in the water. You might piss off some of the locals.

https://krcrtv.com/news/local/river-otter-seriously-injuries-visitor-at-manzanita-lake-in-lassen-volcanic-national-park

Rossflyguy
06-30-2020, 05:46 PM
Anyone wanna bet that person thought it’d be cool to swim with the otter. Just like those people who get 10’ away from the bison in Yellowstone.

ricards
06-30-2020, 06:48 PM
Anyone wanna bet that person thought it’d be cool to swim with the otter. Just like those people who get 10’ away from the bison in Yellowstone.

Might well have been the case. I think most wild creatures, including otters, do their best to avoid humans unless provoked or feel threatened.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-30-2020, 08:03 PM
It might of had a baby or babies in the area?

I have seen a lot of river Otters, even big ones in the Amazon and they never get close to humans but don't seem threatened?

steveg137
06-30-2020, 09:05 PM

I have seen a lot of river Otters, even big ones in the Amazon and they never get close to humans but don't seem threatened?

This may have been a brilliant ploy by a smart angler to deter tourists given the explosion of rentals up on Manzanita...

Last year I had people row right up to my pontoon and ask if I was fishing...

That said hope the person is OK.

ricards
07-02-2020, 01:02 PM

A very plausible explanation for what happened.

Bill Markwood
07-03-2020, 07:07 AM
I got this in an email from Recreation.gov yesterday: "For your safety and until further notice, Manzanita Lake is closed to swimming, wading, and use of soft-sided flotation devices due to river otter danger." Looks like float tubes and pontoons are out for a while.

BS
07-03-2020, 08:39 AM
I got this in an email from Recreation.gov yesterday: "For your safety and until further notice, Manzanita Lake is closed to swimming, wading, and use of soft-sided flotation devices due to river otter danger." Looks like float tubes and pontoons are out for a while.

Boy................I could see that one coming from a mile away. :mad::mad::mad:

Bob

ricards
07-03-2020, 10:56 AM
Boy................I could see that one coming from a mile away. :mad::mad::mad:

Bob

Glad I have my pram.

ricards
07-03-2020, 12:01 PM
Additionally, a five-acre portion of Manzanita Lake has been closed.

https://www.redding.com/story/news/2020/06/29/otter-bite-closes-portion-manzanita-lake/3281848001/

BS
07-03-2020, 01:10 PM
Additionally, a five-acre portion of Manzanita Lake has been closed.

https://www.redding.com/story/news/2020/06/29/otter-bite-closes-portion-manzanita-lake/3281848001/

Yep, saw that.

I'm thinking that after this weekend the entire lake will be closed to all recreational activities.

I'd be willing to bet there'll be some yutz who'll paddle his/her hard shelled floating device up to the edge of the current closed area and try to have an encounter with the momma otter.

My crystal ball isn't always 100% correct, but I've got a feeling on this one.

Hope I'm wrong.....................................:(:(

Bob