PDA

View Full Version : Looking to venture outside the AR, but no car.

Twowheelsonecamera
06-13-2020, 10:11 PM
Hey folks. I have a week vacation left to use for the year. I just need a day or two to handle some personal business then the rest of the week I plan to fly fish. I would really like to get off the AR as it's been all I've been fishing the last nine or so months, day after day. I am in my second year fly fishing, recently picking up spey and micro skagit on my 9' 5wt. I have yet to hook into a Brown or a Brook trout and I could think of no better way to spend a vacation than going on the hunt. I have been a bicycle commuter for ten years after leaving the Army so my transportation is very limited. If anyone is interested in a trip outside this area, I can help with gas and lunch. I would like to take my week sometime in July or August, preferably July as it's been a few years since I have taken a vacation.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-14-2020, 12:11 AM
I would go in June or July before it gets too hot and dry.

Twowheelsonecamera
06-15-2020, 12:41 PM
Headed up July 5th through the 7th, one night of evening dries followed by a full day of spey and micro skagit. ganna find my first brown hopefully.

PV_Premier
06-17-2020, 06:53 PM
You could also Amtrak to Dunsmuir from Sac...the train schedule sucks in both directions but the fishing is legit. Fish til 10pm then go get the train home...

In July on the Truckee it’s all about the pocket water euro nymphing...

tcorfey
06-17-2020, 08:46 PM
PV Premier has a good idea may even be able to bring your bicycle. Stay in a hotel. Travel light, another possibility is take Amtrack up to Truckee. That could be good also. I checked and it's only $35.00 each way. Takes about 3 hours.

Thinking outside the box I like it..

Regards,

Tim C.