PDA

View Full Version : Yuba River/Marysville

Terry Thomas
06-02-2020, 08:04 AM
The Yuba has been lowered to below 900 cfs and is supposed to come down to @850 today. The minimum flow standards drop to 500cfs on June 16 and they “could “ lower it to that flow. Pretty sad! Safely running the Yuba is pretty much over for a while.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-02-2020, 02:57 PM
Terry,

How was the Yuba river Shad fishing this year?

Terry Thomas
06-02-2020, 03:45 PM
It had been fishing quite well for those who could get up river with the skinny water flows and through all the weeds in the Marysville launch ramp.

Tony Buzolich
06-02-2020, 04:09 PM
You can also use the Yuba City ramp where there are no weeds. Just watch crossing over the middle river as that sand bar shallows out real quick before you reach the mouth of the Yuba.
Tony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-03-2020, 04:43 AM
Marilyn and I were up the Feather river from there some years ago in my custom jet boat fishing for SMB and coming back

down river near the ramps above the mouth of the Yuba river we got completely high centered in the middle of a small sand bar.

Luckily, a very nice couple on a jet ski stopped and helped us push it off. That indecent and few others convinced me to sell the jet boat

because at 75 my reaction time is "super slow" which is very dangerous.

Steve S
06-03-2020, 06:19 AM
Are there many shad in the Yuba right now with the water dropping down?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-03-2020, 04:36 PM
If you had a really small jet boat you might get up there.

Being gin clear, most of the time, and very shallow now, it is a wonderful visual experience.

About 10 years ago I went up there with Captain Maury Hatch, Terry T and his group of fly fishing buddies.

It should be on your bucket list.....but maybe not this year. Terry has fished it for years with Maury.

About 50 years ago I got to go there with Joe Patterson (Cortland Line Rep), Joe Shirshac (Sac City Fire Fighter), George Martin (Great

fly caster).

We drove in through the Yuba Gold Fields on the south side of the river right at the Daguerre Point Dam.

It was $2.00 per car load and they bitched about that all the way home.

You could not fish from the dam down stream for 250 feet.

At the dam there were thousands of Shad.

We went down stream a was and caught a ton of Shad.

Beautiful gravel bottom with gin clear water.

So nice.........kind of like fishing a trout stream for Shad.