PDA

View Full Version : How far up the Sac are they?

MThompson
05-24-2020, 06:09 PM
Are they past Princeton or Glenn? Or not there yet?

matt johnson
05-24-2020, 07:07 PM
Hi MThompson,

I don't have a first hand report as I haven't been out for shad yet this year but know from reliable second hand reports that shad have been in the Ord Bend area for a couple weeks now. I suspect they are quite a ways up higher after the bump in flows on the Sac last week.

I've lived in the top end of the Valley for a number of years now and have found that shad are reliably up to Red Bluff in good numbers by June 10 every year.

The Princeton/Butte City area should be solid. Matt

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-25-2020, 03:56 AM
Many years ago we would drive up to Princeton and wade fish the gravel bars there.

For something different you might give it a try, in late June? 1hr 20 min from Sacramento.

If I remember correctly there was good access on the West side of the river right in Princeton.

I guess this can be a place to wade for Stripers too?

MThompson
05-25-2020, 06:19 AM
Thanks! I actually fished for a little bit in Princeton yesterday midday. No results but it is a beautiful run. Went upstream to check another (well known) access and ran into a locked gate. Should have gone around it but I didn't. No other anglers in sight which makes me wonder about the location of the run