PDA

View Full Version : A first time occurrence while fly fishing!

EricO
04-27-2020, 04:24 PM
I was fishing a trout river with Jeff F this past weekend and had a first time awesome experience.

I decided to go with a dry/dropper rig, which I never do, anticipating a yellow sally hatch. Like clockwork
the fish were rising everywhere from noon to 2pm.

I had a size 12 mini stimmie on top, small beadhead prince nymph on the bottom 24." I cast upstream and
a trout hits the dry...I set up, and fish on. As I'm reeling in, it feels pretty heavy, so I think I've got a
decent rainbow on. As I get the trout closer I can see another trout swirling below it a couple feet, so
I thought the bottom fish is trying to eat the top trout.

Nope, as I get is closer, I notice I've hooked a 10" rainbow on the dry, and another similar size is hooked
on the dropper fly. Two fish at the same time! I was so pumped, I yell to Jeff, lift them up out of the water
and the bottom fish pops off. I even had my camera around my neck, but was so excited it didn't cross my mind
to get a pic.

So all that to say, has anyone else ever caught two trout on two flies?? I'm thinking I should have played the
lottery this past weekend.

EricO

yubaman
04-27-2020, 05:15 PM
Several times on the NF Yuba. But up there, it's almost not fair . . . the fish are so eager, not like lower Yuba.

Bob

MHeuch
04-27-2020, 05:55 PM
Great story!

Darian
04-27-2020, 09:10 PM
Fun story.... I once had a double on trout in upper Sac, fast pocket water, using two brown wooly worms (size 8, Ted Fay style). Both trout were landed/released. No photos but it was witnessed.... That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :cool:

Pupa
04-27-2020, 11:41 PM
Great story. In a similar vein, I recall my grandmother once caught a catfish in a lake in PA by hooking the monofilament loop at the end of a snelled hook that was hanging out of the fish’s mouth. Apparently someone else had previously snapped the fish off and left the protuberance. Like a circus game.

EricO
04-28-2020, 08:23 AM
Going forward, I definitely will start using dry/dropper. It's kinda fun using the dry as an indicator too.
Although I need some dry shake, because after a fish or too the stimmie sank like a rock.

Carl Blackledge
04-28-2020, 01:15 PM
Lots of times we catch two Shad at a time...The problem is you need a net, the two fish actually fight each other.

Carl Blackledge

Bkane
04-28-2020, 11:01 PM
Yes, two Shad many times because the males tend to get a hardon when the female is acting like she’s having an orgasm and on the lower sac when swinging caddis dries, has happened at least half a dozen times. Always net the point fish first or have two nets.

Idadon
04-29-2020, 08:14 AM
Happens once in awhile with a Whitefish taking the nymph and during the fight a Cutt grabs the indicator fly.

EricO
04-29-2020, 09:05 AM
I didn't even think about shad, but I can totally see that. Interesting how common it seems to be.
I'm sold on the dry/dropper now...somehow I think the nymph is probably bouncing more naturally under
a dry versus a heavy thingamabobber.

Cool responses and stories.

MThompson
04-29-2020, 10:45 AM
Doesn't really count here but I hooked a striper, a smallie, and a spot all at once on an umbrella rig at Hogan a few years back. The spot was the only one that made it to the boat. Have had several doubles over the years an that rig as well as topwater baits and crankbaits.

hwchubb
04-29-2020, 05:40 PM
That triple is a first! I’ve had a handful of doubles in my life, shad and trout, brookies in smaller Sierra waters are the ones I remember. My most memorable was the first one, though - two small bass in a golf course pond, one on the front hook of a red and white Heddon Creek Chub, the other on the rear hook.

Jeff C.
04-29-2020, 05:47 PM
Many doubles for me shad fishing. Years ago I saw Chris Laskodi get a shad triple at the Log Hole using three Wet Pinkies.

HSano
04-29-2020, 08:18 PM
I had a double hookup at Pyramid. I was using two midges under an indicator. When i set the hook, I thought I had a big fish on. However, when I got the fish to within 15 feet, I could see both fish. I actually landed both fish but not at the same time. I netted the smaller fish (on the dropper fly) but when I tried to net the larger fish, the first fish darted away and broke off the fly. The smaller fish was about 20 inches and the larger fish was 23. Since I only caught a total of four fish that day, landing two on one cast was really a surprise.

A guy near me said he had once hooked a 7 pounder and an 11 pounder at the same time. He said the 7 pounder eventually got off but he was able to land the 11 pounder.