PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Genuine Matarelli Whip Finisher w/ Thread Cutter on End

Designed2deceive
04-11-2020, 02:15 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a genuine Matarelli whip finisher with the “V” on the other end to cut thread. I know I can do this myself, but I’m looking for one that Frank made himself. He also used to make some out of bamboo I believe, I think all of those had the thread cutter. If you have one you would sell, please PM or email me. Thank you! Happy Easter

Stay Safe,

Michael

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-11-2020, 03:49 PM
Everyone "knocked off" Frank Matarelli's famous whip finisher so you can buy them from many sources now.

There are probably somewhere around 10 or 20 different SKUs for that type of Whip Finisher?

I know about the V cut in the end for cutting the thread but not sure if anyone makes them like that?

I am not even sure that Matarelli made them like that?

Jay Murakoshi
04-11-2020, 06:28 PM
I have a bunch of Frank Matarelli's tools. Two whip finishers, I think 4 bobbins, two long tubes and two short tubes and 3 bobbins that were designed for sew machine bobbins.. All the bobbins have FM inscribed on the foot of each bobbin.

Yes, Frank did put a thread cutter on the end of the whip finisher, but the ones I have are now dull.

I think it was at the ISE San Mateo Fly fishing show where Frank passed a few out to some of the tiers. These are in my collection of items that I received from a lot of notable tiers and famous people who are and were in the industry.

Jay Murakoshi
04-11-2020, 06:29 PM
Oh, by the way I have seen a few whip finishers on the market with the cutter. I think they came from India.

Designed2deceive
04-11-2020, 07:55 PM
Thanks Bill & Jay,

Yes, the typical commercial finishers that Frank made did not have the thread cutter. They were typically ones he gave to other tiers so they are not as common but they are out there, he also made several for Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, Montana that Craig Mathews sold.

Like Jay, I have several of Franks tools and being collector I was looking for one to add to my collection. I enjoy collecting high quality fly tying tools. If you know of anyone who has one, please let me know! Thank you!

Mike

Carl Blackledge
04-12-2020, 12:25 AM
I have one. What's it worth?
Carl

Designed2deceive
04-12-2020, 03:58 AM
I have one. What's it worth?
Carl

Hi Carl, I sent you a PM. Thank you!

Mike

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-12-2020, 04:23 AM
Here is a funny one.....

For many years we ordered Matarelli tools from Frank in the Bay area.

In the 1970s they were the best tools you could find with virtually no competitors.

The first other descent bobbin was made by Creative Sports that had little balls that fit into the thread spools.

One shipment came from Matarelli and it had one bobbin that actually cut thread when we tied with it.

I called Matarelli and they said it was impossible and we were doing something wrong?

They sent us some store string and a small used piece of jeweler's rouge to run through the barrel.

What "actually / probably" happened was they missed polishing the end of one bobbin.

Late in the game Frank's son ran the business for some years.

Designed2deceive
04-12-2020, 04:57 AM
Hi Bill,

Yes, I saw a video recently where Wayne Luallen uses a small piece of rouge that Frank gave him and a toothpick to polish his Matarelli bobbin.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-12-2020, 11:24 AM
Small world Mike.......

Designed2deceive
04-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Carl wasn’t interested so I’m still looking....PM if you have one and would sell. Thanks!

Mike

Jay Murakoshi
04-12-2020, 05:12 PM
I have a piece of that jewelers rouge. I've had it for many years. I think it's in my box of old worn tying scissors, shoe box size. I tried sharpening the scissors but once you wear off the serrated section, the scissors are only good for cutting wire.