PDA

View Full Version : Jeff’s 2020 AR Shad Reports

Jeff C.
04-05-2020, 01:31 PM
Been organizing my shad fly boxes for the upcoming run.

Mark Stinson
04-05-2020, 08:21 PM
Serious arsenal!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-06-2020, 04:31 AM
Could start any day now?

They usually start getting them at the mouth of the American and Feather rivers first.

Sometimes they get early reports below Sacramento?

Mouth of the American river @ Discovery park.

Quinnphoto
04-06-2020, 01:45 PM
How many of those are you sharing with us through Kiene’s? So far I love the Bloody Maria :)

Jeff C.
04-06-2020, 02:15 PM
Kiene’s will have Bloody Marias, Firecrackers and Red Lipsticks.

Quinnphoto
04-06-2020, 06:45 PM
all winners!!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-07-2020, 04:26 AM
50 years ago Joe Shirshac, local fire fighter, tied Shad flies for some of the local sporting goods stores.

He used the Eagle Claw 1197N hook in size #4 and #6 which are huge by today's standards.

It had a little short white calf tail, silver mylar piping body, chartreuse or hot orange chenille collar, white hackle and large chrome

bead chain eyes.

Of coarse back then we all used a 9' #9 line 2 pc fiberglass fly rod, large reel, 20# Micron backing, 100' of mono shooting line and a

30' shooting head for Shad. (and for Stripers, salmon and Steelhead too)

During the drought of the late 1970s Jimmy Potter tied a very small fly for fishing the Lower Yuba river for Shad.

It was on a #8 or 10 Mustad 3908C hook with small chrome bead chain eyes, red floss body with fine flat silver rib.

It would be very similar to the stand small flies used for Shad today.

MThompson
04-08-2020, 10:55 AM
Do those flies ride hook point up with the single bead? Does it matter?

Jeff C.
04-08-2020, 09:07 PM
They ride hook down but occasionally will ride hook up. It doesn’t matter!

winxp_man
04-09-2020, 11:51 AM
Do those flies ride hook point up with the single bead? Does it matter?

It depends on the size of the bead head. I some times put a slightly larger bead to get it to ride hook up.

Brian Clemens
04-11-2020, 09:46 PM
They are on their way, there have been a few stuck on the Sac recently.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-12-2020, 04:52 AM
Some Shad history:

In the 1970s our local fly fishing club, the Californian Fly fishermen Unlimited, always had an annual Shad outing at Goethe Park (River

Bend Park today). It was probably in June when the run was in full swing.

Some of the members where in charge of getting and smoking some Shad for the outing every year.

One year I was working in West Sacramento for Harry Boley at West Capitol Rod & Gun, "the Bait Shop".

Harry went out at night in a boat with a light and netted some Shad in the outboard prop wash for the club's outing.

He then took them to a place down the river, maybe Freeport, where they smoked your Shad, traded you 2 fresh for 1 smoked.

Back then the biggest, most popular run on the river was "Upper Goethe Park". People came from all over to fish there.

It was 90% fly anglers, many from the Bay area on the weekends. There would be 50 to 100 anglers lined up.

My brother Dick and I had been catching Shad for years at the "Minnow Hole" on the Sacramento river with spinning gear.

Someone at a tackle shop/sporing goods store told us about the American river and we would fly fish there because it had snags?

I went into Sports Unlimited on Arden way and bought a complete fly fishing outfit for Shad, Steelhead, salmon and Stripers.

I went to Goethe Park on a Saturday, what an experience. We knew where it was because we rode our dirt bikes there.

You had to stand back and wait for a spot to open up so you could get in. Everyone was casting a "mile" with shooting heads.

I had been fly fishing for bass and panfish so we had some idea but it was really different with a big 9 foot 9 weight fly rod.

I thrashed away for a while with very little success. A guy who had a small travel trailer up on the bluff came back down from having a

sandwich with his wife. He asked me if I wanted some help? I said Yes, thanks. He took my outfit and cast it all the way across the

water. He said that I had a very good outfit but needed to know how to cast it. He went through a complete drill showing me all his

subtle techniques. Then he turned me loose. It was getting late in the afternoon and lots of Shad where being caught. After an hour of

trying I finally got out about 50 feet one cast and hooked a nice big Shad. That night I hooked a really hot Shad that "greyhounded"

on top down the river. Someone below me shouted" Steelhead" but it was just a very large female Shad. I was hooked from then on.

Looking back on that day I am pretty sure the guy who helped me get started was Andy Puyans from Creative Sports in Pacheco?

lee s.
04-12-2020, 12:41 PM
And Bill,
YOU have been helping people get started ever since.
Thank you...
...lee s.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-12-2020, 01:29 PM
Yes Lee.....I bet you have done your share too.

That is why it is just such a fantastic sport.

MThompson
04-12-2020, 02:23 PM
Bill,
Years ago, (early nineties) I used to pal around with a gentleman from Sacramento named Tom Hayter. He helped shorten the learning curve for me in a big way and introduced me to shad fishing. He used to play with video equipment and one day he showed me a video of you and him at Goethe shad fishing. I believe Tom had a big striper eat a shad he was playing and he had to follow it out of frame. Any chance you remember that? Long time ago. Probably in the eighties...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-12-2020, 07:25 PM
Tom Hayter was a very good fly fisher from the Greatest Generation.

Like many of these old timers he was very good to me.

He flew the B52 bombers and after retiring from the USAF he became a CPA.

I think his office was near McClellan AFB where he said he had lots of air force memorabilia and photos.

He was also into getting gold out of the cracks in the bedrock of our mountain streams in the winter.

One day he brought in a bag of gold nuggets that weighted about 10 pounds.

He was up near Forrest Hill stream fishing by himself when two scruffy looking guys, on foot, try to rob him.

Tom always carried a piston so he pulled it out and marched them into town, on foot, while he drove his SUV.

He got into float tubing and went wild for it going a lot to Pardee reservoir..

Tom took me and my dad up to Pardee once and we had a great day of float tubing with Tom's help.

I had a copy of that VHS tape / video he took many years ago by Goethe Park / Arden Pond.

He had one of the first video camera with sound and a tripod.

He set it up to show his friend or brother what Shad fishing looked like.

He was playing a Shad and a big Striper must of eaten it.

He finally had to follow it downstream out of the camera range but the sound still worked.

You could hear Tom talking and the reel screaming. Finally it broke off.

Every year during the Shad season we would play that video...lots of fun.

Tom was married to a lovely airline stewardess and they finally moved to her place in Florida for retirement.

MThompson
04-13-2020, 08:11 AM
That's the guy! Talk about a guy that lived life to the fullest. He never stayed around the house like a lot of retired folks. Fishing, golf, metal detecting, videos, he was into something every day. The two guys up by Foresthill thought they had an easy target until they heard that Ruger Single Six go off. That was my favorite story and there were lots of good ones. Thanks for your response Bill. Brings back a lot of fond memories.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-13-2020, 04:58 PM
Yes, you could do a movie/documentary about his life story........

Twowheelsonecamera
04-15-2020, 12:00 PM
They are on their way, there have been a few stuck on the Sac recently.
Saw a posting today from what Im assuming is the Sac. Getting excited for the season! im either going to go skagit style on a 9' 5wt or spey casting on a 13' 7wt

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-15-2020, 12:49 PM
Drive by the mouth of the American river near Discovery park to see if there are boats anchored there after Shad?

Jeff C.
04-18-2020, 08:59 AM
This morning Bob Simms reported there were some caught near the mouth of the American so they are on their way right on schedule.

Pvillarr
04-18-2020, 08:02 PM
This morning Bob Simms reported they some were caught near the mouth of the American so they are on their way right on schedule.

Great news!

Randy Lee
04-19-2020, 08:33 AM
Jeff,
Is that a smile I'm detecting on your face? Can't wait either brother.
Randy

Jeff C.
04-23-2020, 01:42 PM
I heard that some were trickling in so I fished a couple of lower river spots this morning.

No shad were caught but I did see a sea lion raising havoc.

Pvillarr
04-23-2020, 02:52 PM
I heard that some were trickling in so I fished a couple of lower river spots this morning. No shad were caught but I did a sea lion raising havoc.

I think it is time to start swinging with both a steelhead and a shad fly in hopes for some poor man's tarpon action!

Katz
04-24-2020, 11:24 AM
Always fun to keep any eye on the Shad Cam as the season approaches. Katz

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/shadcam/

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-25-2020, 05:56 AM
Very nice video on Shad fishing the lower American river.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4u46VSx5uA

dave earl
04-25-2020, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the video Bill. I fall in too often to risk fishing without a belt like the guy in the video.

Jeff C.
04-25-2020, 10:10 AM
Ron Fong is the angler in the video. He has been wearing that belt pdf for as long as I have known him.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-25-2020, 06:18 PM
Ron Fong, DDS is Al Fong's brother, manager of the Fisherman's Warehouse on Folsom Blvd in Rancho Cordova, not far from Kiene's.

Ron is good friends with Andy Guibord..........both top anglers and super good human beings.

Twowheelsonecamera
04-26-2020, 01:56 PM
Nothing yet at Watt avenue in my experience. Hearing about them down river though. Shouldn't be long. Good choke point might be top of Watt/tip of the island

Jeff C.
04-27-2020, 01:19 PM
Fished one of my favorite holes down low this morning. I got there at sunrise and fished only a couple of minutes before a pair of sea lions went through the hole a couple of times. I packed it up and went to a couple of spots a little further upriver. Got one small male on a Bloody Maria. I can’t wait for more to show up

Randy Lee
04-28-2020, 07:29 AM
Sadly, the sea lions are not following the shelter in place guide lines.

Katz
04-30-2020, 12:40 PM
Actually 2. K

Jeff C.
04-30-2020, 05:37 PM
I bet everyone’s wondering why I haven’t been providing an updates. The reason is that it has been dead slow for me. Except for the one small male I got on Monday I’ve been blanked every day and I have tried low, mid and up high on the A. There was an initial wave that came in last week and they are very scattered. There’re anglers trying for shad everywhere that I have fished so everyone is chomping at the bit. The main push has not arrived. I won’t worry unless it’s like this in 2 weeks.

Quinnphoto
04-30-2020, 05:53 PM
I am hanging on every word that comes out of your mouth :) ....................waiting waiting waiting

Ed Wahl
04-30-2020, 08:40 PM
Motored over a school of small males on Monday. Midriver. Switched over to Stripers and caught 2 small ones and one pikeminnow. It's still coming. Just wait.

Pvillarr
04-30-2020, 11:19 PM
While I was out swinging for steelies today, I got lucky to catch my first Shad of the season! I had 2 more hookups but they came off before I could tell what they were. The Shad are on the move up river!

mattv-mcfly
05-01-2020, 12:34 AM
They are up the Feather in Yuba City. I saw a few people that kept a stringer full and I caught three males within an hour before sunset. Tied up a few new flies and gonna try and gettem again tomorrow. Hope they get to you guys soon!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-01-2020, 05:00 AM
In the big drought of the late 1970s many would go to the mouth of the Feather river in the Spring to wade on the big sand bar and fly

fish for Shad and Stripers. I remember early in the run catching many small males that did not do much fighting.

When the Sacramento and the Feather rivers are both very low you need to go there to see how cool it can be.

Lots of Stripers where caught at this time and lots of Shad....

I can think of a half dozen good stories that I have already told that are probably in our archives?

One Spring I had just finished a building a 9' #11 line, 2 piece fly rod on a yellow LamiGlass blank.

It had a full wells grip, fighting butt and fore grip for future Tarpon trips I was dreaming about.

It was a slow action with a softer tip, nothing like an 11 weight of today....more like a softer #9 today.

I had a Pflueger Supreme salt water fly reel on it which was popular in that period in time.

I wanted to try it out so I put 25' lead core head on it and went one even to the mouth of the Feather.

It was Striper time so old Joe Shirshac and I went together and waded out on the big sand bar.

We arrived at sunset because in those days the common belief was that you could not catch Stripers on a fly with the sun up?

Might have been a good size moon because we could see to wade around and fish.

A bunch of Sacramento fly fishers had been there fishing for Shad but left at sunset.

On the far side was a giant mostly sunken log in the water paralleling the bank.

A good size fish busted the surface several time next to the log eating something in the dark.

I waded our near it and cast my black 7 inch eel pattern to the area and soon hooked a good fish.

It was strong and starting jumping like a Steelhead which caught me off guard.

When I got it in and looked at it, it was a very large Smallmouth Bass.

I released it and thought that was pretty wild.....not thinking, but it was probably my person best SMB.

Back during that time in the low flows of Spring we had many eventful days and nights at the mouth of the Feather.

Jeff C.
05-01-2020, 08:13 PM
Things are looking up! Solo float today resulted in double digits but it took 8 hours so they are not in thick. Hot flies were the Bloody Maria, Red Lipstick and my new Black Pearl.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-01-2020, 08:28 PM
Wow...........May should be a good month.

I guess it is time to put your tackle in your vehicle and hit it in the evens?

Captain Andy Guibord said he was probably going to start guiding Shad/Striper trips in the American river next week?

Jeff C.
05-02-2020, 10:25 PM
There are shad throughout the whole river but not in big numbers with the most mid river. Fished this am for a couple of hours mid river and got a handful. Then Earle and I floated this afternoon and got double digits to the boat. The normal spots most anglers fish are froggy due to the low flow so the places that are swingable will be coveted unless the flows are bumped up.

Tony Buzolich
05-03-2020, 05:59 PM
Bob Simms said Rick from Fly Fishing Specialties took a ride all the way up the Yuba to DeGuarre Dam and didn't take or see a single fish.

The higher you go in the river system the longer it takes for them to get here.
Tony

Brian Clemens
05-03-2020, 07:53 PM
Hey Tony, that ride up was with me on Friday. We looked in all the usual holes from bottom to top and top to bottom didn't see any shad. But saw sturgeon, stripers, trout and lots of sucker/squaw fish. With that said should be any day now.

Chasin Fin
05-03-2020, 09:02 PM
Floated a few hours this morning. Didn’t see any shad floating down but did see one boat pull a few so they are there. We were targeting stripers and stuck a few schoolies for the kids to reel in. Can’t wait to get them on a school of shad. Should be fun for them this year as they both can cast a spin rod pretty good. Hoping for the best as it’s been 10+ years since I’ve target shad.

Flows are down and water is low. Also seems like more homeless camps along the river than last year...

Hope to be out later this week in the am

Jeff C.
05-03-2020, 10:21 PM
Earle and I only got a handful today on a short float. Broke a rod fighting a shad due to a nick from a tungsten bead head fly (bad single handed casting). The big push is in it’s way.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-04-2020, 05:15 AM
Earle and I only got a handful today on a short float. Broke a rod fighting a shad due to a nick from a tungsten bead head fly (bad single handed casting). The big push is in it’s way.

Jeff, do use two handed while wading and single handed from the boat?

Jeff C.
05-04-2020, 05:54 AM
I use two handed rods exclusively for both wading and boat fishing. Most of the time I’ll do spey casts from the boat but occasionally I’ll single hand cast when I use 30 ft of LC13 or T-11 and a running line. Also the rods are 11 ft 5 or 6 wt switch rods.

Quinnphoto
05-04-2020, 11:11 AM
Spent late afternoon on the upper rive and stuck only three. I also didn't see a school the whole time. I'm sure by the end of the week they will be thick. The flows seem especially low compared to last year's flows.

Pvillarr
05-04-2020, 11:26 AM
My father and I hit double digits yesterday fishing the middle part of the river wading. The hot fly was a #10 firecracker. The Shad still seem like they are moving in and are not quite packed up yet. Nonetheless, it was fun!

winxp_man
05-04-2020, 12:41 PM
Yes flows are down big time compared to last years 5k minimum it was as high as 10k in June!

Nmitch
05-04-2020, 06:51 PM
Had a good day sat with 6 fish in about an hour. Sunday got 10 total with a buddy in same general area. Both days the bite slowed down in the evening...don’t know if it was the fish or I needed to move spots.

Jeff C.
05-04-2020, 07:04 PM
Fished early this morning with Smitty mid river and we got into some but it wasn’t lights out. Andy called me while I was fishing to ask if I wanted to do a recon in his jet Lowe. Obviously when Andy asked you I’d you want to go look for shad with him you jump on it. We launched his boat mid-river and it was initially slow but we stated to find one or two here and there. We finally found a bunch in some shallow water. Always great to fish with Capt. Andy.

Keepemwet
05-05-2020, 03:02 PM
Fished early this morning with Smitty mid river and we got into some but it wasn’t lights out. Andy called me while I was fishing to ask if I wanted to do a recon in his jet Lowe. Obviously when Andy asked you I’d you want to go look for shad with him you jump on it. We launched his boat mid-river and it was initially slow but we stated to find one or two here and there. We finally found a bunch in some shallow water. Always great to fish with Capt. Andy.

Did you guys see any stripers chasing those Shad around or schools?

Jeff C.
05-05-2020, 03:08 PM
We didn’t see any stripers and no big pods of shad and Andy has a keen eye for spotting stripers.

Jeff C.
05-05-2020, 05:10 PM
Fished this morning midriver and did well until it got crowded with bobber anglers. Hot fly was the Firecracker

Jeff C.
05-06-2020, 04:16 PM
Did a solo float (upper river to mid-river). Got one or two here and there from the top to the take-out but did pickup a half dozen in one mid-river hole that was a wind tunnel. The North wind was brutal in a few reaches. FYI, went by an angler who told me the Harrington was packed.

Pvillarr
05-06-2020, 05:17 PM
Did a solo float (upper river to mid-river). Got one or two here and there from the top to the take-out but did pickup a half dozen in one mid-river hole that was a wind tunnel. The North wind was brutal in a few reaches. FYI, went by an angler who told me the Harrington was packed.

Thanks for the report Jeff. I saw a video someone took of Harringtons and it was almost shoulder to shoulder there.

Skyler76
05-06-2020, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the report Jeff. I saw a video someone took of Harringtons and it was almost shoulder to shoulder there.

Yep, I walked the bank at Gristmill, both Harrington and Gristmill were both shoulder to shoulder. I didn't realize shad were only at that one riffle..

On a serious note, did a float from SB to Rossmoore today. No visible shad above Sunrise, but plenty all the way down from Sunrise.

Smitty Fish
05-06-2020, 08:25 PM
Hopefully they bump the flows up some to open up some more water.

Jeff C.
05-08-2020, 07:55 PM
Floated in the mini today and got over 20. Broke my 6 wt Method switch rod fighting a strong shad!

Chasin Fin
05-08-2020, 08:04 PM
When you guy say “float” are you stoping and holding up in different areas or are you truly drifted key spots and working it similar to stripers. Thanks and just trying this out this year on the fly. It’s been fun so far but tough to put down the striper rod. Trying to get into a good spot for the boys to get some good action. Thanks guys!

Jeff C.
05-08-2020, 10:09 PM
I normally stop at good holding water.

Mark Kranhold
05-09-2020, 07:19 PM
How do you break so many rods???

Jeff C.
05-09-2020, 09:01 PM
I think it’s because I try to get them in as fast ask possible and released. I don’t like to overplay fish.

Jeff C.
05-09-2020, 09:51 PM
Floated with Earle Sloan this afternoon. It was slow for me at the start with Earle going 3:1 to me but the last hour we fished tables were turned and it was 3:1 in my favor. We ended up with over 40 to the boat. The low flow has resulted in only a few places you can get a good swing. It was very busy with anglers and boats starting early in the morning and lasting through the day. The key to getting into shad is the right line, fly and presentation!

OceanSunfish
05-09-2020, 09:54 PM
How do you break so many rods???

The bummer is that Sage is closed........... hard to get a replacement anytime soon, I presume.

Jeff C.
05-09-2020, 10:41 PM
Yes, but I have a lot of backups.

OceanSunfish
05-10-2020, 11:29 AM
Yes, but I have a lot of backups.

Goes without saying........ ;)

For the non-connoisseur, it maybe a misfortune.

Jeff C.
05-10-2020, 07:55 PM
Floated again today with Earle. The holes we did well in yesterday were very spotty (they must have moved up because we saw a lot of shad in a big shallow flat on the way down to those holes). The last couple of places we stopped kicked out shad and we ended up with more to the boat than yesterday. There were fewer anglers and boats out today. Yesterday was a zoo!

Quinnphoto
05-10-2020, 09:25 PM
Typically aren’t Saturdays and Sundays crowed? I usually fish weekdays so I can avoid the crowds but maybe I need to rethink weekends?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-11-2020, 04:39 AM
Typically aren’t Saturdays and Sundays crowed? I usually fish weekdays so I can avoid the crowds but maybe I need to rethink weekends?

One of the benefits of retirement is to be able to fish weekdays when it usually is less crowded.

The boat launches here in Central East Coast Florida yesterday were not very busy............raining, windy and Mother's Day?

Last Sunday we drove sight seeing north for about 30 miles on Hwy 1 along the Inter Coastal "Indian River Lagoon" and all the boat ramps (all free in FL) were full with vehicles and empty boat trailers parked on both side of the road.

Our local bait-n-tackle shop says they have never been so busy.......

Jeff C.
05-11-2020, 05:00 PM
Floated in the mini today. Not many anglers except for a couple of spots. Used mostly 30 ft of T-11 and the hot flies were the Maria and the Red Lipstick. By the end it started to look like steelhead weather. Ended up with almost 30 to the boat!

Jeff C.
05-12-2020, 09:58 PM
Fished early this morning and got 7 before the bite shutdown. Definitely not shad weather. Went back out this evening but only fished for an hour because it was crowded and windy. Andy told me the bite was off mid river today also.

EricO
05-13-2020, 11:29 AM
Hey Jeff,

I always hear you mention the "mini." I don't think I've ever seen it. Do you fish from it, or just beach it,
fish from the bank, and then get back in and keep floating? That's what I've always done with my kayak.
It's not practical to fish from because you start spinning.

Glad you're getting into them as usual...keep Chingin' 'em!

Btw, got a pic of the mini??

Here's a picture of Jeff's pontoon and my kayak when we floated two years ago.

Eric

Jeff C.
05-13-2020, 06:17 PM
EDawg,

Most of the time I anchor and fish from the boat. Sometimes I’ll use it as a water taxi and swing a run. I’ll text you a pic!

Jeff C.
05-13-2020, 06:37 PM
Fished this afternoon. I wasn’t expecting much because it’s normally slow when the flows change but I found a bucket and got into double digits. The funny part was even though I could cast over a country mile I got most most of my fish with no more than 20 ft of running out. 15 ft Type 8 sink tip and the Red Lipstick were the winning combo! FYI, it’s getting crazy busy for the evening with anglers and boats everywhere!

Jeff C.
05-14-2020, 05:39 PM
Went for a solo float today. Hardly anyone around because it was dreary weather. People and boats started showing up as the weather cleared. Used different flies but the overall winner was the Red Lipstick followed by the Maria. I sure wish it would warm up because if it’s not 90+ degrees it’s not shad weather.

Jeff C.
05-15-2020, 04:11 PM
Floated today and it was very slow. Spots that were good yesterday were not good today. No one did well that I talked to but tomorrow is another day!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-15-2020, 05:47 PM
What is the flow now?

MThompson
05-15-2020, 06:06 PM
About 1750

Mr T
05-16-2020, 06:16 AM
Got out for a couple hours yesterday. Saw one fish hooked and that was it.

JohnR
05-16-2020, 08:42 AM
Yesterday afternoon/evening we drifted from Sailor bar to Rossmoor... Very slow... saw fish everywhere but they had lockjaw. Just a couple fish to the net above Sunrise.

Jeff C.
05-16-2020, 09:16 PM
Fished this morning and it was very crowded. Only saw 1 landed between 30-40 anglers. Earle and I floated this afternoon and it was work getting one here and there. We found a bucket at the end and put over 40 to the boat.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-17-2020, 04:35 AM
I guess floating the river has some advantages.......

I think past Kiene's employee Brett Humphries is going out Tuesday with Captain Andy Guibord.

Jeff C.
05-17-2020, 06:26 PM
Floated this morning with Earle Sloan. We were hooking shad but the fun ended when a shad pulled Earle’s Sage rod and reel overboard. If anyone finds it around Sailor Bar Island please let me know. I know what a bummer it is to lose a rod and reel!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-18-2020, 04:15 AM
Andy Guibord can dive for it?

Should be easy to find with a mask, snorkel and fins at 1700 cfs?

Jay Murakoshi
05-18-2020, 06:30 AM
What? No wet suit. That water has to be cold

Jeff C.
05-18-2020, 04:28 PM
Waded this morning and got more than a handful. Hot fly was the my Red Headlight. Best fishing was when it was raining. Saw a bunch of anglers but not one of them hooked any. The best news was that Earle’s rod and reel were found by Karl Bly (American River Lost and Found). Karl is a kayaker who’s hobby is finding stuff in the river. Thanks Karl! Earle was stoked when he got home today!

STEELIES/26c3
05-18-2020, 10:58 PM
Waded this morning and got more than a handful. Hot fly was the my Red Headlight. Best fishing was when it was raining. Saw a bunch of anglers but not one of them hooked any. The best news was that Earle’s rod and reel were found by Karl Bly (American River Lost and Found). Karl is a kayaker who’s hobby is finding stuff in the river. Thanks Karl! Earle was stoked when he got home today!

Some much needed good KARMA...
I went to Karl's page to thank him and offer him a free guided salmon, steelhead or striper trip and while on his page, I saw a photo of a blue kayak his friend had capsized and lost at the SJR's. Turns out, I spotted the boat downriver while striper fishing last week. I let him know where to look for it so hopefully it will get back to its rightful owner soon... FISH ON BROTHERS! ><((((>

Troutsource
05-19-2020, 07:40 AM
On another note, do shad scare away trout/steelhead when they're in a run?

Sunday I hit mid-river in perfect conditions: cloudy, showers, birds working my favorite stretch -- usually meaning the caddis are hatching (and I did see some). Yet no fish were rising and my usual caddis patterns/techniques failed (dries and swinging pupae). So I switched to some deep high-sticking with heavily weighted nymphs and started catching shad hand over fist. These were the first shad I ever caught and they seemed to take anything I threw at them: green deep sparkle caddis pupa, frenchie, a black prince-type pattern with red wire ribbing and chartreuse head, etc. Caught them both on the dead drift and at the end of the drift while the fly was rising off the bottom.
Not a single mykiss.

Which led me to wonder if the shad had crowded/scared them out. I moved on to another section and was able to land some small hatchery trout there.

Jeff C.
05-19-2020, 06:58 PM
I don’t think shad push steelhead out. Halfpounders have been caught during shad runs. This year I think it’s because the water temps are so high (last year at this time it was around 54 degrees). Did a solo float today and got into double digits. Bankies and waders that I saw didn’t do well. Hot fly today was Andy’s Shady Lady!

Jeff C.
05-19-2020, 09:11 PM
FYI, Aron told me 2 cars had their windows smashed at El Manto this afternoon. No access is safe so either keep everything out of sight or leave your windows open and a 20 dollar bill on the passenger seat (the side most frequently broken to get to the glove compartment). I never leave anything of any value in my vehicle but I guess they could steal your registration and garage door opener then visit your home.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-20-2020, 04:18 AM
Yes, this has been going on for decades now.

Jeff C.
05-20-2020, 06:54 PM
Floated today and it was slow probably due the the drop on flows (and it’s going to drop to 1250 cfs tonight). Got into double digits but it was 6 hours of work. Flies that hooked fish today were: Bloody Maria, Firecracker, Too Sexy, Red Lipstick and Shady Lady. Broke another rod today fighting the last shad I hooked. That makes #4 for this run. I’m glad I have lots of backups!

MThompson
05-20-2020, 07:01 PM
Do you find that they shut off when they bump the flows up also? I'm guessing a few days of steady flows is best for them to get comfortable and active?

Pvillarr
05-20-2020, 07:06 PM
Floated today and it was slow probably due the the drop on flows (and it’s going to drop to 1250 cfs tonight). Got into double digits but it was 6 hours of work. Flies that hooked fish today were: Bloody Maria, Firecracker, Too Sexy, Red Lipstick and Shady Lady. Broke another rod today fighting the last shad I hooked. That makes #4 for this run. I’m glad I have lots of backups!

Interesting....the past few days have been kind of weird with the weather changes.

Quinnphoto
05-20-2020, 07:27 PM
You were working it today Jeff

Jeff C.
05-20-2020, 07:48 PM
Weather and flows definitely affects shad. Cool weather is typically not conducive to the bite (like I said if it’s not 90+ degrees it’s not shad weather) and any change in flows will affect their behavior until they settle down and rearrange where they will hold. My major concern with this run is the water temp. They are already spawning and I predict the run will be over in 3-4 weeks.

OceanSunfish
05-20-2020, 10:15 PM
Our weather hasn't been particular hot but it will be warmer next week....... Very hot weather and low flows may instigate further spawning....... the fish sense the need to get on with 'business' and get out of "Dodge".

I surmise the Salt Water mitigation efforts that Folsom stored water was used for the past several Springs isn't needed this Spring? The other rivers in the system are not flowing to mitigate much either. Of course, "mitigation" may have been code for something else the past few years. ;)

Jeff C.
05-21-2020, 07:15 PM
Another slow day! Floated solo and there were four other boats but they were gone by mid-day. Even though shad were spotted I didn’t see any caught. Stuck it out and got into double digits. The hot flies today were the Maria, Red Lipstick and Shady Lady. I heard that the evenings have been nuts with lots of anglers and boats. The low flow has resulted in a lot of congestion because there are only a few places that you can fish.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-22-2020, 04:32 AM
Anyone reporting about the Sacramento, Feather or Yuba river Shad runs?

Past employee of Kiene's, Brett Humphies, came down from Bishop on Tuesday to fish with Andy Guibord.

Andy said they quit a little early that evening so Brett could drive home that evening.

Partly because they caught so many Shad that Brett's wrist was soar.......

Fishtopher
05-22-2020, 07:47 AM
The Sac blew out last week due to thunderstorms in the north end of the valley. Will be fishable by this weekend. I was out 2 weeks ago in the Chico area and they were just starting to trickle in. Next few weeks should be prime.

BradW
05-22-2020, 02:20 PM
Attempted to fish the Log Hole yesterday, but too many bank fisherman. A few were doing quite well. Then went up to Sailor Bar and got 10 in an hour, between 6 and 7, then it went dead. Caught the majority on the Bloody Maria and the remainder on the "4th of July". Some sections were quite crowded after 6 pm.

Pvillarr
05-22-2020, 02:45 PM
Attempted to fish the Log Hole yesterday, but too many bank fisherman. A few were doing quite well. Then went up to Sailor Bar and got 10 in an hour, between 6 and 7, then it went dead. Caught the majority on the Bloody Maria and the remainder on the "4th of July". Some sections were quite crowded after 6 pm.

That sounds like you were "at the right place at the right time" at sailor when you hit a pod!

Mr T
05-22-2020, 05:30 PM
Got on the water about 3, hit 8-9 in rapid succession and then it went dead.

Jeff C.
05-22-2020, 05:52 PM
Floated with Earle today. We got over 20 to the boat with Earle doing most of the work. The North wind came up mid-day and it was pretty brutal. We floated over a huge pod with big fish but they were in a spot you couldn’t swing. Lots of boats in front of us so we took a detour upriver and by the time we drifted down they were gone because I suspect that they did not do well. Hot fly was Earle’s Ronald McDonald.

OceanSunfish
05-23-2020, 12:16 AM
Flow dropped again........... could hardly get the fly line to drift downstream. Not complaining.......... nice to get out. Did hook some Shad though with some tactical adjustments.

Jeff C.
05-23-2020, 06:58 PM
Went left when everyone when right in the mini today to avoid the raft hatch. Ended up putting in some work and got over 20. Hot flies were the Maria, Ronald McDonald and G3 soft hackle.

Jeff C.
05-24-2020, 06:17 PM
Floated with Earle today. It was busy on the river being a Holiday weekend and we didn’t see much catching but we put 30 to the boat. Same flies as yesterday!

Jeff C.
05-25-2020, 04:41 PM
Got out as the sun rose and got into a bunch. Earle showed up and we decided to do a short float in his drift boat. We ended up with over 40 for the day. Earle’s Ronald McDonald and my G3 soft hackle were the hot flies!

lcpl.allan
05-26-2020, 09:07 AM
Alright Jeff, what in the living heck am I doing wrong?! I'm out here in the AR, in a boat, and I've watched, what seems like, a thousand fish go swimming by! I've chucked everything in my box, I've nymphed, I've swung, I've gone low, I've gone high, and I've only hooked ONE!! I'm staring at about three dozen fish within 20 feet from the boat in about two feet of water. I've fished deep water and I've fished shallow water.
PLEASE! HELP! I'm ready to pull out my already thinning hair! Teach me o wise one! How do you do it?!? ��������

Jeff C.
05-26-2020, 11:32 AM
It's been hard to get them to bite especially if you can see them (they can see you). Almost every boat I’ve talked to said the same thing, they see lots of fish but they can’t get them to bite. Andy told me if you strip a fly thru them you might get one to go after your fly. Make sure you are anchored well above a pod is my only my suggestion and adjust the length of your swing ntil you start getting them. I think the biggest problem is the low flow this year. They seem to be more grabby if there is a decent current.

Jeff C.
05-26-2020, 05:04 PM
Wet waded today because I would have roasted in my boat. Saw a handful of other anglers in the morning but they were all gone by noon (except for Michael in his pontoon) when the heat kicked in. At 3 pm when it was 102, I was the only fool fishing. Got into double digits using the Maria, Firecracker, Ronald McDonald and G3 soft hackle.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-26-2020, 05:24 PM
Many years ago at the mouth of the Feather river on the sandbar some young guys were waded out to their shoulders with only their heads above the water with just the tips of their spinning rods sticking out in front of them. It was really funny......

lcpl.allan
05-26-2020, 10:09 PM
Thanks Jeff! Seemed like everywhere we went we were sitting on top of a pod. My one grab today was a nice big hen. Came off the water water around 1045 this morning, and yes, it was hot in the boat! Talked to another drifter who said he hadn't seen many bent rods all morning. My buddy who was fishing conventional gear didn't get a grab all day.
I will say though, it is a lot of fun to watch how the fish behave in the schools and the spawning habits.

OceanSunfish
05-26-2020, 10:34 PM
Alright Jeff, what in the living heck am I doing wrong?! I'm out here in the AR, in a boat, and I've watched, what seems like, a thousand fish go swimming by! I've chucked everything in my box, I've nymphed, I've swung, I've gone low, I've gone high, and I've only hooked ONE!! I'm staring at about three dozen fish within 20 feet from the boat in about two feet of water. I've fished deep water and I've fished shallow water.
PLEASE! HELP! I'm ready to pull out my already thinning hair! Teach me o wise one! How do you do it?!? ��������

The flow is too slooooooow............. you're probably getting grabs (inhaling and purging) without even detecting it...... happens to many. No current, no swing/tight line..... lots of dead drifting (inhaling/purging), etc. If you retrieve your line, you may time a pull to when the fly is in their mouth. Just my $.02

lee s.
05-27-2020, 02:29 PM
What OceanSunfish says....that is the general approach (was) when fishing the Russian....generally very slow water. Loooong strips....but not as fast as striper strips....and not slow like bugs.
....lee s.

Jeff C.
05-27-2020, 04:45 PM
Wet waded again today. There were a handful of other anglers in the morning but they were all gone before noon. I left early before the peak heat but got into double digits. Flies that worked today were the Ronald McDonald, G3 soft hackle, Firecracker, and Too Sexy.

Jeff C.
05-28-2020, 04:10 PM
Fished this morning not knowing that the flow was going up. It did while I started to fish and the bite totally shut off. Got a handful before I moved to a couple other spots down river where I got another handful. I saw only a few anglers all day and one jet boat that didn't stay long. Today's flies that worked: Ronald McDonald, G3, Bloody Maria and an olive Bird's Nest.

BradW
05-29-2020, 10:03 AM
Wet waded all day yesterday, wound up getting 11, all on a Bloody Maria. It was great meeting Earl, thanks for the tips!

Jeff C.
05-29-2020, 05:32 PM
Floated today by myself. The bump in flow has helped and I got into double digits. 3 other boats (Ben and Happy with clients and Earle with people from work), and a few bankies. Used only two flies (Ronald and G3) and hooked the biggest hen of the week at my last stop.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-30-2020, 04:41 AM
What is the flow now?

Sounds like we need to get out there after work?

Jeff C.
05-30-2020, 08:26 AM
1750 cfs. I heard the evenings have been good!

Jeff C.
05-30-2020, 06:08 PM
Waded early today and it was slow for the first hour and a half. I didn’t even get a bump! Only a few anglers and there was no one around except for a gear guy below me (who didn’t hook anything) after 9 am. I stuck it out and got into double digits. Earle was a lifesaver and showed up with a lunch for me (pb&j, fruit and a Gatorade).

Today’s flies: Bloody Maria, Ronald McDonald, G3, and Firecracker.

Jeff C.
05-31-2020, 05:04 PM
Earle and I floated today and there a lot of boats and only a few bankies. It was slow so Earle and I had to work for it. We ended up with over 30. Flies: Ronald McDonald, Red Lipstick and G3. Lines: 200 grain sink tip, 300 grain sink tip, 30 ft T-11, and IShort with 15 ft Type 8 tip.

Jeff C.
06-01-2020, 07:21 PM
Wet waded mid-day and got into double digits. 1255 Anderson GFR with 425 grain IShort, 15 ft Type 6 sink tip and Ronald McDonald and G3. It’s going to be hot the next 3 days so get out early or late!

Jeff C.
06-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Ditto yesterday’s report but got out early and left by 1 pm. Also the Wet Pinky worked today. Here’s a summary of May 2020: Fished every day of the month and averaged 15 per day. Last year I averaged 28 per day but the flows were 8000 cfs and the water temp was 54 degrees. The lower flow and higher temps this year will probably result in the run ending before the end of this month. There’s lots of shad throughout the mid and upper river but they are not grabby.

winxp_man
06-03-2020, 12:58 AM
So decided to use one fly to see if it can be done. And a no leader swap. Ended up with 130 fish landed, and 4 knots in the leader and still fishable. I bent the hook back 6-7 times in the process. Fished the same setup for 5 days. Might retire the leader and fly and frame it! Hahaha!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-03-2020, 04:31 AM
Aron....that sound like the "One Fly Shad Challenge"?

I was in Missoula, Montana a few years back with CA transplant David Armocido, wade fishing the famous Rock Creek.

I used one dry fly all day, a #14 Royal Trude rubber legs, to land 67 nice wild trout.

Without David's guidance I would probably landed half that amount.

winxp_man
06-03-2020, 07:25 AM
Bill, we can call it that haha. The 8 lb Maxima Ultra Green leader sure is something else to!

Pvillarr
06-03-2020, 12:35 PM
So decided to use one fly to see if it can be done. And a no leader swap. Ended up with 130 fish landed, and 4 knots in the leader and still fishable. I bent the hook back 6-7 times in the process. Fished the same setup for 5 days. Might retire the leader and fly and frame it! Hahaha!

You and Jeff need to save some fish for the rest of us......jeez lol

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-03-2020, 01:52 PM
"90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fishermen."........sadly, I am not in the 10%.

In my lifetime I have fished with a handful of guys who are so much better than I am at fly fishing.

Joe Shirshac, Walt Bennett, Joe Patterson, George Innes, Chris Pasley, Hal Janssen, Al Perryman, Mike McCune, Craig Ziegler, Bob

Giannoni, Fred Gordon, Andy Guibord, David Armocido, Keith Kaneko, Jeff Putnam, Dave Howard, Jeff Ching, Kevin Doran, Charlie

Bisharat, Alan Barnard and Bob Quigley come to mind. I might think of a few more later........I am 75.

I fished with all of them and it was a treat every time.

A few of the American and Third World guides I fished with are in this group.

These are people who's life is fly fishing and I have learned some from them, but never enough.

I always know that when I fish with them they will do better than I do.

I think it is a special sense or a gift from the Fish God?

Jeff C.
06-03-2020, 07:49 PM
Got out early to beat the heat. It was one here and there all morning. Had lunch and then I found a bucket and got around 10-15 before they moved. Tried a bunch of flies today but the ones that hooked shad were: the Ronald McDonald, Firecracker, G3, Red Lipstick, Black Pearl and my Chameleon (which changes color depending on the viewing angle).

Chasin Fin
06-03-2020, 09:33 PM
Do you ever swing two flies at once?

Jeff C.
06-03-2020, 10:20 PM
I always did until recently. I just wanted to use single flies to see what they really want. With a 2 fly rig the dropper gets 90% of the hook ups.

EricO
06-04-2020, 07:52 AM

That's badass Aron. By all means, sign it, then frame the fly and leader!

Eric

Jeff C.
06-04-2020, 08:46 PM
Got out early before the sun got on the water. Got a handful right off the bat but when the sunlight hit the water it shutdown. For the next two hours I only had one grab. Stuck it out until mid-day and got into double digits. Today’s flies: Bloody Maria, Red Headlight, Ronald McDonald and G3.

BradW
06-05-2020, 08:52 AM
Fished all day yesterday going 10 for 12. All but one on a well loved Bloody Maria. Caught my smallest shad ever in the afternoon, it was only 8-10 inches. The fish I got in the evening were all really big and strong, especially the one I lost!

Pvillarr
06-05-2020, 01:22 PM
Over the past three outings, I have caught ~50-60 fish using an olive Fox's Poopah. It is definitely worth a try...

Drag Free Drift
06-05-2020, 03:00 PM
What size?

Pvillarr
06-05-2020, 03:23 PM
12, 14, and 16.

Jeff C.
06-05-2020, 05:27 PM
Almost 30 to the boat on a solo float in the mini today: The G3 was the work horse!

Jeff C.
06-06-2020, 05:26 PM
Fished early this morning and got into double digits while it was overcast. It was cold and windy (felt like steelhead weather) but the bite slowed down when the overcast cleared. Floated with a Earle this afternoon and we put 30 to the boat. Hot flies: Ronald McDonald and G3.

Jeff C.
06-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Floated with Earle today. The increase in flows to 2200 cfs this morning resulted in rearrangement of the shad. They should settle down in a day or two. We scratch out 25 to the boat in the gusty North wind. Hot flies were the G3 and Earle's new Cinnamon Pink.

Jeff C.
06-08-2020, 02:27 PM
Fished for several hours this morning and only got a handful. Very few anglers and I didn’t see anyone hook anything. The North wind was still blowing hard so I think that’s why the bite was off. Tomorrow’s another day!

Jeff C.
06-09-2020, 05:14 PM
Solo float today and got over 20. It feels like shad weather but the fishing wasn’t red hot. I had to work for the ones I landed. LDRed a bunch at first but fixed the problem by going to a smaller fly. The highlight of the day was when Ben Thompson drifted by with Melody and her grandfather and she was on the sticks!

Mark Kranhold
06-10-2020, 09:57 AM
Over the past three outings, I have caught ~50-60 fish using an olive Fox's Poopah. It is definitely worth a try...

That's all you need! Birdnests work well too!

Jeff C.
06-10-2020, 05:24 PM
Solo float again today. It was work but I ended up with over 30. One other boat this morning and a handful of wading fly fishermen. Didn’t see much catching. Got half of my fish up high and the other half at the last spot in an hour and a half. Hot flies: G3 and Earle’s CP (cinnamon pink).

Jeff C.
06-11-2020, 04:58 PM
Solo float again today. I was surprised but the number of boats (6 besides mine). Got into double digits considering the flow was bumped up to 2500 cfs at 7 am.

Saw only one person wading, Brad W.

Bill Quinn and friend were anchored below me and they out fished me 2:1.

The Fire Dept rescue boat tore up river in the afternoon and came back down in a hurry doing chest compressions on someone. I hope he/she made it!

PV_Premier
06-12-2020, 07:42 PM
What’s the running total this year?

Jeff C.
06-12-2020, 08:01 PM
Just passed the 700 mark today. Took the mini out for a short float mid-day. It was definitely not shad weather with cool temps, wind and overcast. Got into double digits but they were scattered all over the place. One other boat and a kayak in the area I fished along with one wading angler. Only saw one other shad landed (by the boater).

Jeff C.
06-12-2020, 10:33 PM
FYI, Joe Vasquez had his SUV and drift boat trailer stolen from Rossmoor this evening.

Pvillarr
06-12-2020, 10:49 PM
FYI, Joe Vasquez had his SUV and drift boat trailer stolen from Rossmoor this evening.

That is horrible!

STEELIES/26c3
06-13-2020, 01:01 PM

That sucks! Joe is such a nice guy. Wee hardly know each other and yet he has always been friendly with me (a gear guy, lol) on the river.

He has even offered me cold water on hot summer days in years past.

I hope his property is recovered and the thieves are prosecuted but C'mon man, this is KALIFORNISTAN...

BradW
06-13-2020, 01:27 PM
Fished Thursday, starting out at a spot with a number of boats including Jeff Ching in his mini drifter. At his suggestion I worked my way down the run, going up to T14, but without any luck even though there were shad at my feet at one point.

After lunch I moved up river and fished a run that had been productive for the last couple of weeks but got nothing during the afternoon. So I moved down a bit to the main run without success so kept on going. Finally at the end of the run, at a drop off I started catching. Don't know whether it was the location or that it was now 5 o'clock. Anyone else experience the bite turning on about then? I was getting them in the flat just before the drop off and just into the drop off.

Got 11 there between 5 and 6:30 or so, then went back to the car for a sandwich. When I got back out it was very crowded and of course my spot was taken. So I wedged my self into the crowd for a few minutes without success and then went upstream to where I had met Earl a couple of weeks ago. Fished there until dark, getting 2, the last one on my version of a Ronald McDonald. All the rest were on Bloody Maria's.

Over the course of the season I caught about 40 fish, 1 day a week for 4 weeks, catching all but a handful on Bloody Maria's, with 2 or 3 on a 4th of July, 1 on a Tequila Sunrise and 1 on a Ronald McDonald.

Jeff C.
06-13-2020, 11:14 PM
Earle and I floated this afternoon. It was very slow and the shad were scattered all over the place probably due to the bump in flow to 2,750 cfs overnight. It was work by we got over 30 to the boat. I personally think the run is on a quick down slope and will be gone overnight within a couple of weeks. There was hardly anyone fishing to show how slow it’s been and we were the only boat. We saw only one other shad hooked by other anglers.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-14-2020, 12:05 AM
After the Shad are gone I think it will be Striper time for several months.

lee s.
06-14-2020, 07:35 AM
Jeff,
I don't know if it means anything, but we are still getting fish at Verona. Not 100 fish days but 20 fish evenings are still available.
.....lee s.

Jeff C.
06-14-2020, 08:54 AM
Hi Lee, Glad you are still getting them at Verona. I’m not sure what this run is going to do on the American over the next couple of weeks but I’m going to keep fishing for them until they are gone.

Jeff C.
06-14-2020, 04:43 PM
Floated with Earle today and although it was a lot of work we got almost 30 to the boat. There was a jet boat, another drift boat and 6 wading fly anglers. We didn’t see them land any! Hits flies: Ronald McDonald and G3.

Pvillarr
06-14-2020, 04:54 PM
Floated with Earle today and although it was a lot of work we got almost 30 to the boat. There was a jet boat, another drift boat and 6 wading fly anglers. We didn’t see them land any! Hits flies: Ronald McDonald and G3.

Hey Jeff. What is your tip setup with the higher flows?

Jeff C.
06-14-2020, 06:44 PM
From a drift boat I use 30 ft of T-8 or T-11. Wading I use 15 ft Type 6 or 8 with a IShort head.

rjt
06-15-2020, 11:59 AM
How long does the run typically last? first year really fishing it and had a blast.

Jeff C.
06-15-2020, 04:33 PM
Typical runs go into the first or second week of July but this year I think they will be gone before June is over.

Jeff C.
06-15-2020, 06:18 PM
Solo float today. There were four other drift boats at the start but they were all gone before lunch. It was red hot when I started fishing getting a dozen in about an hour but then it went dead. Rowed back up and repositioned and got to 20 by lunch. Got a few more after lunch and then it shutdown again. Headed down river and found a little bucket. Ended up with just about 30 for the day. Used only one fly and one line: Ronald McDonald and 30 ft of T-11. Lots of small males which indicates we near the end of the run.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-15-2020, 07:32 PM
Past employee Brett Humphies went out with Captain Andy Guibord today.

Brett said they got some Stripers.

PV_Premier
06-16-2020, 06:34 PM

Unreal but wish I could say I was surprised. The American is a nightmare, particularly that area.

Jeff C.
06-16-2020, 08:05 PM
Solo float again today. It was very slow but I got into double digits. Not many boats or anglers and I didn’t see any catching. G3 and 3O ft of T-11.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-17-2020, 06:48 AM
Jeff, What is "G3" mean ?

Jeff C.
06-17-2020, 07:27 AM

It’s a steelhead soft hackle fly.

Jeff C.
06-17-2020, 05:39 PM
Couldn’t fish this morning so I took the mini out for a short float this afternoon in the wind and heat. Got into double digits in a few hours. I was the only one fishing as far as I could see in both directions. Earle told me that the upper river was very crowded last night (16 anglers and 3 boats in a short stretch of river). Same fly and line as yesterday worked for me.

Jeff C.
06-18-2020, 04:06 PM
Floated today and it’s definitely slowing down. I only got 2 in the upper section. I saw pods of shad but you couldn’t fish it because of the bankies lobbing bobber grenades. Headed down river with my tail between my legs thinking I was going to only get a few. Found a hole that had some shad scattered through out it and got into double digits. I’m sure there’s still shad in the upper section but it’s late run antics (lockjaw during the day but grabby during the last hour of light). Get it while you can because I don’t thing they will be around in a week or so.

Jeff C.
06-19-2020, 05:47 PM
Went for a short float this morning before it got too hot. Met Fred who was anchored below me. He was using a floating line and when he switched to a heavy sinking line he hooked one on his first cast. I ended up getting into double digits before it shutdown mid-day. It’s really slowing down but you can still get a few if you know where to look..

Jeff C.
06-20-2020, 07:59 PM
Got out at sunrise in the mini and got over 20 using the G3 and 30 ft of T-8 and a 15 ft Type 8 sink tip. Went back out this afternoon with a Earle in his boat and we only got a handful. We didn’t stay until the last hour of light.

LE0
06-21-2020, 02:00 PM
Reading over the reports from the last few years, I see Ronald Mcdonald and Red Headlight flies are good ones to throw (in addition to the beloved Bloody Maria which is my favorite). I pounded Internet Posts & YouTube for recipes with no luck. Anyone know if it has been shared somewhere? If not I understand. These could be personal and kept close to the chest.

Jeff C.
06-21-2020, 06:48 PM
The Ronald McDonald is Earle Sloan’s fly. It’s a Maria style fly with a yellow floss body, red wire rib and red thread head. The Red Headlight is my fly. It’s a Maria style fly with white floss body with a UV minnow belly overwrap and a red glass bead.

Jeff C.
06-21-2020, 07:09 PM
Earle and I did a short float mid-day and we got over 20 to the boat. It wasn’t red hot but we did work. Hot flies: G3, Ronald McDonald.

LE0
06-22-2020, 03:19 AM
The Ronald McDonald is Earle Sloan’s fly. It’s a Maria style fly with a yellow floss body, red wire rib and red thread head. The Red Headlight is my fly. It’s a Maria style fly with white floss body with a UV minnow belly overwrap and a red glass bead.

Outstanding thanks. I will go to Kiene's to get all the material.

Jeff C.
06-22-2020, 05:49 PM
Took the mini out early this morning for a short float. Got almost 20 before it did the mid-day shutdown. Lots of small males and spent or half-spent hens so the end is near.

Jeff C.
06-23-2020, 07:36 PM
Fished early in the mini. The increase in flow to 3K cfs caused them to be not very grabby. Only got a handful and packed it in casting for stripers on the way back to the boat ramp. Went wading midday and got one swinging a Type 6 tip.

Pvillarr
06-24-2020, 02:02 PM
Fished early in the mini. The increase in flow to 3K cfs caused them to be not very grabby. Only got a handful and packed in casting for stripers on the way back to the boat ramp. Went wading midday and got one swinging a Type 6 tip.

Hopefully, that was due to the high flows. I would like to think that we still have a few days left before the Shad mass exit back to the ocean.

Jeff C.
06-24-2020, 02:25 PM
Went out early this morning with Greg in his Super Drifter. We got into some before the bite shut off at 9 am. Wet waded midday and got a couple and a 5-6 lb sucker that came in like a boot. I expect the run will be over within a week. There were only of couple other boats and a few shore anglers.

LE0
06-24-2020, 05:58 PM
I would like to give Special thanks to Jeff C for the all the reports and sharing the flies!

I just put up a nice shad report for these past 2 weeks in "Not Jeff's Shad Reports" that highlighted all our success we had
with his flies.

And thanks Kiene's Fly Shop for being the hub of our Local Shad fishing. I spent hundreds there this year as you had what we needed!

Until next year.

Jeff C.
06-25-2020, 05:37 PM
Took the mini out early and got a dozen or so at the same hole Greg and I fished yesterday. It was not as good as yesterday and I had to move around to find them. Only one other boat this morning, Bill Quinn on his last shad float of this run. Wet waded midday and didn’t get a single bump. The end is near!

OceanSunfish
06-25-2020, 06:52 PM
Took the mini out early and got a dozen or so at the same hole Greg and I fished yesterday. It was not as good as yesterday and I had to move around to find them. Only one other boat this morning, Bill Quinn on his last shad float of this run. Wet waded midday and didn’t get a single bump. The end is near!

Normally this would be the peak week with only a slight drop off by the 4th of July. Super low flow early in the season didn't help.

Quinnphoto
06-26-2020, 09:55 AM
Hey Jeff thanks for all your generous intel throughout the season. I always check your insights and reports before I ever hit the water. My last float was yesterday as we passed you and said our good mornings and wishful good lucks. You are the shad whisperer, the shad master, the shad guru. My friend and I eyed only 12 fish in the whole of our trip. You caught half the shad left in the upper river. They are few and far apart. We zeroed after trying nine different locations. I’m done for the year. You probably can go for a long time as you know where they like to meet:) Best of fishing and thanks again Jeff.

Jeff C.
06-26-2020, 07:41 PM
Looks like this is my last update for this run. Floated the upper river for 6 hours and only got one (a fresh hen full of eggs). Like Bill I got blanked at all of the usual spots that have produced. Andy told me that shad stage in areas they don’t normally frequent when they ball up before heading out. There are still shad around but not for long. Here’s a summary of this years run: Fished 57 days straight averaging about 16 per day (almost 900 total). Last year I fished 79 days averaging 36 per day for over 2800 total. Shows you what big river flows will give you. It’s too bad that the flow will be going up to 3500 cfs Sunday morning. I’ll post an update if it turns on again or if I find a ball of down runners .

BradW
06-26-2020, 10:06 PM
Jeff, yes thanks for all the updates. I come from the bay area and I use your reports to let me know when I might catch a few. Would you share which flies were the top producers this year? I caught 95% of mine on your Bloody Maria. Of course it's the one I fish most often as well.

Jeff C.
06-26-2020, 10:56 PM
The hottest fly for me was the G3 which started out as a steelhead soft hackle but I’ve tweaked it to a shad fly.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-27-2020, 06:24 AM
Wonderful Jeff.....thanks for another great Shad season report.

During the 57 days did you catch any other species?

What do you have planned for the next few months?

Jeff C.
06-27-2020, 07:11 AM
Suckers and pike minnow. I’m going to primarily target summer run steelhead and occasionally stripers.

BradW
06-27-2020, 12:53 PM
The hottest fly for me was the G3 which started out as a steelhead soft hackle but I’ve tweaked it to a shad fly.

Thanks, I'll try to remember to tie something similar for next year!

hwchubb
07-01-2020, 09:46 PM
This was the earliest I’ve ever caught a shad at Sailor Bar (May 3) and far and away the earliest end I’ve seen in 30+ years. Bluebacks, and some nice ones, stayed later as well. I only got one (1) shad on the surface, and saw almost no surface activity. But then, I didn’t get out as often or cover as much Water this year thanks to a combination of COVID and homeless camps. Anybody else see much surface action this year?

Pvillarr
07-03-2020, 09:28 AM
This was the earliest I’ve ever caught a shad at Sailor Bar (May 3) and far and away the earliest end I’ve seen in 30+ years. Bluebacks, and some nice ones, stayed later as well. I only got one (1) shad on the surface, and saw almost no surface activity. But then, I didn’t get out as often or cover as much Water this year thanks to a combination of COVID and homeless camps. Anybody else see much surface action this year?

I saw some surface action but I believe it was mainly for emergers.

Jeff C.
07-30-2020, 06:56 AM
At the end of June I thought it was over but I did find a couple of holes during this month where they were schooled up. Fished 22 days during July from my boat or Earle's and averaged over 20 per day. Hot flies were the G3 and Earle's Cinnamon Pinkie. They finally left overnight this past weekend so I'm officially calling it for this run. I fished 81 days and landed almost 1350. I'm already looking forward to next year. Let's hope we get some big water!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-30-2020, 07:24 AM
We are so lucky to have the beautiful clear Lower American river flowing right through of city.

We get American Shad, Steelhead and Striped Bass for the most part.

Only in the last 20 years or so did people float the river. Before that we hardly ever saw any type of boats on it.

Thanks to Jeff and others who posted on this special annual Shad run report.