PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the biggest things to come along in fly fishing world?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2020, 05:13 AM
Some of the biggest things to come along in fly fishing in the past decades are:

Graphite fly rods

Breathable waders and raincoats

Lifetime warranty of fly rods

Indicators/bobbers

Stripers on a fly

Spey/Two handed fishing............it is huge.

What else?

mike borba
03-20-2020, 12:02 PM
I would say the expansion of species specific gear. The rods, lines, and flies used for specific species of fish had made it easier to fish for them.

mike borba
03-20-2020, 12:06 PM
Oh yeah, and forums too!

hwchubb
03-20-2020, 01:50 PM
I would say the internet in general. From shopping to educational videos to (for better or worse) where to go to connecting with others around the world that share your passion (for me, knowing there are others who love chasing carp and dry lining steelhead, for example), it has changed everything. It’s not all good, but not all bad either. I wish there were a few more videos on etiquette and ethics, but those that need it probably wouldn’t watch...

Larry S
03-20-2020, 04:08 PM
Bill,
Here's my two cents: 4-piece rods.
I think that revolutionized fly-fishing
travel.
Stay safe and best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-21-2020, 05:11 PM
Yes, the Internet, the PC, the Smart Phone, Forums and especially YouTube.

50 years ago we all had only 2 piece tubular hollow fiberglass fly rods that we loved and enjoyed.

Then some had a 3 or 4 or 5 piece fiberglass "pack rod" that was clunky and only used for back packing.

Today many fly rods only come in 4 piece.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-21-2020, 05:15 PM
I would say the expansion of species specific gear. The rods, lines, and flies used for specific species of fish had made it easier to fish for them.

Good one Mike....we have lots of specialty rods and lines and flies now.

Smitty Fish
03-21-2020, 06:05 PM
Skagit heads , triple density lines .

Troutsource
03-23-2020, 07:00 PM
New (synthetic) fly-tying materials.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-24-2020, 06:10 AM
New (synthetic) fly-tying materials.

Excellent TS......

In the 1970s when I started working in the sporing goods business almost all the tying materials were natural.

Back then we didn't even have blended natural fur dubbing........we sold those little coffee bean grinders to blend fur.

tcorfey
03-24-2020, 07:51 AM
Inflatables, kick boats, pontoons, sup, etc.. also European nymphing and Tenkara.

John Sv
03-24-2020, 08:59 AM
I think it is that a lot of trout fisheries have improved since the '80s.

Jcolin
03-24-2020, 09:51 AM
John sv +1.

I'll be 30 next year and some of the fisheries that my dad took my brother and I fly fishing when we were little kids are undoubtedly fishing better now, the Truckee comes to mind...going back to the 80s obviously I wasn't around but from talking to older anglers it is heartening to hear that about some rivers. While the narrative on steelhead fisheries is generally the opposite and rather bleak, the Russian and Eel rivers are both an exception. Both rivers had winter SH runs that were close to obliterated by the time I was born while they are nowhere close to what they once were, nor will they ever be, there has undeniably been huge improvement in my lifetime. Of course on the Russian, hatcheries played a big part but not so on the eel. 80% of the adult winter fish I've landed on the Russian have been wild fish and, while just anecdotal, this winter I've seen and heard about more wild fish being caught and released than any other season I've fished, despite poor numbers at the hatchery this year. Point I'm making is that, despite all the doom and gloom that is so easy to fall into, things like barbless hooks, C&R, education on fish handling, fighting for flows that can allow young fish to have a chance etc have all had a noticeable impact on at least some of our rivers in our state.

yubaman
03-28-2020, 06:03 PM
And let us not forget a most important one . . . very good IPA's!