PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok / responsible to take a Cal trip right now?

steveg137
03-19-2020, 05:54 PM
I'm not planning a trip right now but can one social distance responsibly fishing when I'd have to drive up and camp?

I think so but not sure, what do you think?

Practically speaking imagine motels and campgrounds May be closed?

Appreciate others views on this.

Steve

yubaman
03-19-2020, 06:46 PM
I would not see the problem. Bring your hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, etc. I would wipe down handles, door knobs, phones, night stands . . . anything your hands would be touching. Who knows who was in that hotel room last. Better safe than sorry. I doubt hotels/ motels would be closed.

And lastly, you now have your excuse for a couple of tugs of Jameson before nodding off . . . you know you can never be too safe?:cool:

Bob

steveg137
03-19-2020, 07:55 PM
Sage advice Bob cheers

hwchubb
03-19-2020, 10:51 PM
I agree completely, Bob. I would assume most level heads would, if they were in charge.

Idadon
03-20-2020, 06:15 AM
You might want to check with your governor! He ordered all California residents to shelter in. Something about a $1,000 fine for violating the order.

On a personal note, the wife and I are stuck sitting down here in South Texas and need to get back to Idaho Falls at some point this spring. We usually take 5-7 days for the trip, stopping to eat and overnight in parks. This time it’s a hard run only stopping to get diesel. We’re towing our “Small Idaho RV” so that’s our eatery and restroom and maybe a short nap. No close contact for us on this trip.

On a happier note the fishing here in our stretch of saltwater is improving daily as the temps go up. Personally I’d stay here till June but it gets awful HOT & HUMID by then.

steveg137
03-20-2020, 07:01 AM
Yes given the order has been extended to Cal a trip may not be feasible

Lew Riffle
03-20-2020, 08:46 AM
In a word NO. There are going to be people out there doing unadvised things. I would hope that the fly fishing community can be a part of larger thinking than worrying about going fishing right now. Frigin stay at home and don't mix with others as much as you can. We don't need everyone sick all at once. What is going to go down in the next week is dire. How bad it is going to be lessened by us being cooperative and supportive in an intelligent and selfless way.

steveg137
03-20-2020, 12:36 PM
So the guidance that hiking and walking is "ok" assuming social distancing does not apply?

Or the inference is that while some walks are ok generally the more people stay in the better? As the more people out generally makes transfer more likely even with distancing?

Scott V
03-20-2020, 01:09 PM
They closed Lake Camanche today, I can't even go through the gates to the lake. I didn't think that would happen, but it has.

Troutsource
03-20-2020, 01:11 PM
"Essential activity"

Deemed necessary for life. For mental health.

JasonB
03-20-2020, 02:41 PM
"Essential activity"

No joke really. Keeping our collective sanity is a pretty important deal right now. I would think that a lot of outdoor activities could be done in a comparatively safe manner. If it were me in charge, I would be putting a good bit of thought into what sorts of activities could still be ok, or what minor changes to others could make them substantially safer. Of course my phone has not yet begun to ring with requests for my suggestions on how to handle a pandemic... thankfully!

I think one of the big concerns is probably just wanting to reduce the number of people out driving around. Given that statically that is still far more likely to result in a visit to the hospital than most other things we do, I can see some logic to trying to cut down on that as much as possible for now. Let’s just hope that a) we don’t have too many more restrictions, and b) that we can keep a lid on this better than Italy, and c) that these restrictions can be eased as soon as possible!

steveg137
03-20-2020, 03:09 PM
Yes that's my take too.

Worried that the more people go out the less social distancing takes place generally.

Dave E.
03-20-2020, 03:17 PM
The state parks have closed their campgrounds: https://www.parks.ca.gov/

NPS Public Health Updates:
https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/news/public-health-update.htm

Mark Stinson
03-20-2020, 06:34 PM
I don’t think fishing is any different than hiking, walking, running, playing golf, etc. I wouldn’t have any hesitation to go to a river or steam and fish. As long as the appropriate “social distancing” is observed, it is as responsible as any of the other named activities.

Rich Morrison
03-20-2020, 06:35 PM
If you’re in San Fran you’d be a lot better off in the woods with a rod in your hand. It’s all getting to be a bit much. Forest service is still open for business - just checked the Lassen National Forest and most of those are showing open.

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Israeli-nobel-laureate-Coronavirus-spread-is-slowing-621145

NCL
03-21-2020, 06:49 AM
In response to the original question it probably depends on the distance you plan to travel if it is a short distance and camping is isolated, although with the camp grounds closed that may problematic. The important thing is to limit contact with others. so if no gas stops, food stops or other interaction then maybe. Just read the WHO is saying the outbreak in Italy an Spain is bad because they did not take the virus serious until it was to late. To all stay safe.

JasonB
03-21-2020, 07:25 AM
As I was mentioning earlier, it’s not just social distancing that’s of concern. It is also of urgent importance that we do not add any more burden to our hospitals right now. That’s the problem in Italy, they became overwhelmed by the large surge in numbers. Our own heath care facilities are better prepared, but there are also some very serious shortages in terms of dealing with the expected number of people who will need hospitalization in the next couple of weeks. Especially concerning is the lack of PPE, and the increased likelihood that doctors and nurses will contract the virus; meaning less staff on hand when needed, as well as concern that staff will be inadvertently infecting other patients. I have a close friend who works as an emergency room doctor who is usually a very optimistic sort, and not the kind of guy who buckled under stress or pressure, and he was very clear in his conversation with me the other day that it’s a very bad time to “slip on a banana peel” (or have a car accident, etc).

We are all going to need to get out for some things, and I’m certainly going to “need” a bit of time in the river for my own mental health and well being. I think the point is to minimize every risk you take as much as humanly possible, and stay out of the hospitals for the coming weeks/months. Definitely a good time to drive a lot less, and drive a lot slower!
JB

Dave E.
03-21-2020, 10:13 AM
Jason makes some very good points. If you live near a state park that's still open for hiking, etc, then sure go ahead, but road trips really should be curtailed. Have you riden in a tow truck, even road side assistance isn't what it used to be.

I live within walking distance of the Kern, trust me, there are a lot of people in the areas that are not yet closed. Kids of all ages are out of school and parents don't know what to do with them, so in many areas, it more congested than normal and most haven't a clue what six feet is. I've never seen more dog crap in public areas / trailheads etc. than I'm seeing now.
Others are there for the very reason that some of you feel the need to run for the hills and you know anglers, they talk about solitude but don't often practice it when they spy another angler, even in light of the current order.

So I choose, largely due to my age and because my wife is a clinician at a local med center to keep my distance and then some, by hiking alone in the open range adjacent to our home.

From a purely selfish perspective, I'd ask everyone to think about how dumb it would be at this point in time to turn up at a hospital emergency room with a fishing related injury, from broken ankles to a hook through an ear. My wifes team has been going seven days a week from the onset. If you have ears, you've heard how stretched supplies are. You don't know who else won't use there heads and stay in or around their homes, practicing social distancing. So when you show up at the screening / triage tent, you have no way of knowing what you'll come in contact with.

I know some angling guru's are still advocating fishng related travel, they'll likely continue to do so, until covid-19 takes someone they love.

Use your heads people, there will be many years of fishing to come.
I say this with great admiration for this group, stay well guys and gals.

BobK
03-21-2020, 12:53 PM
I just got back from the river., Pretty good morning. Campgrounds are closed and very few vehicles out there except at Pleasant Valley reservoir. I see no problems where I go but I avoid people even in normal times. What's the difference between walking for exercise and walking and wading for exercise. You still have to go to the store once in a while and that puts you at a lot more risk than fly fishing., BobK

steveg137
03-21-2020, 01:05 PM
Appreciate all the responses.

Given I'm on sf and would involve long ish drive away from family I'm not planning any trips until restrictions are lifted.

That said I can understand people closer to water who plan to get out - albeit per above there's some risk involved in that from broader perspective. Same risk as hiking I suppose.

That said feels like the time to delay short term gratification where possible.

Crazy times.

Stay safe all.

Meantime just ordered some next boxes from Kienes to organize flies and plan to finally do some tying at home between trying to work and home day care.

Steve

PV_Premier
03-21-2020, 08:02 PM
The answer is technically no. Is any logical judge going to prosecute one for this, also no.

I fished yesterday. I’ll do it again tomorrow. There are more people on the Jed Smith trail biking and walking than there are out fishing.

TyV
03-21-2020, 10:49 PM
So...Some really great points here. I would mention that for the first time in over a week, we took out kids up and into a creek and found solitude for a few hours today. On the way there...we saw turnout after turnout over run with hikers and mountain bikers. I don't agree that fishing isn't allowed right now as some have said. I will be fishing and getting out throughout. TBH, the only thing that has kept me from losing my shit before all of this, was outside time...and needing a lot more of it not less. We saw 1 person for 10 seconds from a distance today where we went. Cringed at all the people at the pull outs and trail heads...not 6 feet apart and walking within a foot of each other on trails. Look, the bottom line for me is be safe and smart. Too many are not. Fishing...is about my very last concern if you aren't interacting with others. The staying out of hospitals is crucial...so can't argue that at all.

Stay safe and sane folks

gitt
03-21-2020, 11:49 PM
We decided to sneak over to the San Jose airport for a direct flight to Kona last week. There were no lines at TSA. There were only 14 passengers on our flight. I have never experienced baggage claim as I have here with no one on the flight. The island is just starting lock down. Sheltering in place in paradise is fairly easy. Drove to Volcano NP, then Hilo. Blue masks are the fashion statement for those who have access. Hawaii begins quarantining new arrivals for two weeks beginning next Thursday. Right now, we are trying to decide whether to stay an extra week or fly home. Stores are open with plenty of toilet paper. There is absolutely no traffic. Timing is everything. Yeah, it is not fishing, but there will be time for that later.

Siskiyoublues
03-22-2020, 10:17 AM
We decided to sneak over to the San Jose airport for a direct flight to Kona last week. There were no lines at TSA. There were only 14 passengers on our flight. I have never experienced baggage claim as I have here with no one on the flight. The island is just starting lock down. Sheltering in place in paradise is fairly easy. Drove to Volcano NP, then Hilo. Blue masks are the fashion statement for those who have access. Hawaii begins quarantining new arrivals for two weeks beginning next Thursday. Right now, we are trying to decide whether to stay an extra week or fly home. Stores are open with plenty of toilet paper. There is absolutely no traffic. Timing is everything. Yeah, it is not fishing, but there will be time for that later.

Isn't this behavior a huge part of the problem right now?!

JasonB
03-22-2020, 12:18 PM
Isn't this behavior a huge part of the problem right now?!

“No one raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood” comes to mind. In all fairness, I think the line of appropriate social responsibility has been changing fast, and most of us are struggling a bit to adjust to it; what might have seemed ok one week ago is very different from what’s responsible today... and of course there are big questions about what will be considered responsible by the end of the week. The Italians didn’t fully come to grips with initial orders early enough, and it has substantially exacerbated the problems there; I certainly hope we are smart enough to learn from their mistakes... they currently have military now deployed to enforce lockdown measures!

So far I think a lot of people are having a very hard time coming to grips with the seriousness of the situation (it’s sure thrown me for a loop!). If we don’t all do our part right now, the potential for much worse is very real (possibly even more draconian measures from government as well). My wife and have been gradually taking more and more precautions, and forgoing more and more in order to do what we can to reduce the size and scope of the impact. It sucks! On the other hand, I need to know on the other end of this that I did everything I could. I think most of those cavalier spring break partygoers are going to have a very heavy weight on their conscience down the road, something I certainly wouldn’t want to live with. The only fishing I will being doing for the foreseeable future will be stuff very close to home (most will be less than a 10 minute drive), and will only be done solo and at off times. I’m lucky to have access to a small pond within walking distance, so if nothing else I may spend a lot of time with my 3wt chasing Bluegill...

cmcdhuibh
03-22-2020, 12:30 PM
RMNP is closed here in Colorado. This Protects the people who work and volunteer in the park by not being in contact with visitors. All the restaurants bars are ether closed or pickup only in Estes Park. Looks like another storm coming in.
Vail ( Eagle county) was hit hard by the virus from people coming in from other country’s (Australia) going skiing. So all ski areas are closed now. Steamboat had over 300 inches of snow, so they will loose a lot of money closing early.

John H
03-22-2020, 12:45 PM
You are very right that standards for behavior are changing rapidly. I get iced tea in the morning and Tuesday the place was not very busy, Wednesday they were take out only and Thursday they were closed by government order. So far the most uncomfortable experience is the grocery store. It is impossible to stay 6 feet from other people and everyone seems uncomfortable. Some people want a lot of space and look at you like you are a leper as move toward them and some people don’t care and pass right by without concern. Everyone’s standards are a little different.

I am fishing tomorrow. I am going solo plus dog and other than a donut stop I will not have close contact with anyone.

Until then I need to get some homebrew kegged up and carbonated so supplies of beer are adequate when I get back from fishing.

cmcdhuibh
03-22-2020, 01:13 PM
This little town only has one grocery (Safeway) it’s small and packed most of the time. Estes gets millions of people traveling through, though not as much in the winter. You are right, it’s uncomfortable at best. Their is a large population of elderly here. The retirement homes and assisted living areas are locked down completely. I asked my mom if they got a inmate # tattooed on her arm. It bugs me I can’t visit but I wouldn’t want to be the carrier.

Troutsource
03-23-2020, 08:12 AM
After carefully weighing all factors for about 10 seconds I went fishing Saturday on the American (20 minutes from home) and was rewarded with two 18/19-inch fish. Best day ever size-wise (excluding the winter run).

Larry S
03-23-2020, 01:57 PM
JasonB,
Spot on about so much. Perhaps the biggest problem with the Italian situation is a population of
60 million in a country about the size of Arizona. That should stress the critical importance
of proper "social distancing."
Stay smart and stay safe Kiene members!
Larry S
Sun Diego

Rich Morrison
03-24-2020, 03:45 PM
Was just looking at the CDC data for H1N1. In the year after April of 09 when it became a pandemic there were approximately 12,500 deaths in the US due to this virus. Worldwide the CDC estimate was 151,000 to 565,000 deaths worldwide(?!?!). Hell the stats on CDC say H1N1 has killed 75,000 Americans in the last 9 years! So far corona virus has killed 685 in the US and 18,000+ world wide. In what, 3 months? Why have we all lost out shit this time? We are crippling this country and ruining lives and livelihoods. I don’t get it. This whole thing is a media concocted frenzy and all everyone in charge is worried about is if they don’t act they’ll be ostracized on Twitter. That’s what’s happening.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/burden-of-h1n1.html

JasonB
03-24-2020, 04:57 PM
There are a few factors why health experts are concerned, for one thing the mortality rate of H1N1 was substantially lower, it was also not as highly contagious. Here’s just one article offering a few comparisons between the two:

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-pandemic-vs-swine-flu.html

If you don’t see why there is such concern, I’d suggest that there’s lots of good information out there to understand better what some of the bigger issues are, and why health experts are taking this so seriously. No, there’s no cause for full on panic, but the notion that this is no bigger threat than other recent outbreaks is dangerously incorrect.

TyV
03-24-2020, 10:15 PM
I saw this linked post on Instagram and thought it summed up the situation and all that goes into it very well for fishing...Highly recommended scroll through this post. Thought provoking and covers most all considerations we all need to have right now. Each of us and our situations are unique...take a minute. I promise it's worth it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-JEYWJHcTo/?igshid=4j5ulappbowq

Rich Morrison
03-25-2020, 04:45 AM
We have zero actual idea what the mortality and transmission rates are like. So many who get/have it/have had it don’t show any symptoms. And how what percentages of possible infections have actually been tested? Population density in places like Italy and China are far higher than the US. The median age is also quite different. There are so many factors that go into something like this and the media are selecting which to focus on and they are not the correct ones, they are the most sensational. I’m not saying it’s not a threat - it is. But the reaction is not proportional...its media driven.

JasonB
03-25-2020, 07:50 AM
Rich, it’s true that there are lots of big questions still. I think we do have some pretty good estimates though on things like mortality rate, and those numbers aren’t being media generated. These data are coming from mostly the CDC, NIH, NIAID,WHO, etc; how media has reported on that data has been variable ... but the information is there to be had. The 2% mortality rate is suspected to be on the high side, due to the unknown numbers of people infected, but experts on the front line such Dr. Anthony Fauci have suggested that 1% would be a bottom level estimate (still 50 times higher mortality rate than H1N1).
As far as transmission rates, the fact that there has been so little testing here, the long incubation period, and the larger numbers of mild symptoms or asymptotic cases, all combine to make this particular virus extremely difficult to contain. Those reasons are central in the cause for concern. This concern isn’t coming from news media; it’s coming from every medical expert in the world who is involved in fighting the pandemic. Many health experts have been saying that we haven’t done enough fast enough, and that one of the big problems has been the number of people not taking this serious enough. Judging by the information we do have, I’m inclined to agree with that assessment 100%!

Rich Morrison
03-25-2020, 08:28 AM
Rich, it’s true that there are lots of big questions still. I think we do have some pretty good estimates though on things like mortality rate, and those numbers aren’t being media generated. These data are coming from mostly the CDC, NIH, NIAID,WHO, etc; how media has reported on that data has been variable ... but the information is there to be had. The 2% mortality rate is suspected to be on the high side, due to the unknown numbers of people infected, but experts on the front line such Dr. Anthony Fauci have suggested that 1% would be a bottom level estimate (still 50 times higher mortality rate than H1N1).
As far as transmission rates, the fact that there has been so little testing here, the long incubation period, and the larger numbers of mild symptoms or asymptotic cases, all combine to make this particular virus extremely difficult to contain. Those reasons are central in the cause for concern. This concern isn’t coming from news media; it’s coming from every medical expert in the world who is involved in fighting the pandemic. Many health experts have been saying that we haven’t done enough fast enough, and that one of the big problems has been the number of people not taking this serious enough. Judging by the information we do have, I’m inclined to agree with that assessment 100%!

I’ve seen a couple of medical sources put the rate at .1%, not 1. Still a high number but not this level of freak out high. Heck the suicide rate this economic and panic damage will cause may outpace the virus.

ryeflyguy
03-25-2020, 10:19 AM
As of this morning John Hopkins University reports 55,243 confirmed coronavirus infections in the U.S., with more than 800 deaths. 1.45%.

JasonB
03-25-2020, 12:04 PM
As of this morning John Hopkins University reports 55,243 confirmed coronavirus infections in the U.S., with more than 800 deaths. 1.45%.

Of course there would be some lag to account for, those are the fatalities of patients who contracted the disease as much as a week or so in the past. Of course that doesn’t take into account the number of unconfirmed cases, which we know is a considerable variable. I have not heard or read any estimates lower than 1% so far, and it’s important to also note that in Italy it’s currently running at 10% mortality rate! The huge variable in all of this, and the main reason medical professionals are so concerned, is the limited amount of medical resources to care for the ill. Mortality rates will skyrocket if we do not have the capacity to provide sufficient hospital care, which by current trajectories is mathematically very possible.

Mark Stinson
03-25-2020, 08:56 PM

Almost all of the data in the news including the data from from medical experts are guesses. We don’t know the number of people infected; therefore, we cannot calculate the fatality rate. The best data we have is from the Diamond Princess cruise ship. We can extrapolate from that but even then we are making a lot of assumptions. The basics are in the article below. Unfortunately, the article does not include some important data such as the mean and median ages of the ship’s population. In this case, I would assume that the ship population’s average age is older than the average in most areas. Thus, from what we know about this virus being more deadly for people who are older, the actual fatality rate of the virus should be lower than the rate of the ship’s population.

WHO and other organizations that published rates of fatalities based on deaths from “known cases” without explaining that the percentage they reported was far higher than the fatality rate that was actually occurring have done a terrible disservice. Even this week in the US, most people who report symptoms in-line with those caused by the virus are told to go home and stay in isolation. Unless they are experiencing severe symptoms or are in a high risk category, they are not tested. It is probable that some, perhaps many, of these people actually have the virus but unless their health deteriorates, they will never know and they won’t be counted as having been infected in any fatality rate statistics. In contrast, we have many decades of research on influenza viruses, so our data is better.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-outbreak-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-death-rate

ryeflyguy
03-26-2020, 08:33 AM
All valid points by JasonB and Mark. What we know for sure is that there has been a dearth and a lag in testing so the medical community and epidemiologists don't have all the data. I believe it's best that we all follow the guidelines and advice of the medical professionals as our top priority so that we can all get through this with the fewest number of cases.

Troutsource
03-26-2020, 05:10 PM
Can't fish in Washington State for 2 weeks. I hope we're not next.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/washington-bans-recreational-fishing-slow-coronavirus

PV_Premier
03-26-2020, 07:57 PM
I would not follow such an order. It’s unnecessary and very draconian. Fine me, I wouldn’t care.

JohnSciacca
03-27-2020, 07:23 AM
I agree. There is no scientifically based reason to shut down fishing statewide. It’s time for some pushback.

JasonB
03-27-2020, 11:57 AM
People have been “pushing back” in pretty big numbers...which is a huge part of why these emergency measures are getting more and more restrictive. Encouraging others to defy such closures will not help at all! In all likelihood, I would expect further closures here, though to what extent does very much depend on how much success we have with current measures. The numbers aren’t looking too promising right now though in my opinion.

PV_Premier
03-27-2020, 01:52 PM
People have been “pushing back” in pretty big numbers...which is a huge part of why these emergency measures are getting more and more restrictive. Encouraging others to defy such closures will not help at all! In all likelihood, I would expect further closures here, though to what extent does very much depend on how much success we have with current measures. The numbers aren’t looking too promising right now though in my opinion.

The govt will take what we are willing to let them take, whether that’s taxes, rights, privileges, etc.

steveg137
03-27-2020, 06:53 PM
When your friends and family start to get sick you may feel differently.

Italy now has more cases than China with a vastly inferior population due to China's quick action.

I fear we are going to see huge amounts of deaths because of the slow and inconsistent response.

Sincerely home I'm wrong.

lee s.
03-28-2020, 08:02 AM
You can no more stop this virus and it's affects than you can stop our pollution of the environment. Just like pollution, slow it maybe.....stop it no.
Care must be taken for health purposes....panic will serve no one......
.....lee s.

Idadon
03-28-2020, 09:15 AM
I’m agreeing with Lee s. Just because you sit in a house for awhile doesn’t mean it won’t be waiting when you come out. Buying all the canned goods and toilet paper you can get your hands on won’t help either. The real issue is that as a species we’re living to close to each other. The big cities where it’s almost impossible to avoid close contact is a virus’s playground. Little doubt in my mind that this kind of event will become more frequent. I’m also thinking that the major news networks that have been fanning this panic should be shot!

Rich Morrison
03-29-2020, 04:43 PM
...I’m also thinking that the major news networks that have been fanning this panic should be shot!

100% agree

yubaman
03-30-2020, 05:40 PM
We were up on the OP when the closure hit. The explanation was that "all of these people are leaving their homes and crowding the put-in's and take out ramps"!!!!!!!!! What a lame bit of reasoning?!!!! How do you get within 6' of anyone but the ones you are fishing with?
Maybe that's what they are really addressing? 15 boats on a river means 45 people in close proximity? That's attacking a pretty small sample size.

PV_Premier
03-30-2020, 07:42 PM
Read my other comment. If we allow them to take it; they will, and it might not come back.

I’m sure glad the 50 people a day out fishing at Putah are more of a risk for society than the thousands daily using the 12’ wide AR trail for walking/biking/etc :rolleyes:

STEELIES/26c3
03-31-2020, 08:34 AM
"Essential activity"

YUP that would be me on a daily basis... fishing where there are ZERO people invading my space or my sanity... YCYFLYFSHER and provided some answers to your blue back questions in the thread you started btw :)

Troutsource
03-31-2020, 11:19 AM
Here's a reason from the A on Saturday why I still fish in these times. It's about as safe an activity as you can have. And ironically the fishing has been the best it has ever been for me in terms of fish size. This one ran about 20", right after a 16". The weekend before it was an 18" and 19". Swinging caddis pupae.

JasonB
03-31-2020, 06:53 PM
Read my other comment. If we allow them to take it; they will, and it might not come back.

I’m sure glad the 50 people a day out fishing at Putah are more of a risk for society than the thousands daily using the 12’ wide AR trail for walking/biking/etc :rolleyes:

This misses the point by a mile. For one thing, your alluding to some governmental conspiracy is about as thin as it gets. You seriously think that either local or federal government officials are really concerned about such trivial matters right now? Have you not noticed the size and scope of federal dollars being dumped to address both the medical and economic fallout? Our own Governor is about to have his entire signature plan put on eternal hold due to massive budget priority shifts. It may not fit in with how some of would like to see things, but the reality is that “they” (from city counsel members all the way up to the president) are being forced to prioritize minimizing the spread of the virus, and minimizing substantial loss of life. Even urgent economic concerns are taking a back seat for the time being. Fishing? Get real! The only way it gets thought of at all is if it is viewed as a potential source of congregation and spread.

All those people on local trails definitely caught some attention, and most trails are being shut down now too. I’m not at all happy about it! It pisses me off to have our local walking trails closed due to being literally overflowing with a bunch of folks from as far away as the Bay Area, but at the same time the numbers of people who felt the need to get out and who found ways to justify doing so was not at all consistent with current laws and guidance. It was only a matter of time. Find somewhere close to get outside, and follow the posted guidelines or we will end up loosing a lot more access. Find off times to go, go to less popular locations, if there are a bunch of cars, take a pass, etc. Being stubborn about this, or trying to make a point is not going to cause government officials or law enforcement to “ease up” on these restrictions! Guaranteed, it will make things worse for everyone!

Mel1c
04-04-2020, 09:30 AM
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/officials-paddleboarder-arrested-at-malibu-pier-for-flouting-state-stay-at-home-order/

Rich Morrison
04-05-2020, 12:34 PM
We have no stay at home order here. Most businesses are closed. I went out yesterday. Aside from while in my car driving directly there and directly back I’d wager I wasn’t within half a mile of another human being. Certainly didn’t see any. Did wonders for my state of mind...

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h421/tweedrivr/lines/5D83B89A-6449-456F-9986-2F9B056D31BB_zpsg3xclsdf.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h421/tweedrivr/lines/2FDBA2E7-3F6A-449B-B52B-E2BF44AF9099_zpsutvkcch2.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h421/tweedrivr/lines/C4992A5D-D7EE-4629-9F57-32593044974C_zpspjrrqnco.jpg

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h421/tweedrivr/lines/C54E1083-6B70-41B5-B0A8-52A739D824FD_zpsdbsi3ggd.jpg

PV_Premier
04-05-2020, 05:38 PM
Rich, do you live in the Black Hills in SD?

Rich Morrison
04-05-2020, 06:48 PM
Rich, do you live in the Black Hills in SD?

Yes that is correct.

PV_Premier
04-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Nice, one of these days I want to explore that area and its fisheries.

Rich Morrison
04-07-2020, 07:30 AM
Nice, one of these days I want to explore that area and its fisheries.

Let me know when you visit. I’d be happy to go fishing with you and show you around a bit.

Jcolin
04-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Nice fish Rich. My moms family is from Custer; ive wanted to visit for years. All the relatives have told me about the fantastic brown trout fishing there, seems like its nowhere near as big a fly fishing destination as montana wyoming etc despite solid fishing which sounds great to me. My grandpa would tell me before he died a few years back about growing up there in the 20s and 30s and catching 5+ lb browns like it was nothing out of local lakes and streams.