PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Report 2/19/2020

BS
02-19-2020, 10:10 PM
Once again...........I hit up the big lake today !!!! :cool::cool:

Blasted off from home @ 8:15 and was greeted by Carmen @ 9:45.
The word was that the wind was howling this morning and only a few fish were caught. :(:(

I had "almost" convinced myself last night to fish a little further north today.......but the wind was forecast to blow from the east all day leaving nowhere to hide.;)

I chatted a little with Carmen about his last weeks fishing and............................................... .............Santa was there fishing again. :eek::eek:

After I "suited up" and was headed for the water, Santa was headed for the beach with his ladder in tow.;)

Nope, he didn't have a big bag of fish to divvy up among us......................nor a "Santa Bomb" fly for us to look at either. :confused:
Nothing but a couple of grumbles and a "I just got skunked" scowl on his face. :(

I made my first cast just after 10:00 and didn't get ANYTHING for the next two hours.
Right at noon I hooked and landed my first fish.....................it went more than 5lbs and less than 10. :)

Carmen yelled over to me "The Skunk's Gone"!!!
My response was, of course ........................... "Thank God, I don't wanna' go through THAT again" !!!!!!! ;);)

For the next hour and a half I missed a couple of strikes and landed a "rat".
Hummmmm........................... a little bit of action. :confused:

Carmen and "the rest" bugged out between 2:00 - 2:30.

I had one more strike just after the sun went down behind the mountains, and then I called it a day @ 5:30.

My tally for today was 2 for 5 ..................... with no LDR's.
The two fish I managed to land ate the Cherry Bomb midge. ;)

Not a good day number wise, but it's better than being slapped around by Mr. Skunk !!! :D

This next week I'll be pondering moving up a few beaches to see if I can locate some "Bruiser Cruisers" that might be hiding out, dependent on wind and weather of course. :cool::cool:

Progresso "Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup" was the "Entree' a'la Thermos" for the ride home tonight.........I put in one too many dashes of Tabasco Sauce though.:mad::mad:

Dang Cutthroats........................................ .....

Bob

Quinnphoto
02-19-2020, 11:08 PM
Pretty consistent catch rate Bob. I’m sure they had you working hard to get your five hits. I might try a northern beach tomorrow. Let you know how it goes. Remember the fly show in Pleasanton is stating Friday FYI

BS
02-19-2020, 11:41 PM
Pretty consistent catch rate Bob. I’m sure they had you working hard to get your five hits. I might try a northern beach tomorrow. Let you know how it goes. Remember the fly show in Pleasanton is stating Friday FYI

Get some sleep Bill. :p

You've got a long round trip drive tomorrow. :(

We'll chat it up tomorrow night. :D:D

Drive safe and don't forget anything................................;);)

Bob

JayDubP
02-20-2020, 11:31 AM
Bob- in your posts, what do you consider "a rat"?

Jim

BS
02-20-2020, 01:52 PM
Bob- in your posts, what do you consider "a rat"?

Jim

Hi Jim !!!

I consider anything that "appears" to be less than the 24+ inch "keeper size" minimum.......... to be a "rat". ;);)
So, < 24 inches to me = "rat".

I don't use a tape and measure/weigh each of my fish, but if it's got "big shoulders" and a "big ol' maw" I'll sometimes quickly weigh it in the net before releasing. :cool::cool:

Bob

JayDubP
02-20-2020, 07:08 PM
Hi Jim !!!

I consider anything that "appears" to be less than the 24+ inch "keeper size" minimum.......... to be a "rat". ;);)
So, < 24 inches to me = "rat".

I don't use a tape and measure/weigh each of my fish, but if it's got "big shoulders" and a "big ol' maw" I'll sometimes quickly weigh it in the net before releasing. :cool::cool:

Bob

Makes sense to me.

Thanks

Jim

Quinnphoto
02-21-2020, 04:35 PM
Went out yesterday to some north beaches. Nada. Tried another south beach and the gear guys were petty successful. Those long cast worked to get their lites in front of the fish. I was 0 for 0. I had some great conversations and enjoyed the whole experience as I always do at Pyramid. I plan to go back and redeem myself soon.

Pvillarr
02-21-2020, 04:42 PM
Once again...........I hit up the big lake today !!!! :cool::cool:

Blasted off from home @ 8:15 and was greeted by Carmen @ 9:45.
The word was that the wind was howling this morning and only a few fish were caught. :(:(

I had "almost" convinced myself last night to fish a little further north today.......but the wind was forecast to blow from the east all day leaving nowhere to hide.;)

I chatted a little with Carmen about his last weeks fishing and............................................... .............Santa was there fishing again. :eek::eek:

After I "suited up" and was headed for the water, Santa was headed for the beach with his ladder in tow.;)

Nope, he didn't have a big bag of fish to divvy up among us......................nor a "Santa Bomb" fly for us to look at either. :confused:
Nothing but a couple of grumbles and a "I just got skunked" scowl on his face. :(

I made my first cast just after 10:00 and didn't get ANYTHING for the next two hours.
Right at noon I hooked and landed my first fish.....................it went more than 5lbs and less than 10. :)

Carmen yelled over to me "The Skunk's Gone"!!!
My response was, of course ........................... "Thank God, I don't wanna' go through THAT again" !!!!!!! ;);)

For the next hour and a half I missed a couple of strikes and landed a "rat".
Hummmmm........................... a little bit of action. :confused:

Carmen and "the rest" bugged out between 2:00 - 2:30.

I had one more strike just after the sun went down behind the mountains, and then I called it a day @ 5:30.

My tally for today was 2 for 5 ..................... with no LDR's.
The two fish I managed to land ate the Cherry Bomb midge. ;)

Not a good day number wise, but it's better than being slapped around by Mr. Skunk !!! :D

This next week I'll be pondering moving up a few beaches to see if I can locate some "Bruiser Cruisers" that might be hiding out, dependent on wind and weather of course. :cool::cool:

Progresso "Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup" was the "Entree' a'la Thermos" for the ride home tonight.........I put in one too many dashes of Tabasco Sauce though.:mad::mad:

Dang Cutthroats........................................ .....

Bob

Thanks for the report. I will be posting mine soon... ugh

BS
02-21-2020, 07:31 PM
Went out yesterday to some north beaches. Nada. Tried another south beach and the gear guys were petty successful. Those long cast worked to get their lites in front of the fish. I was 0 for 0. I had some great conversations and enjoyed the whole experience as I always do at Pyramid. I plan to go back and redeem myself soon.

AAAAAAAWWWWWW CRAP.............................:mad::mad:

I had my hopes up that you were going to find 'em big time yesterday........................... :(:(

I just don't know why the fishing seems to be so "spotty". :confused::confused:

I guess some DuPont lures may do the trick next trip. :p:p

Dang Cutthroats............................

Bob

BS
02-21-2020, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the report. I will be posting mine soon... ugh

Bring it on Pvillarr..............................:cool::cool:

Tell us something good !!! :cool::cool:

Bob

Katz
02-23-2020, 10:35 AM
Took my spey rod Saturday for my second trip to Pyramid. Could definitely chuck the indicator.

Ended up 2 for 3. One on a purple and black midge and the other on the red with white bead head.

These might be considered "rats" but they still look like big trout to me. I will have to catch a few more before I stop taking pictures! :)

Amazing color differences in the fish.

And for the ride home............... Thermos of Costo Chicken Noodle with a shot of Siracha Sauce.

Katz

Pvillarr
02-23-2020, 11:11 AM
Took my spey rod Saturday for my second trip to Pyramid. Could definitely chuck the indicator.

Ended up 2 for 3. One on a purple and black midge and the other on the red with white bead head.

These might be considered "rats" but they still look like big trout to me. I will have to catch a few more before I stop taking pictures! :)

And for the ride home............... Thermos of Costo Chicken Noodle with a shot of Siracha Sauce.

Katz

Looks like a successful trip. What was your setup? It looks like Rio Max with a floating tip? If so, what running line did you use? I’ve tried Rio’s connectcore shooting line with a Rio max short and a floating mow tip before and it worked great.

BS
02-23-2020, 11:16 AM

Katz

All Right Katz !!!!!!!!! :cool::cool:

You braved the crowds and got into some fish !!!!!!
Good Job !!!!!

Keep the reports coming !!!!!!!
If I can't be there to fish, I LOVE to read the reports !!!!!!

Nice soup closer too....................I like it !!!!! ;);)

Bob

Katz
02-23-2020, 12:41 PM
Looks like a successful trip. What was your setup? It looks like Rio Max with a floating tip? If so, what running line did you use? I’ve tried Rio’s connectcore shooting line with a Rio max short and a floating mow tip before and it worked great.

Rio Skagit Max Floating Head. I am new to spey and have a Rio Gripshooter running line. Felt like I had good control and it ended up being a great day of casting practice with a couple interruptions by fish. K

Mr T
02-24-2020, 12:51 PM
Alright Katz !!!!!!!!! :cool::cool:

You braved the crowds and got into some fish !!!!!!
Good Job !!!!!

Keep the reports coming !!!!!!!
If I can't be there to fish, I LOVE to read the reports !!!!!!

Nice soup closer too....................I like it !!!!! ;);)

Bob

Nice report- I'll take "rats" like that any day!

Liked the soup closer too!