PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Report 2/12/2020

BS
02-12-2020, 11:24 PM
Woke up this morning @ 6:00 and went outside to take a gander at the moon.........................and thought Dang,.................... I hope this big waning moon isn't going to kill the fishing today............................. :confused:

I pounded lots of coffee, loaded up the car, and was on the road just after 8:00.

Went south again today and met up with Pal Carmen.
Carmen's morning wasn't too good.....................a couple of fish before sunrise and that was it............ :(:(

I suited up and was on the water fishing around 10:00.

Now this next part is kind of,.............................. lets just say,........................ "WEIRD".

I don't know if one of you out there "schemed this up" or it just happened to be a HUGE coincidence, but, I fished a good portion of the day near (only a couple of ladders away from me) a fellow that was dressed and looked like SANTA CLAUS !!!! :eek::eek:

Yep, he was wearing waders, what looked to be a red velvet shirt under his fishing vest, had a "real" white mustache and beard, wore Santa style glasses, and a Santa hat that had a white band around his head and a black cone above the headband, and a white fluffy ball on the top of his hat.
Now if I were going to tie a "Santa Bomb" fly for Pyramid, that's the color scheme I'd use. :p:p

Sorry guys, I'm not losing it or wasn't hallucinating either.......... I'm sure Quinnphoto (Bill) and Carmen and Jimmy noticed him too....... :confused::confused:

John H...............................................ar e you toying with me ?????????????????????????????????? :D

Anyhow, from 10:00 till 2:00 I didn't have ANY strikes............ I was fearing a re-visit by Mr. Skunk. :(

Around 2:00 Carmen said he was going down the beach to fish and for me to step into his spot.......Thanks Carmen !!! :)
A few short minutes after I slipped into Carmen's spot my 'cator disappeared and I had a 4-5 second battle with a fish that went LDR...........pffffttttt.

About 4:15, Quinnphoto (Bill), waved goodbye (I think he had to return some rented equipment to the RFS before they closed ;);) ) and I hooked and landed a fair sized ~5+ lbs fish just before he left.

WWWHHHHHEEEWWWWWWW................the skunk was gone...............................

I fished till dark with one other 'cator "take down" that I didn't hook up with....... :mad:

I ended up my day going 1 for 3.
Everyone else fared about the same............it was a slow day for all today. :mad:

For the ride home, my small thermos of "Vegetable Beef Soup" with just the right seasoning. :cool::cool:

Dang Cutthroats........................................

Bob who's still wondering about the "Santa thing" today.........................:confused::confused:

Pvillarr
02-13-2020, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the report.

BS
02-13-2020, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the report.

You're welcome Pvillar, even though there wasn't much catching to "report" about. :mad:

Jcolin
02-13-2020, 08:48 AM
thanks for the report bob. Ive been wondering about the switch rod set up you use...when im at pyramid i use my 12’ 6 weight steelhead spey rod for stripping streamers and beetles on a sinking shooting head; i dont make the same skagit casts with it i do on a river but found it easier for casting in the wind if i roll cast it or even backhand cast it and can get more distance than a single hand rod, but havent tried the bobber rig with midges yet on the long rod. Do you use a WF floating line with the switch rod, or a floating shooting head with a floating tip for the indicator rig? Im going to fish pyramid at least one weekend in march and would like to give it a shot then as i know it can be deadly and assume you can chuck it out there farther.

Pvillarr
02-13-2020, 09:36 AM
Hey, I’ve had way less productive trips there than your visit lol

Mr T
02-13-2020, 09:41 AM
Hey Bob,

Hope you enjoyed the day, kinda worried about the santa sighting though! hope its not a virus or anything! (too soon?)

Quinnphoto
02-13-2020, 09:45 AM
Nice to see you again Bob. You know I have seen Santa fishing there a few times and now I don’t even think about it. I guess it is a little unusual :) Glad you caught that late fish. You were working the water hard yesterday. The lake owed you one!!!!!

BS
02-13-2020, 09:50 AM
thanks for the report bob. Ive been wondering about the switch rod set up you use...when im at pyramid i use my 12’ 6 weight steelhead spey rod for stripping streamers and beetles on a sinking shooting head; i dont make the same skagit casts with it i do on a river but found it easier for casting in the wind if i roll cast it or even backhand cast it and can get more distance than a single hand rod, but havent tried the bobber rig with midges yet on the long rod. Do you use a WF floating line with the switch rod, or a floating shooting head with a floating tip for the indicator rig? Im going to fish pyramid at least one weekend in march and would like to give it a shot then as i know it can be deadly and assume you can chuck it out there farther.

Jcolin,

Here you go !!!!!!!
I copied and pasted this from my 1/29/2020 Pyramid Report.

"My Gear..........

I've got three rods that use at the lake.

For stripping sinking lines, I use a single hand 10' 8wt. rod I built many years ago (All-Star Blank) which was very close to a Dan Craft fast action blank of that era.

My sinking fly line is a Rio Outbound Short WF8I/S6 and I use a stripping basket with it.
Believe it or not, I'm able to cast my sinking line further with a double haul, using this single hand rod, than I can with a two-hander.

For my first floating rig I have a 7wt. Redington Dually (older version) 7113-4 Switch Rod.
My floating line is a Wulff Ambush @ 550 grains.
Yep, my rod may be a bit overlined, but it matches MY casting stroke, can punch into a moderate head wind, and rips two tungsten bead head flies with a large indicator a long way.............. if needed.

My second floating rig is a Cabelas Vector 6wt. 1106-4 Switch Rod.
I use a Scientific Anglers Adapt Switch Line @ 440 grains (now discontinued).
This rig feels nice and light in hand, but lacks the "authority" to cast into a moderate head wind like my 7wt. does..............of course.

Late Edit: I do not overhead cast either of my floating rigs. I use a single spey/roll cast".

So, in essence, my floating lines are a "scandoid" type and they do serve me well at Pyramid.
I don't use any tips, I use a 2-4 foot 40lb amnesia leader butt and ~13 feet of 12lb flurocarbon as my leader.
That 13 foot length is about the maximum length that "I can cast" and still get good turn-over.
And be forewarned that the Wulff Ambush line has a DEFINITE memory/coiling problem in the head portion if you're considering that line.

Hope this helps you a little bit !!!!

Bob

BS
02-13-2020, 10:14 AM
Nice to see you again Bob. You know I have seen Santa fishing there a few times and now I don’t even think about it. I guess it is a little unusual :) Glad you caught that late fish. You were working the water hard yesterday. The lake owed you one!!!!!

Bill,

Likewise.................. good to see you out there again.

And Thank You for validating my "Santa sighting" yesterday. :p:p

Maybe see you next week............................

Bob

BS
02-13-2020, 10:30 AM
Hey Bob,

Hope you enjoyed the day, kinda worried about the santa sighting though! hope its not a virus or anything! (too soon?)

Mr T,

Yep, I always enjoy my Pyramid trips............ :cool::cool: ....................even if it's a brutal skunkin'. ;);)

After "bustin' a gut" with the "Santa Bomb" thing earlier this week, I couldn't believe I was fishing within 60-70 feet of "Santa Claus" yesterday. :D:D

Geez, I was even scanning the beach looking for his big red bag filled with fish and cans of soup !!!! ;);)

Are you and Jake EVER going to make it up here.............................. this year ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bob

Jcolin
02-13-2020, 10:35 AM
Thanks very much Bob, that helps a lot. I can see overlining being helpful in the wind at pyramid

BS
02-13-2020, 10:52 AM
Thanks very much Bob, that helps a lot. I can see overlining being helpful in the wind at pyramid

Now you're cooking with gas !!!!!!

I trust that you'll have some sort of "phone tethering device" on your next Pyramid trip ??? ;););)

Bob

Mr T
02-13-2020, 11:16 AM
Mr T,

Yep, I always enjoy my Pyramid trips............ :cool::cool: ....................even if it's a brutal skunkin'. ;);)

After "bustin' a gut" with the "Santa Bomb" thing earlier this week, I couldn't believe I was fishing within 60-70 feet of "Santa Claus" yesterday. :D:D

Geez, I was even scanning the beach looking for his big red bag filled with fish and cans of soup !!!! ;);)

Are you and Jake EVER going to make it up here.............................. this year ??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bob

Great question! I dunno yet. Seems too warm there!

John H
02-13-2020, 12:58 PM
Bob -

That was not me in the Santa suit but you might want to talk to that guy. If he is legit you want to make sure he knows exactly who is supposed to be getting the bag of fish. The last thing you want is to show up one day and find your pal Carmen out on his ladder tearing into YOUR bag of fish. He is your buddy so it would not be all bad and he might let you have a couple fish and give you a look at the Santa Bomb.

Pvillarr
02-13-2020, 02:00 PM
Jcolin,

Here you go !!!!!!!
I copied and pasted this from my 1/29/2020 Pyramid Report.

"My Gear..........

I've got three rods that use at the lake.

For stripping sinking lines, I use a single hand 10' 8wt. rod I built many years ago (All-Star Blank) which was very close to a Dan Craft fast action blank of that era.

My sinking fly line is a Rio Outbound Short WF8I/S6 and I use a stripping basket with it.
Believe it or not, I'm able to cast my sinking line further with a double haul, using this single hand rod, than I can with a two-hander.

For my first floating rig I have a 7wt. Redington Dually (older version) 7113-4 Switch Rod.
My floating line is a Wulff Ambush @ 550 grains.
Yep, my rod may be a bit overlined, but it matches MY casting stroke, can punch into a moderate head wind, and rips two tungsten bead head flies with a large indicator a long way.............. if needed.

My second floating rig is a Cabelas Vector 6wt. 1106-4 Switch Rod.
I use a Scientific Anglers Adapt Switch Line @ 440 grains (now discontinued).
This rig feels nice and light in hand, but lacks the "authority" to cast into a moderate head wind like my 7wt. does..............of course.

Late Edit: I do not overhead cast either of my floating rigs. I use a single spey/roll cast".

So, in essence, my floating lines are a "scandoid" type and they do serve me well at Pyramid.
I don't use any tips, I use a 2-4 foot 40lb amnesia leader butt and ~13 feet of 15lb flurocarbon as my leader.
That 13 foot length is about the maximum length that "I can cast" and still get good turn-over.
And be forewarned that the Wulff Ambush line has a DEFINITE memory/coiling problem in the head portion if you're considering that line.

Hope this helps you a little bit !!!!

Bob

Hi Bob, do you always use 15lb test tippet?

BS
02-13-2020, 04:09 PM
Hi Bob, do you always use 15lb test tippet?

Hi Pvillar,

I just retrieved my spool so I could get the correct name spelling and noticed that it is rated @ 12lb. oops, my mistake :o:o-----not that there's that much difference between 12lb and 15lb.

I use Seaguar InvizX (the yellow label) 12lb 200 yard spool, .011 diameter 100% fluorocarbon fishing line.

At the time I was researching tippet for Pyramid, I read somewhere that this was the "best" and gave it a try.
I'm happy with it and have used it for a couple of years now. :cool::cool:
It's very strong and have had zero problems with it. :cool::cool:

So, yep, this what I always use at Pyramid for my 'cator or stripping rigs.

Bob