PDA

View Full Version : Want to take my 8 year old son fishing at Rollins Reservoir

John Sv
02-12-2020, 02:22 PM
Hi,
I want to get my kid sight fishing for breams/crappie/small bass. We bait fish a fair bit for trout in Donner Lake but he thinks its boring. We went to Martis and he caught a mess of sunfish on flies, but all were tiny. I'm guessing those back bays in Rollins might have some fun/easy sight fishing. Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?
Looking for time of year and any other suggestions you might have.
Thanks in advance

John Sv
02-12-2020, 04:00 PM
Whhops I was going for the panfish forum not the trout in still waters forum. Please forgive me!

McFish
02-12-2020, 06:36 PM
Do you have a boat? Crappie at Clear Lake is almost a guarantee, but a boat helps a lot. There are fishing docks available, see the State Park, Library Park, Indian Beach. Only a few shore locations. Mid-March to mid-May or later. Docks are often swarmed by spincasters; tough for a novice fly tosser. Salt Springs reservoir, just north of Copperopolis, has some easy bluegill, crappie, bass and shore fishing or wading is easy. The delta; Franks tract.. Try a search for bluegill on this forum. Look for water temps in 55-65 for crappie, bass; maybe 62-70 for bluegill. An indicator helps to know where fly is, see the bite. You'll miss a lot of bites without one. many small community ponds have good bluegill populations and easy, grassy casting areas.

Jake B
02-12-2020, 07:54 PM
Greenhorn campground is where I go at Rollins lake nice camping on waters edge , has a boat ramp and big crappie lots of bass as well I just stay in the cove and fish the edges ... can’t go wrong , hope this helps.....Jake
Black woolybugger or wiggle tail is all I use peacock also

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-12-2020, 08:27 PM
Most low elevation reservoirs are good for bass and panfish in the shallows in the spring......March/April/May.

John Sv
02-12-2020, 08:35 PM
Thanks fellas! Will give greenhorn a shake!