PDA

View Full Version : Preventative Maintenance

BS
02-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Just finished up paying a few bills (no, I don't do auto-pay for EVERYTHING) and had a few minutes of free time. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I remembered that my dedicated Pyramid Lake fishing vest zippers, on the pockets, were becoming a little more difficult to zip and un-zip..........use and the alkaline water most likely the probable cause. ;);)

I grabbed my chunk of candle that I use to wax my rod ferrules and gave 'em a good rubbing back and forth.......... on the closed teeth part. :p:p

I zipped and un-zipped each zipper a half dozen times and they work "like new" again.

I recently had to replace a fubared zipper on my favorite trout vest because I "forced it" open and closed too many times ................................. and I don't ever want to do that again !!!!! :mad::mad:

If you have a few minutes to burn................lube up your vest(s) zippers.

Blowing out a vest zipper while fishing will detract you from your day of fishing. :cool::cool:

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-11-2020, 03:08 PM
There is a product called "Zipper Lube" which I giggled when I first saw it.

It is sold to lube zippers on Jeep removable vinyl tops.

Patagonia has a zipper lube for the zippers on their waterproof boat bags.

Sounds like candle wax or paraffin works too.

Mr T
02-12-2020, 12:49 PM
Wax works really well, I've also used Boeshield T-9 bike chain lube. It goes on wet but dries out, they say its paraffin based.