PDA

View Full Version : Looking for shuttle service on the South Fork of the Eel River?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-25-2020, 10:37 PM
I am posting this email question I received:

John Shackford <jshackford98@gmail.com>

Good morning, I got your info from a forum that had mentioned a shuttle service on the eel river. I’m drifting the south fork this coming Thursday and was hoping to find a shuttle service. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John

jshackford98@gmail.com

avidangler
01-26-2020, 12:22 AM
Try calling Browns. I bet Darren would know. (707) 923-2533

Larry S
01-26-2020, 08:06 AM
Browns an obvious choice.
Also, maybe Grundman's Sporting Goods in Rio Dell.
(707) 764-5744

BobVP
01-29-2020, 09:49 PM
This may be too late for this trip but for future reference:

When we would do long trips on the Eel or Trinity and needed a shuttle we would call a local church near our put-in or take-out and ask the pastor, or whoever was in charge, and they always knew someone they would trust and could use the money. There were a couple of "interesting" shuttles (Nothing heinous nor weird...maybe a smaller than needed car....) but they always came through.
I remember we used this idea calling churchs in Willow Creek, Alderpoint, Garberville and Happy Camp.

There was the woman that picked us up in Alderpoint that offered everyone a joint halfway through the ride not knowing one of us was a CHP Officer and my buddy Jim was a drug counselor (This was long before it was legal.....Long before!). We all politely refused and she was good with not needing to smoke it on the trip after she asked if we minded.