PDA

View Full Version : Non ff - clay pigeons

koffler
01-17-2020, 03:49 PM
Happy New Year one and all.

Sick of paying to shoot clay pigeons at clubs. I have a couple thousand clay discs and live in Folsom. Anyone know if BLM allows shooting or any other public land within a fair drive where we can do this?

Thanks-
Jason

MThompson
01-18-2020, 01:41 PM
New Hogan is surrounded by BLM land where shotguns are allowed but I wonder if a ranger wouldn't come along and say you were littering. Guarantee you would have that issue in the National Forest. There's not much room left in CA to do anything firearms related anymore sadly.

DLJeff
01-19-2020, 10:40 AM
MThompson hits on the real issue. Standard clay pidgeons are made of clay bound by an asphalt-type binder, and dyed bright orange. They are not biodegradable and will take many many years to decompose. The dye will fade after a year or so depending on the exposure to sunlight. Unless you pick up the pieces and missed clays, they'll be there for a very long time. Supposedly there are "biodegradable clays".

koffler
01-19-2020, 09:09 PM
Lol - I don’t miss often. All fair
points. Thanks for the feedback and
will continue to shoot at clubs.

Txs
Jason

aaron
01-19-2020, 09:16 PM
Lol - I don’t miss often. All fair
points. Thanks for the feedback and
will continue to shoot at clubs.

Txs
Jason

It's been a long time since I've lived in CA but...I've had zero problems shooting clays on BLM/FS land and most clays sold these days are advertised as biodegradeable. I've had FS Rangers come say hi while shooting many times and thank me for choosing safe areas to do so, never an issue but I do shoot where others tend to concentrate as well in informal ranges. Perhaps call yur local BLM or FS office and ask? They're usually quite helpful.

koffler
01-19-2020, 09:19 PM
Txs buddy. All mine are biodegradable in theory. Was just looking for an easier way to shoot. Be well.. i am a pretty stand up guy, will clean up the mess i create.

Charlie S
01-22-2020, 07:30 PM
Additionally, the are toxic to some animal groups.

TaylerW
01-22-2020, 08:17 PM
I have a handful of great spots. There are a number surrounding Ice House and Union Valley reservoirs.

Jet
01-24-2020, 06:48 PM
There is a public shooting range behind lake camp farwest Self policing