PDA

View Full Version : favorite knot for leader to tippet

TroutHunter10
01-17-2020, 01:50 PM
What's your favorite knot? I've always used the surgeons but am interested in what others use

Carl Blackledge
01-17-2020, 02:37 PM
Trout,

I love the surgeons knot also, however for leader to tippet on a little trout outfit that knot makes a big bump, So I use the Blood knot because of it's thinner profile. My 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

BS
01-17-2020, 03:08 PM
What's your favorite knot? I've always used the surgeons but am interested in what others use

Blood knot for me !!!

Bob

JasonB
01-17-2020, 03:28 PM
I’m much more fond of blood knots too, as long as it’s not too big of a change in diameter or stiffness

Ralph
01-17-2020, 05:35 PM

Tippet ring with Uni Knot or improved clinch on either side.

PV_Premier
01-18-2020, 05:45 AM
Triple surgeons - strong, easy and fast to tie.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-18-2020, 08:34 AM
This would be a knotless tapered leader to a level length of tippet for the most common situation:

Double or Triple surgeons for most.

Blood or barrel knot is cleaner.

Uni-knot is another option.

For salt water many use the Albright, especially Third World guides.

dynaflow
01-18-2020, 10:43 PM
IMHO the best knot is the Slim Beauty but it's not easy to tie,especially on a windy flat.The Triple Surgeons looks simple but has to be tied well or it will pop easily....it's also bulky.I'm going with the consensus and prefer a Uni knot or Blood knot as they have a thinner profile.

Mr T
01-19-2020, 01:45 AM
Most times a blood knot. If I’m in a rush I will use a double or triple surgeons.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-19-2020, 09:26 AM
Most times a blood knot. If I’m in a rush I will use a double or triple surgeons.

Yes, Mr T.......this is probably the popular consensus for most trout anglers.

John Sv
01-19-2020, 10:25 AM
I’ve always used blood knots for leader, trilene knot to the fly. New for me, on the mid-late 40s border, is that I need optimal light to get the blood knot threaded. Magnifiers don’t seem to help, I just animatedly move my body/hands/line until I get the light right. Dusk is tough if the leader breaks. Oh I use tippet rings a fair bit too.

Fly Guy Dave
01-20-2020, 06:52 AM
Tippet ring with Uni Knot or improved clinch on either side.

X2. Since I started using tippet rings, I through a lot fewer leaders.

Sierra D
01-23-2020, 12:51 PM
Some in this discussion seem to feel that DOUBLE and TRIPLE surgeons are comparable. I have done extensive experimenting on my porch, with a beer, breaking leader in my hands to determine if TRIPLE surgeons is significantly stronger than DOUBLE. The answer is YES! If I can tell with my bare hands, the difference is not subtle.

I recommend you ALWAYS pass through that third time. It might save you the big one.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-23-2020, 12:57 PM
Some like the Double Surgeons for larger tippet (0x - 3x) to keep the knot bulk down and the Triple Surgeons for finer tippets (4x-7x).

TroutHunter10
01-23-2020, 02:36 PM
Great discussion. I appreciate the insight. I like tippet rings while nymphing but have never used them while fishing dries.

I've heard Tim Rajeff talk about a knot that goes as follows: you create a loop like you would for a surgeons knot but instead of passing the line through the loop, 2-3x depending, you stick you finger in the loop, twist 3x and then pull the line through. He said Lefty Kreh taught him the knot. Anyone know if this knot has a name or used it before?

Carl Blackledge
01-23-2020, 04:38 PM
Bill,

I have found that passing the line thru 3 times is even a bigger bump, however if you go 4 times it flattens back out somewhat in Mono

For the best strength in BRAID use the triple surgeons knot (6 times through) and 50 pound power pro will test out around 56-57 pounds test- my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Carl Blackledge
01-23-2020, 04:40 PM
Great discussion. I appreciate the insight. I like tippet rings while nymphing but have never used them while fishing dries.

I've heard Tim Rajeff talk about a knot that goes as follows: you create a loop like you would for a surgeons knot but instead of passing the line through the loop, 2-3x depending, you stick you finger in the loop, twist 3x and then pull the line through. He said Lefty Kreh taught him the knot. Anyone know if this knot has a name or used it before?

Spider hitch?

Mr T
01-23-2020, 04:45 PM
Spider hitch?

Yep- use it for tuna rigs when the bite is hot and you don’t have time for mono to leader knots.

Sierra D
01-23-2020, 05:00 PM

I'm pretty sure that's a Seguar knot. Strong and straight, but even bulkier than a triple surgeons.

TroutHunter10
01-23-2020, 05:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that's a Seguar knot. Strong and straight, but even bulkier than a triple surgeons.

Yep, its the segaur knot.

EricO
01-24-2020, 04:24 PM
X2. Since I started using tippet rings, I through a lot fewer leaders.

x3 Dave. It's the best "invention" ever for the reason you stated. I go through a very minimal amount of
leaders nowadays. And they are light enough to use with dries to boot.

Eric

Ralph
01-24-2020, 05:36 PM
x3 Dave. It's the best "invention" ever for the reason you stated. I go through a very minimal amount of
leaders nowadays. And they are light enough to use with dries to boot.
Eric

Yep- what Eric and Dave said! I started using tippet rings about 15 years ago when I needed to change tippet diameter quickly when swapping from nymphs to streamers and back. In the past 5 years, at least, I use tippet rings for everything from saltwater to spring creek dries. With them you can make big jumps in leader diameter without sacrificing knot strength. I haven't found any mono to mono knot that comes close to the strength of a knot to a tippet ring. I start with a knotless tapered leader, but once the tippet needs to be replaced, on goes a tippet ring. Most leaders will last many weeks of fishing with only the tippets replaced to the ring. I'm still waiting for a situation where tippet rings negatively influence catch rate. For big streamers and flies that like to helicopter a tiny Spro swivel takes the place of a ring.

peterkoistinen
01-25-2020, 07:45 AM
Yep- what Eric and Dave said! I started using tippet rings about 15 years ago when I needed to change tippet diameter quickly when swapping from nymphs to streamers and back. In the past 5 years, at least, I use tippet rings for everything from saltwater to spring creek dries. With them you can make big jumps in leader diameter without sacrificing knot strength. I haven't found any mono to mono knot that comes close to the strength of a knot to a tippet ring. I start with a knotless tapered leader, but once the tippet needs to be replaced, on goes a tippet ring. Most leaders will last many weeks of fishing with only the tippets replaced to the ring. I'm still waiting for a situation where tippet rings negatively influence catch rate. For big streamers and flies that like to helicopter a tiny Spro swivel takes the place of a ring.

Ralph,

Will tippet ring be okay for 12’ leader down to 6X? If so, exactly what size ring? IOW what's the brand, and what does it say on the package regarding size (“really tiny”, “ultra small”, “itty bitty”, etc).

Thanks,

Pete

Ralph
01-25-2020, 01:10 PM
Ralph,

Will tippet ring be okay for 12’ leader down to 6X? If so, exactly what size ring? IOW what's the brand, and what does it say on the package regarding size (“really tiny”, “ultra small”, “itty bitty”, etc).

Thanks,

Pete

Yes, tippet rings work fine on 6x. I bought a bunch from a European dealer before they were popular and readily available in the US. I don't know the brand or size. Rio's 2mm (25#) rings seem to be similar to the ones I have.

Larry S
01-26-2020, 02:24 PM
Ralph & Peter,
Funny senior moment story; last summer I was fishing Fishigan's AuSable and had forgotten to bring
my tippet rings. Went into a local shop to purchase same. The clerk said he had them and pointed
out the Rio package. It contained a snap swivel; both of us looked and didn't see any rings.
They are THAT TINY. Left the shop and found them on the Rio web site on my phone. Returned
the next day for a purchase. Both of us were a little red-faced.
The ones I had purchased years ago all came in packets of 20 or so.

Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Ralph
01-27-2020, 07:44 PM
Larry, "THAT TINY"!

With a light touch down, they float on the surface film. If I were the nefarious owner of a fly shop I wouldn't mention, much less sell the things, because they would make a SERIOUS dent in leader sales. Tip: tie your leader to the ring BEFORE slipping it off of the snap swivel. If you don't, you will most likely drop the damn thing with never any hope of finding it again.

Mr T
01-28-2020, 12:06 PM
Larry, "THAT TINY"!

With a light touch down, they float on the surface film. If I were the nefarious owner of a fly shop I wouldn't mention, much less sell the things, because they would make a SERIOUS dent in leader sales. Tip: tie your leader to the ring BEFORE slipping it off of the snap swivel. If you don't, you will most likely drop the damn thing with never any hope of finding it again.

Good point- dummy me figured that out once and tied up to the swivel and THEN realized I was on the closed side of the snap!

OceanSunfish
02-04-2020, 12:48 AM
Ralph & Peter,
Funny senior moment story; last summer I was fishing Fishigan's AuSable and had forgotten to bring
my tippet rings. Went into a local shop to purchase same. The clerk said he had them and pointed
out the Rio package. It contained a snap swivel; both of us looked and didn't see any rings.
They are THAT TINY. Left the shop and found them on the Rio web site on my phone. Returned
the next day for a purchase. Both of us were a little red-faced.
The ones I had purchased years ago all came in packets of 20 or so.

Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Thanks for sharing your experience. Made me chuckle. I wasn't shopping for them when I first saw the teeny tiny rings....... I only saw the snap swivel too. They make perfect sense. I like the tiny spros too.

EricO
02-04-2020, 08:41 AM
Larry, "THAT TINY"!

Great point on how to attach the rings Ralph. Spent too many minutes looking for one on the rocks after dropping.
Will never be found...ever.

Jim G
02-19-2020, 12:46 PM
Crazy Alberto knot.
I use less turns than the 12 they typically use
6 works for me. It’s good on lines of different dia.

JGB
02-20-2020, 06:39 AM
Just bought and used tippet rings for the first time...won't be without them again. Before others discover them one might want to divest themselves of any investment in leader manufacturers! I can make one tapered leader last all day+.

Like stated above the rings are really tiny, and do thread them before removing them from the swivel, cuz if you drop one you will never find it again. They are about the size of a small letter O in the text on this board.

Nymphed with them only so far, but I imagine if you are dry fly fishing with 5X or larger sinkage won't be a issue.

JB

beachjumper1
02-24-2020, 08:26 AM
Just bought and used tippet rings for the first time...won't be without them again. Before others discover them one might want to divest themselves of any investment in leader manufacturers! I can make one tapered leader last all day+.

Like stated above the rings are really tiny, and do thread them before removing them from the swivel, cuz if you drop one you will never find it again. They are about the size of a small letter O in the text on this board.

Nymphed with them only so far, but I imagine if you are dry fly fishing with 5X or larger sinkage won't be a issue.

JB

that's what I do too.

TroutHunter10
02-24-2020, 10:09 AM
that's what I do too.

If you are nymphing, I'd also try out micro swivels, size 14. They arent as tiny as a tippet ring but reduce line twist. I really like them when throwing indicator rigs especially with bigger flies like rubberlegs that can twist up a leader when left hanging in the current or in the wind

Skyler76
02-24-2020, 09:13 PM

JB

I have yet to figure out why everyone doesn't use tippet rings. They must enjoy buying/making leaders. All day? My leaders live until I decide it might be a good idea to change them. If I were not using ring I would have probably gone through 10-15 leaders by then. I do recycle the ring though because I am the ultimate cheapskate.

I have yet to try micro swivels. I don't indicator fish but I do Euro (poorly I may add). Maybe I'll give those a whirl at some point.