PDA

View Full Version : SkwalaÂ’s?

Pupa
01-12-2020, 11:07 AM
Thinking about a surgical strike on the Yuba this week. Anyone willing to share info on hatch status? Those are some fun bugs to fish! Thanks

Larry S
01-12-2020, 06:08 PM
Pupa,
My thinking has been this is a late Feb hatch.
Do you have other info.
I do know the Western March Brown is known
for early arrivals. I remember someone
catching steelhead in Feb on March Browns
on the Trinity above Iron Bridge.
What a kick!
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

mattv-mcfly
01-12-2020, 07:43 PM
Not much happening on the Yuba right now. I went out on Sat and there are still barely any BWOs or any insects fluttering about. The river is fishing a bit tougher than usual for winter. I would wait until the end of January before hitting it up for the Skwalas hatch that is if the flows hold...

TaylerW
01-12-2020, 08:10 PM
Worked at a ranch riverfront all day today. Saw risers any time I took the time to watch. Fished a few runs right at dark and landed 1 small fish on a baetis nymph

Pupa
01-12-2020, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys. I had a feeling it would be a bit early. We’ve had a few epic skwala years recently and a few duds - at least that has been my experience. Fishing the nymphs deep into the hatch seemed more productive than adults. Let’s hope for the best this year.

Ron B
01-13-2020, 07:36 AM
Thinking about a surgical strike on the Yuba this week. Anyone willing to share info on hatch status? Those are some fun bugs to fish! Thanks

I've done 2 floats on the Yuba during last week. Like Matt, I didn't really see any appreciable insect action the first day. On the second day there was a BWO hatch going on from about mid-day to 3:30. The bugs were bringing up an occasional fish but nothing special. I did see a few Skwala husks on rocks down toward Sycamore, but didn't see any adults.

Upstream of the bridge, the week before, I did see a short minor emergence of PMD's and Pinkies in early afternoon that had a few fish looking up.

Bob Loblaw
01-13-2020, 02:38 PM
I was up there above the bridge 2 weekends ago and there were a few skwalas coming off, and a decent BWO hatch most of the afternoon. I had a few huge grabs on skwala dry patterns in faster water.