PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations on a depth finder

Brad Juan
01-04-2020, 06:26 PM
Im am looking at getting a depth finder to use on my drift boat and occasionally on my float tube for still water trout fishing. I dont think I need anything to fancy. I mostly care about the best setup for finding transition zones, structure, drop offs and and water temp. what is the best setup with a budget of 150 or so?

Thanks!

Brad

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-05-2020, 04:21 PM
Any Lowrance, Garmin or Hummingbird in that price point should work.

You can go to Batteries & Bulbs to get a small 12 volt battery.

Idadon
01-08-2020, 05:09 AM
I picked up a Garmin Stryker last year for my kayak. Easy to use even has a GPS tracker function. Mounted the battery in a plastic ammo can and the screen on the top of the can, ran the transducer lead to a thru hull mount position. Works great! When I’m done for the day I just disconnect the transducer lead and take it in the house. The little battery will run it for more hours then I want to fish and I stick it on a trickle charger to top it off.

Oh yeah, picked it up at Cabela’s on sale for $99!

Ralph
01-08-2020, 04:18 PM
I've had a number of Garmin, Lowrance and Hummingbirds in float tube sizes. Hand's down I'd go to Lowrance for a small, affordable, portable unit. If you have extra money to throw around and want a bigger unit with some very cool bells and whistles, then I'd lean towards the Hummingbird.

I am so disgusted with Garmin customer "service" that I wouldn't consider them for their fish finders which are pretty middle of the road anyway. That said, I use Garmin stand alone GPS units exclusively, simply because they are the king of the mountain in that realm.

Jet
01-08-2020, 10:39 PM
I use one of these with depth and water temp. Uses 4 AAA batteries.
Pretty primitive but compact and light.

https://hawkeyeelectronics.com/collections/fishtrax-series?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiIrAiub15gIVj-NkCh2gzgucEAAYASAAEgLtGvD_BwE