PDA

View Full Version : Lower Feather: Fishing was good, the catching part not so good

MHeuch
12-11-2019, 07:40 PM
I tried fishing the Lower Feather river on Monday for steelhead. The river was running very clear. I fished a few riffles in the low flow section and a few in the high-flow. Swinging a Anderson's Euphoria, with no takers. I saw several other fisherman during the day, a few nymph fly-fishermen and a few gear-fisherman, but I did not see anyone catching while in view.

Note: The river access road in the south (east) wildlife area is blocked off near the south end (high-flow section). Seems that there is some construction improvements going on. The parking areas in that section have new looking gravel and a few sections of the road has new gravel.

mogaru
12-11-2019, 11:09 PM
Feather low flow?.... Isn't the low flow section closed to fishing until 1st of January?

Lincoln Gray
12-12-2019, 09:20 AM
The closure is only from Hwy 70 bridge to the hatchery. That will open on January 1st.

You can fish from Hwy 70 bridge in the low flow and into the high flow currently.

hwchubb
12-14-2019, 07:16 AM
I believe the regs changed to close the whole low flow to salmon, didn’t it Lincoln? A friend mentioned to me that it was closed to fishing until 1-1, but the regs seem to read a salmon closure, not general.

WLREDBAND
12-14-2019, 09:42 AM
I believe the regs changed to close the whole low flow to salmon, didn’t it Lincoln? A friend mentioned to me that it was closed to fishing until 1-1, but the regs seem to read a salmon closure, not general.

As Lincoln correctly mentioned, the low flow section is open to steelhead fishing downstream of the HWY 70 bridge. The low flow is NOT open to salmon fishing. The stretch upstream from the bridge opens to steelhead fishing on 1 JAN.