PDA

View Full Version : Yuba report 12/5

yubaman
12-05-2019, 07:03 PM
I decided to head up to the Yuba today and get in some fishing before the rains slam in this weekend. The river continues to fish very well. Flows are a little high at 2000+ cfs, but very fish-able. The water is very clear. The last few salmon are still around, and by looking at the number of redds, it must have been a decent salmon run this year. The fish are definitely fattened up from gorging on eggs the last couple of months. These were the largest trout I have seen since the 2017 blowout, and numbers are good. The crowds were very light today as well.

I nymphed all day. Again, anything that resembled a stonefly was eaten at some point or another. Patience was key, and being sure to adjust leader lengths for the different runs generally resulted in good things. I would expect that egg imitations would do well also, but I did not fish them. I did see one rise today! There were midges out in the am, but no action on them. They were followed by some mayflies in the early afternoon.

You'll need a good truck wash after getting home!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-06-2019, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the excellent report....

Nice to hear about the good salmon run.

Mr T
12-06-2019, 09:22 AM
I decided to head up to the Yuba today and get in some fishing before the rains slam in this weekend. The river continues to fish very well. Flows are a little high at 2000+ cfs, but very fish-able. The water is very clear. The last few salmon are still around, and by looking at the number of redds, it must have been a decent salmon run this year. The fish are definitely fattened up from gorging on eggs the last couple of months. These were the largest trout I have seen since the 2017 blowout, and numbers are good. The crowds were very light today as well.

I nymphed all day. Again, anything that resembled a stonefly was eaten at some point or another. Patience was key, and being sure to adjust leader lengths for the different runs generally resulted in good things. I would expect that egg imitations would do well also, but I did not fish them. I did see one rise today! There were midges out in the am, but no action on them. They were followed by some mayflies in the early afternoon.

You'll need a good truck wash after getting home!

Completely jealous- hit the Y last week w a buddy and fished our tails off, saw stones, some caddis and never got a bump- either of us!

yubaman
12-06-2019, 07:40 PM
Most of my hook-ups were working soft seams of riffles and they came in groups. The fish seem to be podded up a bit in places and were still hanging around redds. After 2-3 hookups, that area shut down and it was time to move down a bit. You could cross the river, but only in a few selective places. I was the first and only guy working the area, so that sure helped as well.

Steve S
12-06-2019, 10:17 PM
Most of my hook-ups were working soft seams of riffles and they came in groups. The fish seem to be podded up a bit in places and were still hanging around redds. After 2-3 hookups, that area shut down and it was time to move down a bit. You could cross the river, but only in a few selective places. I was the first and only guy working the area, so that sure helped as well.

Thanks for a great report.
The Yuba used to be my home river and holds a special place in my heart.
No plans to head up anytime soon, but from your description I felt like I was right there with you.
Thanks again.
S

PV_Premier
12-08-2019, 03:15 PM
The Yuba was a beautiful steelhead green this morning. Fish were modestly receptive to swung flies for me.