PDA

View Full Version : RUSSIAN RIVER is open

Carl Blackledge
11-30-2019, 02:09 PM
Hey guys,

I just received an email from Kings Sport on the Russian river, They say it's open and a few fish were caught, both WILD & hatchery, after the heavy rain that's expected in the next few days....it should be ready to rock and roll :)

Carl Blackledge

Rossflyguy
11-30-2019, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

mogaru
12-01-2019, 02:20 PM
I'm planning to fish the Russian more often this season ........weather permitting.

Jeff F
12-05-2019, 08:54 AM
I work in Healdsburg and drive over the river twice a day on Hwy 101. The river is currently muddy (shocker!). Supposed to go up over 5000cfs this weekend. So, it's gonna be a while before it's fishable, even if it doesn't rain again for a week or so. However, when it does drop into shape, there should be lots of fish in the river.

~Jeff

Jcolin
12-05-2019, 06:45 PM
I had the day off work today and got to do a solo float on the russian from johnsons to montE rio bridge. Hooked and quickly lost one nice fish probably 6-8 lbs right after launching, i was pretty happy with that as its much better than most days i have swinging for winter fish. I like doing that float as its very close to home and there is not a lot of boat traffic with the summer bridge diversion, much easier getting around it with my one man pontoon. I was not expecting much with the river at 798 cubes this morning, but found the visibility was actually decent in that section of the river.. Its definitleu stained black, as it always is after the first rain due to tannins from crushed grape skins among other things, but fishable, unlike the coffee with creamer color when its blown. Maybe there was a slide further up river in healdsburg? The river should be good when it drops after this next rain

Jeff F
12-06-2019, 09:19 AM
I had the day off work today and got to do a solo float on the russian from johnsons to montE rio bridge. Hooked and quickly lost one nice fish probably 6-8 lbs right after launching, i was pretty happy with that as its much better than most days i have swinging for winter fish. I like doing that float as its very close to home and there is not a lot of boat traffic with the summer bridge diversion, much easier getting around it with my one man pontoon. I was not expecting much with the river at 798 cubes this morning, but found the visibility was actually decent in that section of the river.. Its definitleu stained black, as it always is after the first rain due to tannins from crushed grape skins among other things, but fishable, unlike the coffee with creamer color when its blown. Maybe there was a slide further up river in healdsburg? The river should be good when it drops after this next rain

Nice! If you don't mind saying, what fly did you hook that fish with? And what type of water?

I did notice the river clearing a little yesterday too.

Jcolin
12-06-2019, 12:03 PM
ey Jeff i hooked it on a large purple and black intruder with heavy chain link eyes. I tried different colors throughout the day, when the rivers high my instinct is always black and large but read an interesting article recently about bright colors like orange and pink in high murky water and have been experimenting. Was using opsts new commando groove intermediate skagit head, think its going to help me get deeper this season. And 10’ of T-11. It was in the middle of the first riffle downstream of johnsons beach. Many guys with decades of experience on the russian have told me to not bother with the riffles and that the fish are in deeper slower glides, and im sure its true most of the time, but ive also got 2 other wild fish in the past out of a different riffle in the lower river, so theyre definitley holding in that water sometimes. It was a lucky start to the season, last winter i didnt land a single fish on the russian and gualala. Probably will be my only grab this winter ��

Jeff F
12-09-2019, 09:12 AM
ey Jeff i hooked it on a large purple and black intruder with heavy chain link eyes. I tried different colors throughout the day, when the rivers high my instinct is always black and large but read an interesting article recently about bright colors like orange and pink in high murky water and have been experimenting. Was using opsts new commando groove intermediate skagit head, think its going to help me get deeper this season. And 10’ of T-11. It was in the middle of the first riffle downstream of johnsons beach. Many guys with decades of experience on the russian have told me to not bother with the riffles and that the fish are in deeper slower glides, and im sure its true most of the time, but ive also got 2 other wild fish in the past out of a different riffle in the lower river, so theyre definitley holding in that water sometimes. It was a lucky start to the season, last winter i didnt land a single fish on the russian and gualala. Probably will be my only grab this winter ��

Cool. Thanks for info.

River is very muddy right now. But that prevents a sea lion massacre at Jenner, and fish can come into the river unscathed.

Grassgrower
12-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Hi Jeff. Much improvement in water color since yesterday? I'm over in Napa Valley and thinking of heading over on Friday or Saturday if it doesn't rain too hard the next few days.

Thanks,

Sean

Jcolin
12-10-2019, 01:30 PM
It was a khaki color in monte rio and guerneville when i passed this morning, but its dropping fast. Went from 2020 to 1770 from this morning to now, should be pretty good this visibility by weekend maybe sooner

Grassgrower
12-12-2019, 12:00 PM
With the steady light rain has it slowed the improvement in color? Thinking about hiking down from Geyserville bridge.

Thanks again for the intel!

Sean

Jcolin
12-12-2019, 02:04 PM
I used to fish that bridge access when I lived in Calistoga, good spot for Smallmouth too in warmer months. Think the clarity would be good that far up river this weekend, not sure how many fish are up that far yet, but could be good. I think most fish up there would be wild as its upstream of dry creek where all the hatchery fish go.

Big Jim
12-13-2019, 12:11 AM
Hey guys- any updates on water conditions- may try this weekend. Down to 1450 today at HAC. What do you think good target flow would be?

Thanks. - I’m in berkeley And may drive up anyway just to get some casts in… It’s been a while since I’ve had the long rods out.

Jim

STEELIES/26c3
12-15-2019, 05:23 PM
Hey guys- any updates on water conditions- may try this weekend. Down to 1450 today at HAC. What do you think good target flow would be?

Thanks. - I’m in berkeley And may drive up anyway just to get some casts in… It’s been a while since I’ve had the long rods out.

Jim

Conditions are fishable = 1139 cfs (and dropping) at Hacienda Bridge but not a lot of fish in the system yet. No rain in forecast until Wednesday. GO!

Big Jim
12-16-2019, 03:20 AM
Thanks. I did go… And the water was fine. I had a great day fishing. Didn’t see any fish caught, -Nor did I get any action. Started at Wohler but it was crowded so I moved up - Westside rd. I don’t really have a feel for the river these days… It’s been quite a while since I fiShed it. Generally speaking, is it typical winter run fishing with Skagit lines and heavy tips and larger flys? I have gotten a lot of conflicting advice over the years About what type of water to fish and what to use, etc.

Jcolin
12-16-2019, 08:55 AM
I like swinging big winter SH flies like intruders and rabbit fur flies, but traditionally a lot of the fly fisherman used smaller flies like bosses and comets (there used to not be low flow closures early in season). Ill use something smaller like that if the waters really clear, but feel like my chances are better with a bigger fly when the waterss murkier. Getting deep enough is pretty important, as the winter fish dont seem to chase a swung fly as much as summer runs do. I know some people do well nymphing beads and glo bugs especially from a boat, and of course the roe fisherman catch the most fish.

Carl Blackledge
12-16-2019, 03:06 PM
Most of the local fly guys on the Russian river let the clarity of the water dictate what size fly they use. Most of the wild fish come in December and January. Towards the end of February and around the first of march the river has the most fish ,including a bunch of down-streamers and tons of hatchery fish, my information comes from the warm springs hatchery who receive more fish in the first two weeks of March then any other time of year...that's my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Jeff F
12-17-2019, 08:49 AM
Most of the local fly guys on the Russian river let the clarity of the water dictate what size fly they use. Most of the wild fish come in December and January and towards the end of February and around the first of march the river has the most fish ,including a bunch of down-streamers and tons of hatchery fish, my information comes from the warm springs hatchery who receive more fish in the first two weeks of March then any other time of year...that's my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Hey Carl! Are you the guy who supplies all those steelhead flies at the Outdoor Shop in Cotati?

Carl Blackledge
12-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Jeff,

Yes sir that's me.

I have tied all the steelhead flies for the Outdoor pro shop since the day they opened at least 20 years ago.

Carl Blackledge

Jeff F
12-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Jeff,

Yes sir that's me.

I have tied all the steelhead flies for the Outdoor pro shop since the day they opened at least 20 years ago.

Carl Blackledge

That's cool. I've bought quite a few of them (the Comet type ones). Is there one color that you've noticed that gets the most action on the Russian (when the water is green)?

Carl Blackledge
12-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Jeff,

That's a very hypothetical question. If I was down there and the water was low and clear I would be tossing a little gold comet-the red boss-the black boss or even a rabbit strip fly, those four are the most popular sellers. At this time of year the Rabbit strip flies are the most popular. hope that helps you?

Carl Blackledge

Jeff F
12-19-2019, 08:44 AM
Jeff,

That's a very hypothetical question. If I was down there and the water was low and clear I would be tossing a little gold comet-the red boss-the black boss or even a rabbit strip fly, those four are the most popular sellers. At this time of year the Rabbit strip flies are the most popular. hope that helps you?

Carl Blackledge

Ok cool. I just bought some of your new ones.......the black rabbit strip with blue accents and the orange bead. Looking forward to trying them out.........if the river ever comes into shape. Thanks Carl.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-19-2019, 09:30 AM
I think that the Russian River is the closest river to Sacramento that has wild and hatchery Steelhead.

You need to get as much into as possible and start going over there as long as it is not totally blown out from huge rains.

I think December through February would be a window for Winter Steelheading.

If you can go out with a Russian river veteran or a local guide you would shorten your learning curve.

Not sure but if the fishing is in the lower river near tide water it might be a single handed situation.

You need to put your time in learning this river which is quite different that the Klamath, Trinity, American, Etc.

It is really effected by the rains.....some year I can imagine it is never fishable?

Tony Buzolich
12-19-2019, 03:25 PM
When we lived in Napa I used to fish the Russian a lot. Sometimes even after work I'd drive over to Cassini Ranch and fish till dark. Comets were always my favorite fly there, mostly dark colors like purple or black with very little sparkle or flash.

More recently I've been fishing the Russian higher up in the system between Coyote Dam down to Cloverdale and down more to Warm Springs.

At both of the hatcheries, Coyote and Warm Springs, they punch holes in the tails of the steelhead they have spawned. One hatchery punches holes at the top of the tail while the other hatchery punches holes at the bottom of the tail. This allows the F&G people to identify where the steelhead was spawned and help to better track their migration patterns.

What was most amazing to me was that some of the steelhead that were released back into the river, after spawning, would move both ways again and continue to try and spawn a second time. Some of the fish would be spawned at Warm Springs and then swim all the ways up to Coyote hatchery. And the same thing in reverse. Some of the spawned fish from Coyote hatchery would swim all the way down to Warm Springs and try to spawn again before heading back down the Russian and out to sea.

Pretty amazing feat when they've got the urge.
Tony

Carl Blackledge
12-19-2019, 04:33 PM
Kinda shows you how stupid hatchery fish are? After saying that I am glad to have the "stupid ones" then none at all :)

Carl

Carl Blackledge
12-19-2019, 06:25 PM
Jeff,

That Black rabbit strip with the candy blue underbelly is one of the best selling flies in the store. So now this year I make them in all color combinations, I think the pink and purple would be killer for the Silvers and the Steelhead. Soon as the River drops below 1000 CFS I'll be going down there, perhaps I can talk Bill into joining me ?

Carl Blackledge

Jcolin
12-19-2019, 06:34 PM
Some hatchery fish make the journey all the way up to Coyote hatchery in Ukiah, instead of swimming up Dry Creek to the Warm Springs hatchery, right? I know it's a dumb question probably, but I've been perplexed when I've heard gear fisherman say that there are only wild fish above Dry Creek, because I figured most Coyote bound hatchery fish still enter from the mouth in Jenner.

I'm probably going to fish upper river like Cloverdale or Hopland Sat AM before the rains come as the viz will probably be too poor for my usual Guerneville to Monte Rio float.

Grassgrower
12-19-2019, 07:05 PM
A friend of mine put eyes on the river in Cloverdale this afternoon and said it looked like coffee with cream. I am still going to go to the Geyserville area Saturday morning. If anything a good hike down river and practice with the switch rod.

Sean

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-20-2019, 09:08 AM
50 years ago a legendary fly fisher told me that I would have a better chance of catching fish if my fly was in the water.

Jeff F
12-20-2019, 09:13 AM
A friend of mine put eyes on the river in Cloverdale this afternoon and said it looked like coffee with cream. I am still going to go to the Geyserville area Saturday morning. If anything a good hike down river and practice with the switch rod.

Sean

It's very muddy in Healdsburg today. Zero visibility.

As for the hatchery.......I went up to Warm Springs last year to have a look. I was shocked by the number of fish that were stacked up in Dry Creek and the hatchery "raceways". They're definitely doing something right at that hatchery.

Rossflyguy
12-20-2019, 03:51 PM
It's very muddy in Healdsburg today. Zero visibility.

As for the hatchery.......I went up to Warm Springs last year to have a look. I was shocked by the number of fish that were stacked up in Dry Creek and the hatchery "raceways". They're definitely doing something right at that hatchery.

It helps when the Russian is in flood stage and no one is fishing.

lee s.
12-21-2019, 01:25 PM
"Something right"....???
So we can count seven thousand fish trapped behind a closed gate in a four foot wide stream.....the HARVEST of fish was approximately twenty thousand fish annually from this river.
There is (was?) rearing ponds below Coyote dam in Ukiah from where they are (were?) released. Hence, fish in the upper river. Now IF the adipose fins were clipped.....walla.....hatchery fish. IF NOT clipped.....double walla.....WILD fish as per the powers that be. So glad clipped fins determine our wild fish and not deformed dorsal fins. A WILD steelhead of even five pounds will have a dorsal fin of at least two inches in height looking like a perfect sail.
Warmsprings needs a LOT of improving and let us begin with a GOOD, WORKABLE, PLUNGEPOOL FISHLADDER.
....LEE S.

John H
12-21-2019, 03:36 PM
Has anybody been to the Cafe in Guerneville and seen the Russian River map Bill Schaadt painted?

I was in there once and was surprised to see it. I asked and the said the word was he painted it to pay his tab at the bar next to the cafe. They also said people had asked about buying it and if you wanted it you had to buy the whole building. It is about 4x8. He signed it in the lower left corner. I found a picture of it on Flickr. Hopefully the link below works.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dumbeast/3327380130/in/photostream

Carl Blackledge
12-21-2019, 03:56 PM
John,

It used to be called "Pat's" It is still there, I am not sure that's a true story of he painted it to settle his bar tab. But maybe.

Carl

Mr T
12-23-2019, 06:49 AM
50 years ago a legendary fly fisher told me that I would have a better chance of catching fish if my fly was in the water.

A very wise person! Not sure you can reach a riffle from florida though?

Jeff F
12-23-2019, 08:45 AM
It helps when the Russian is in flood stage and no one is fishing.

Yep. Muddy water also helps the fish get through the sea lion guantlett at Jenner.