PDA

View Full Version : Lahontan Cutthroat in Tahoe?

Rossflyguy
10-16-2019, 04:53 PM
https://activenorcal.com/5000-lahontan-cutthroat-trout-reintroduced-into-their-native-lake-tahoe/

Anyone see this report? Should be epic if they establish!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-17-2019, 06:19 AM
Joe Patterson, the old Cortland Rep, told me 100 years ago Lake Tahoe was only Lahontan Cutthroat trout.

Maybe back then the fish could swim back and forth from Tahoe to Pyramid?

Then they accidentally introduced big Lake Trout / McKinaw in the Char family to lake Tahoe.

Also Kokanee / Landlock Sockeye salmon where introduced and got to 5 pounds in the 1970s.

I thought these newly introduced fish displaced the Cutthroats?

Years ago they commercial fished big Lahontan Cutthroat trout and shipped them by train to San Francisco, California.

They put Cutthroats in Martis Creek Reservoir for a while but the Brown and Rainbows took it back over.

JD
10-22-2019, 04:51 PM
I'm sure the mackinaws will find them delicious.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-22-2019, 07:45 PM
I'm sure the mackinaws will find them delicious.

I am with you.....they displaced them once already.

Tony Buzolich
10-25-2019, 05:46 PM
I'm sure they swam back and forth from Pyramid to Tahoe. If you ever want a place to eat in Truckee stop by the Wagon Wheel Cafe on Main St. and take a look at some of the pictures they have on the wall. There's one picture of guys wading in the river near Squaw Creek with pitchforks and spearing those big cutthroats. That's the commercial fishery you mentioned. They used nets too. But the fish were the size of salmon and shipped by box car to Sacramento and San Francisco.
Lots of other neat old pictures to look at if you stop in.
Tony