PDA

View Full Version : Heenan Report

gwris
10-08-2019, 12:02 PM
Spent Friday on Heenan. My first time there. Had one strike, despite trying different methods - trolling, 'catering, and cast and retrieve. Didn't get on the lake until about 11 am. By Noon, the parking lot was more than half empty. Most people that I talked to felt that it was a slow day. A buddy got there early Sat. and had the same result as me. I saw a few hook ups, but most the successful angler was jigging straight down from a float tube. Most fish that my fish finder marked were by the Dam.

BS
10-08-2019, 02:12 PM
Spent Friday on Heenan. My first time there. Had one strike, despite trying different methods - trolling, 'catering, and cast and retrieve. Didn't get on the lake until about 11 am. By Noon, the parking lot was more than half empty. Most people that I talked to felt that it was a slow day. A buddy got there early Sat. and had the same result as me. I saw a few hook ups, but most the successful angler was jigging straight down from a float tube. Most fish that my fish finder marked were by the Dam.

Thanks for the Heenan report gwris. :cool::cool:

I'v been wondering how it was fishing.

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-08-2019, 02:43 PM
It usually picks up in October after it cools off some.

gwris
10-10-2019, 06:09 PM
It was in the twenties there at night, but sixties during the day.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-10-2019, 08:57 PM
That sounds like it cooled off plenty.

Are there lots of folks up there?

Scott V
10-11-2019, 07:41 AM
I was there last Saturday the 5th and got 7 to the net and lost about another half dozen. Average size was 20" with a couple fat pigs. I'll be there again this Sunday.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-12-2019, 05:07 AM
Thanks Scott....

Any advice on lines and flies?

Scott V
10-16-2019, 07:12 AM
Thanks Scott....

Any advice on lines and flies?

Heenan is a scud lake. But I caught fish on all 4 different flies, a black wiggle tail, 2 different types and size of scuds and a Denny Rickard's Stillwater nymph.

As for lines, I take an intermediate, type 3 and a floating line with an intermediate tip. I can't do indicator fishing, to darn boring. I prefer to strip all day long.

I got 4 last Saturday, it was a tough say for me. I heard others not get a bite after the sun touched the water, but I got mine as late as 1:30.

gwris
10-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Thanks Scott. Always humbled by your fishing ability and love your reports.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-17-2019, 04:23 PM
Scott is a true Commando fly fisher and a real Outdoorsman too.

We are very fortunate to have him on our Forum.

I depend on many top anglers like Scott to keep me centered.