PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Report 10/03/2019

BS
10-03-2019, 10:13 PM
Well after a five month respite, my itchy trigger finger made me do it !!!!

On the road @ 8:00 a.m. .........I spent waaaayyyyy too much time last night making sure over and over that I had all my Pyramid gear ready to go. :o:o

So, I arrived at that "southern beach I like to frequent" just after 9:00 a.m. and rushed out to greet and chat with my pal Carmen from Sparks.
I haven't seen him since I moved to the "one to the north" beach last year.

Carmen sometimes lurks here so GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN !!!!!!!

I suited up and was in the water fishing around 9:30.

I've been experimenting and tying up some balanced minnows in Tui-Chub colors the last few days hoping to get in on the bait busting action.
Well I saw a few fish take, I assume, chubs on the surface but those were very few and far between.
So, no bait busting today.
I did see a few Grebes here and there, a Loon, some gulls, and to my surprise, not a single Pelican.

I did actually have pretty good luck with my new Tui-Chub flies under an indicator though.

I went 5 for 9 today........not too bad considering the LCT's aren't suppose to be near the shore yet. :cool::cool:
My first fish was at 11:00 a.m. and last fish was at 3:30 p.m..
One was a little larger than a rat....not by much though. :mad::mad:
Curious enough, most of my strikes and landed fish were within 40 feet in front of me. :eek::eek:

And the crowds.......at most, I think I counted 8 fishermen dwindling down to just me by myself for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

I could see just a "few" trucks/cars at Sandhole and Indian Head too.

There were four different groups of campers that had set up on the beach when I called it quits @ 5:45 this evening.

It was great to get back out to the big lake and huck some bobbers and meat around to the fishes again............ and even land some too !!!! ;);)

So, there you have it, my first 2019-2020 Pyramid Report !!!! :D:D

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-04-2019, 05:14 AM
Pretty cool Bob..............thanks.

Do you use a ladder?

BS
10-04-2019, 06:23 AM
Do you use a ladder?

Nope, no ladder for me Bill.
I just wade the shore up to my ..........mmmm........uhhhh.........upper thighs, yeah that's it, upper thighs. :D:D

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-04-2019, 04:58 PM
We just waded 50 years ago before they had ladders.

STEELIES/26c3
10-07-2019, 11:07 PM
My buddy got a 36" LCT there over the weekend. He was jigging the bottom with plastic minnow imitations...

Mr T
10-08-2019, 08:09 AM
I’m gonna run up Friday night and fish Saturday. Been years, what flies should I be bringing? Use to fish a pair of wooly worms on a fast sink line but I’m not sure?

BS
10-08-2019, 01:44 PM
I’m gonna run up Friday night and fish Saturday. Been years, what flies should I be bringing? Use to fish a pair of wooly worms on a fast sink line but I’m not sure?

I'll give this a try Mr T,

For stripping on the bottom, try black or olive wooly bugger/worm followed by an origional Popcorn Beetle (chartreuse/white) or a boobie in the same chartreuse/white color.
My pal Carmen did VERY well last week in the early a.m. stripping on this set up.
Of course, sometimes things change from day to day, but a dark fly followed by a light colored floating fly usually does the trick. :cool::cool:

If you want to cast then strip a streamer at various depths, try an olive over chartreuse over golden-tan over white streamer.
Vary your stripping speed each cast, trying slow to as fast as you can.
The fish are on the "hunt" for Tui-Chubs right now and they'll chase and grab a fast moving fly.

If you try a 'cator or floating line no 'cator, try a balanced leech in black or olive or a balanced Tui-Chub minnow, once again in the olive over chartreuse over golden-tan over white is the ticket for matching the Tui-chub colors.

The fish are looking for meat right now so big flies will work.
You don't have to toss your flies a mile out there either.
Most of my strikes and hook-ups while fishing with an indicator were within 50 feet of the shore.
The LCT's are moving from the deep water to the < 10' water looking for the Tui-Chubs near the shelves then retreating back to the deeper cooler water.......... after they grab a Scoobie Snack. :D:D

I'm going again tomorrow to try out my "new" balanced Tui-Chub minnows, version 3.0, :rolleyes: that I've been working on.

Report to follow tomorrow night.

Good luck out there and let us know you did !! :D:D:D

Bob

Mr T
10-09-2019, 10:26 AM
hey bob thanks for the info- priceless! Will get to work tonight on the vice!

Mr T
10-09-2019, 11:20 AM

A start