PDA

View Full Version : They're finally home.

Ed Wahl
09-23-2019, 12:25 PM
The Paiute's are finally back in their home range.

ftp://ftp.wildlife.ca.gov/OCEO/Paiute%20Cutthroat%20Trout/CA%20Dept%20of%20Fish%20and%20Wildlife/Video/PCT_Release_CDFW_B-Roll.mp4

ptychocheilus
09-24-2019, 08:41 AM
Pretty awesome! Hope they can keep the bucket brigade out...

Ed Wahl
09-24-2019, 06:20 PM
Hi P, I got hooked on fishing in the early '70's while living in Soddy Daisy right on the bank at Bass Bay. That one summer was all it took. Bass, Catfish, 'Gills, Drum, trotlines with the local commercial guys, it was heaven on earth for a born fisher-child. My two brothers and older sister all fished that summer but I was the only one that really caught the fever. Good times.

ptychocheilus
09-25-2019, 09:24 AM
Maybe some folks are just predisposed to become fish-obsessed. ;)

We've got some amazing fishing around here, but I would love to have seen that river before the dams went in...

I only spent a couple years in CA, but still miss many of the fisheries and friends I made there. Haven't been back since 2015 -- probably ought to correct that soon.

Lew Riffle
09-30-2019, 07:08 PM
Just for the record this is the second planting. First was two years ago but that seems to be to long for CDFW to remember!https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Science-Institute/News/bringing-the-paiute-cutthroat-trout-home

Ed Wahl
09-30-2019, 09:47 PM
Lew, you missed this in the article.

." In order to offset the resulting population decline, the partner agencies caught 86 pure PCT in North Fork Cottonwood Creek. On August 23, 2017, the fish were planted back into Silver King Creek above Llewellyn Falls."

The native range for the PCT is BELOW Llewellyn Falls. That's where the planting the other week occurred, in their actual native range.

It was the Basque sheepherders who moved the originals above the falls in the early 1900's.

Tight lines brother.
Ed

Ed Wahl
09-30-2019, 09:52 PM
Um, does anyone know why that came out green?

OceanSunfish
09-30-2019, 10:39 PM
Um, does anyone know why that came out green?

Built in "Fact Checker"........ "Green" = Truth :)

Lew Riffle
10-01-2019, 07:05 AM
Thanks Ed for the clarification. Makes perfect sense all the way around. Could you cite the article you are referring to? Read several but I suppose I was not seeing the "green"! LEW

Ralph
10-01-2019, 09:14 AM
Maybe some folks are just predisposed to become fish-obsessed. ;)

We've got some amazing fishing around here, but I would love to have seen that river before the dams went in...

I only spent a couple years in CA, but still miss many of the fisheries and friends I made there. Haven't been back since 2015 -- probably ought to correct that soon.

Dave, come out! What dammed river are you referring to? I can't open the link, the answer is probably in there. Truchas in the spring?

Ed Wahl
10-01-2019, 09:15 PM
Ralph, I saw his location listed as Chattanooga, I mentioned Soddy Daisy because it's a suburb of Chattanooga. Both are right by Lake Chickamauga, a dammed up portion of the Tennessee River.

Lew, that's copied from the link you posted.:D

Ralph
10-02-2019, 08:47 AM
Thanks Ed. Dave is a good friend. I hope he gets out here next year, or that at the least, we can team up again and go hunt trout in the mountains of Mexican this spring.

ptychocheilus
10-03-2019, 05:13 PM
Sorry, was out doing stream surveys the past couple of days. Yes, I meant the Tennessee River, thanks Ed!

Ralph, I'm teaching next spring so MX is dependent on scheduling. Summer vacation plans are under current discussion though, and a run west is high on the list... will keep you in the loop.

Might have to bring snorkelling gear and the camera and go swim with Paiutes! :)