PDA

View Full Version : Fall is a favorite time of year for many fly flingers.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-21-2019, 08:04 AM
Sept/Oct/Nov is hard to beat in Nor Cal.

We have Steelhead in most long rivers in the PNW.

Salmon are usually in the lower Klamath and Rogue rivers.

Stripers are moving into the Bays and Delta.

Bass & panfish get more active in the Fall.

Trout in most mid-elevation streams are hungry.

Most trout lakes turn on with the cooler nights.

It is time to plan some Fall trips before the cold weather sets in.

Contact me if you need any help.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-21-2019, 08:07 AM
Where are you going this Fall?

Idadon
09-21-2019, 08:29 AM
South Texas! Going to spend 6 months just south of Kingsville. Taking my new kayak to fish the flats down by Port Isabel and around Corpus Christi. Deadset on catching a 50” Red and a 30” Speck. Oh yeah, hoping for some big Flounder early on! Wish me luck with this kayak adventure.

hwchubb
09-21-2019, 01:42 PM
There’s such things as a 30” speck? TX coast has been on my bucket list for 20 years. Keep us updated on the quest!

4 days later this week on the lower Trinity / Klamath is the only set plan. Weather forecast has raised the unrealistic expectations that I promised I wouldn’t get this time...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-21-2019, 02:19 PM
South Texas! Going to spend 6 months just south of Kingsville. Taking my new kayak to fish the flats down by Port Isabel and around Corpus Christi. Deadset on catching a 50” Red and a 30” Speck. Oh yeah, hoping for some big Flounder early on! Wish me luck with this kayak adventure.

October/November and June are prime months on the Gulf for Redfish. Nov for big ones.....

We leave in a week for 3 months in Florida.

Idadon
09-21-2019, 03:04 PM
Going to stay about 100 yds from Baffin Bay. Home of giant Specks. Specks over 25” are caught fairly often by those who know where to go. I’m not so well versed on locations but I can dream. The 50” Red is probably more realistic. Managed a 45” last year so another 5” seems reachable.

I really do miss my coastal rivers but can’t be out west in October and on the Gulf at the same time. All things considered, my first love will always be a big, bright just out of the salt Steelhead but Texas is really sweet too. Good luck out there!

PV_Premier
09-22-2019, 11:06 AM
My wishlist for the next 6 months...if I execute on 50% of it, I'll be thrilled...

September is shot with work...probably no more fishing this month :(
Upper Sac with the Mrs. for a weekend in late October or early November
3 trips to the Trinity or Klamath (only one planned so far) between November and Feb
FL Keys in January (gear fishing)
2 trips to the coastal rivers for steelhead between Jan and March (always so fickle when it comes to flows and timing)
Visit a friend in NZ for a week in late March or early April

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-22-2019, 11:42 AM
I guess you are planning your retirement too?

PV_Premier
09-22-2019, 12:04 PM
I guess you are planning your retirement too?

Also on my wishlist but not in the next 6 months nor 6 years. Work hard play hard fish hard. Don’t leave vacation days on the table.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-22-2019, 12:42 PM
Excellent......