PDA

View Full Version : Wow......feels like Fall is here?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-07-2019, 07:36 PM
It is in the 50s at night here in the Valley.

September 7.........

Below freezing at night in Mammoth Lakes.

Mr T
09-08-2019, 05:54 AM
Summer appears over doesn’t it??

Made a trip to Oroville yesterday and even there it was quite pleasant.

PV_Premier
09-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Our memories are so short, it does this almost every year. Cool for a few days or so between late August and mid September with these first passing weather systems, but it always gets hot again.

Long range forecast calls for highs of 95-100 in Sacramento again next weekend.

Sorry to be a wet (dry?) blanket but we are not done with summer yet...maybe if we are lucky we are done with the 100 degree days, but I doubt it.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-08-2019, 05:51 PM
Yes, September does always have lots of warm days......

BS
09-09-2019, 07:13 AM
40.5 degrees here in Carson City @ 7:00 a.m. this morning. :D

Bob

Mark Kranhold
09-09-2019, 12:31 PM
Boy I do love wet wading, much easier and safer! I will miss it, especially after witnessing a guy almost drowning at the lower sailor bar island in spring. His poor dog was swimming around him in circles as he was bobbing up and down. I was just wading back to shore to run up river and dive in to rescue him and saw he got to a shallow spot and regained his footing. He quickly got back to shore and stripped off his waders and emptied them out and sat there watching his life flash in front of him… Scary!! Never found out who he was, ... Cinch up those wading belts folks!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Boy I do love wet wading, much easier and safer! I will miss it, especially after witnessing a guy almost drowning at the lower sailor bar island in spring. His poor dog was swimming around him in circles as he was bobbing up and down. I was just wading back to shore to run up river and dive in to rescue him and saw he got to a shallow spot and regained his footing. He quickly got back to shore and stripped off his waders and emptied them out and sat there watching his life flash in front of him… Scary!! Never found out who he was, ... Cinch up those wading belts folks!

In my 70s I won't go alone and won't go in as deep as I did many years ago.

avidangler
09-09-2019, 04:18 PM
If that guy had a tight wading belt he would have been ok. I wade everywhere. I'm in my late 40's but luckily I'm still burly lol

Idadon
09-10-2019, 04:02 AM
I feel your pain Bill! Very few deep wading days left in my legs. Lately I’ve taken to wearing an inflatable PFD when I’m on or in the water. I’ve always belted my waders tight but after a cold dunk in Box Canyon of the Henrys Fork I added the PFD.

Back to the subject, Somebody turned the “Summer” switch off here in the northern Rockies too. Went straight from the 90’s to the 60’s overnight. Local weather guy was giving us a reasonable chance of seeing some snow above 7000 ft. Time to head south soon!

EricO
09-10-2019, 02:59 PM
I've been thinking about a PFD for float tubing. My buddy's float tube started leaking last year, but we were
still on the bank. Was thinking what would have happened if it popped and deflated quickly while he was in
the middle of the lake and in waders.

Will probably purchase one. Better safe than sorry right?

Eric

Mark Kranhold
09-10-2019, 07:24 PM
I agree Eric, been thinking about this for years. Those float tubes usually have a significant amount of foam in the seat and backrest that should keep you afloat!

Odonata
09-10-2019, 08:50 PM
A PFD is not a bad idea. There are some PFD's made for kayaking which are very nice for fishing. I have an NRS Chinook which I also use for surf fishing -- another pursuit which poses a drowning hazard. I think the older model (the one I have) is on sale at various places, too. Lots of pockets and features. The major manufacturers like Astral and Stohlquist make similar kinds of things.

It is probably a good idea to try them on before you buy though -- fit and features are very personal.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-11-2019, 08:46 PM
A PFD is not a bad idea. There are some PFD's made for kayaking which are very nice for fishing. I have an NRS Chinook which I also use for surf fishing -- another pursuit which poses a drowning hazard. I think the older model (the one I have) is on sale at various places, too. Lots of pockets and features. The major manufacturers like Astral and Stohlquist make similar kinds of things.

It is probably a good idea to try them on before you buy though -- fit and features are very personal.

Yes, buy yourself a good quality canoe/kayak PFD which will be much more comfortable.

aaron
09-14-2019, 10:44 AM
Fall is most definatley here in the Rockies.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48731704782_ed54592426_z.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48731705697_953fd5f911_z.jpg

JohnR
09-14-2019, 11:37 AM
Aaron, what breed is that? Gorgeous dog!

John

aaron
09-14-2019, 01:55 PM
Aaron, what breed is that? Gorgeous dog!

John

Llewellin, just shy of 7 months. He’s figuring this Fall thing out pretty well.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2019, 05:56 PM
Glad to see you are bird hunting......

Ed Wahl
09-14-2019, 06:03 PM
That's one good lookin Setter Aaron.

aaron
09-15-2019, 05:03 PM
That's one good lookin Setter Aaron.

Thanks Ed, if I can get back to CA around thanksgiving I'll try to get with Ted and chase some quail.

Ed Wahl
09-16-2019, 12:29 AM
Aaron, I've got a membership at Hastings Island and my dogs are ailing. Shoot me a line when you're in town and we'll put your dog on some club birds. Maybe we can get Ted and Colt out there too.

aaron
09-20-2019, 07:23 PM
Aaron, I've got a membership at Hastings Island and my dogs are ailing. Shoot me a line when you're in town and we'll put your dog on some club birds. Maybe we can get Ted and Colt out there too.

That would be fun, I'll be in touch!