PDA

View Full Version : Fourth try....Hwy 88 lakes again..........................

BS
09-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Yesterday I gave the “beautiful high Sierra lake tucked against a mountain...” a final shot for the year.
I say "final shot" as there is a sign posted in the day use area saying it will be closed for the year, in about a week and a half. :(:(

Loaded up the float tube, 2wt two hander, some snacks, and was on the road again.

Once again, I didn't see ANY anglers in Hope Valley on the way up.
And, Red Lake was still bright green as well. :mad::mad:

I was on the water at 10:00 and started searching out those colored up brookies.

Well, two weeks ago the colored up brookies were the majority of fish I caught.
Yesterday, the majority of my fish landed were smallish rainbows. :confused::confused:

I did land three colored up, very small, brooks just before dark in some very shallow water. :):)

I never did find the "magic bullet" in my fly box either.
The fish really didn't have any particular preference for size, color, or profile.
I had equal results with everything I tried.

I was very pleased how my little eight foot 2wt single hand converted to two hand rod performed too.
It's a very nice casting lightweight rod for small fish.
I'm convinced that two-hand underhand (roll cast) casting on ponds and lakes is the "cats meow". :D:D
For me, two handed roll casting (with an optimal set-up) requires much less effort and I can get more distance than single handing.

So, for an all day 9 hour effort, I landed about a dozen and a half +- similar to my two weeks ago trip.

I'll re-visit earlier next year and see how that goes !!!!! :cool::cool:

Bob

Woodman
09-15-2019, 01:35 PM
I was up there this morning. More of a hike than a fishing trip. The wind was howling once I got up to a lake tucked up against a mountain.

Haven't been by Red Lake in quite some time until this weekend...what a mess.